1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Noisey TEAC 3340s

Discussion in 'Tape' started by T3GTerry, Aug 3, 2018.

1. T3GTerry

T3GTerry New Member

Who is the resident expert on TEAC R2R? I have a 3340s. When i turn it on there is a noise, almost static like, that starts out low and increases over about a 30 second period. The noise is in all channels. Very much like an old tube radio warming up. Once you start playing a tape, both right channels start fading out. Just from my initial glance I am guessing power supply caps and line out card. Any ideas?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dave_n_s

dave_n_s AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'd look at the DC output of the power supply first then if that OK, start without tape, inject a sine wave into line in and follow it along the audio path,expecting to find a common supply problem to one stage across all channels.

3. T3GTerry

T3GTerry New Member

Got all new caps coming for the PS. Was counting on doing some caps when I bought it.

4. T3GTerry

T3GTerry New Member

Recapped the power supply. All the humming is gone now.

TR6man98 likes this.
  5. T3GTerry

T3GTerry New Member

Oops. Light hum in audio all channels when tape is not playing. Suspect something in power supply is still not right. Also have a Hitachi transistor gradually failing as it warms up.