Noisy Headphone Jack on Marantz 1030?

Ak1337azn

Guys, I recently picked up an integrated Marantz and it sounds great--save for the fact that plugging in a pair of headphones results in some fairly noticeable static and perhaps even some faint humming that won't change despite any volume adjustment.

To be clear, there's some faint static that's heard through my speakers as well, although it's my understanding that this is quite normal. I've tried cleaning the jack with some contact cleaner and lube and I've already gone through every other pot and switch I could find.

Additionally, this particular model has pre-out/main-in jacks in the back. I noticed removing the jumpers does away with any soundcompletely (including the static). Of course, I went and cleaned these up as well. No dice.

Am I right to assume that the fault lies in the transistors? If so, why is it that the speakers sound just fine? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I also wanted to throw in there that my 2215b sounds just fine through my headphones.

Thank you.

earlier in the troubleshooting. could be a bad solder joint at the headphone jack, speaker terminals
(esp if the headphone jack is a tap off the output to the speakers, could be crap in the headphone
jack (trace the connection in the HJ - speaker connection is broken when HD jacked in and
closed when no HD jack, there is a simple metal-to-metal contact).

try different sources into main, bypassing preamp signal processing and switches. if no noise
then its in the preamp and/or the source selectors. then try tape in, which is usually after the
input selector. (check schematic) if no noise then it's earlier in the sound chain.

then work backwards, if its a dirty contact, look into the selector switch.

what/how did you clean with,

this could also be introduced into the 1030 from your source, or crud on the input jacks.

check all possible combination of switching, including tape monitors, loudness, bass/treble/bypass
controls, etc. anywhere the signal travels.

Back
Top Bottom