Noisy transformer buzzing

allanmatters

Hello fellow AK'ers

Was hoping if I could get some help on this . I did read many forums here on the subject noisy transformer as well as other forums . Read about vanishing resin potting etc all the differences.
The transformer in my pioneer a-7 makes loud buzz after 30mins to 40 mins with use or even with it just left ON with zero volume . The system has been repaired by a technican previously due to other problems. However the noise was there before that repair as well . I am sure it is from the power transformer only . I had removed the metal case around the PT and poured hot wood varnish partially on some of the laminated plates back in 2013 while the PT was also quite hot during this experiment . The sound went away completely and returned less than a year again

There are 4 holes in the transformer laminations in the horizontal position and the laminations are in vertical position

I plan on pouring insulated varnish and putting 4 long screws across with washers to tighten it

Have some questions though which I have doubt on

1- what's the difference between fully cased transformer like the sansui 9090DB and the one in the pioneer a-7? As an example I am asking ..

Because in my transformer it's is partly cased in one direction around with 4 holes but no screws , while in the sansui, it's Fully cased Box with screws and nuts

I plan to apply the insulator while the PT is hot And then put 4 long screws to tighten it ,

Note - I have no case on my laminations of the transformer ATM as I had removed it back in 2013 when I poured the varnish .

Last edited:
Ok so I just decided to put 4 screws without any insulator varnish . I made them tight as like 98% tight . Waiting .....

Here are some pics for you
Of corse it is assembled now

Attachments

• IMG_3088.JPG
    IMG_3088.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 113
Any how took off the screws . I am sure even with flat head screws it's not going to make a difference . I guess I will go with insulation varnish now . How about if I put a CPU fan on the top to cool the PT . ?

Last resort is rewinding of coils which I will give of course to the tech so he can disconnect the PT and give it to the coil winding people ..

Sounds like the transformer is vibrating mechanically. Try installing a thin, rubber pad underneath the trans. Old hard drives sometimes have a pad around them. I have also used the pad that's left over after using up my 3M Bumpons. They sell (here in the US anyway) rubber drawer liners for kitchen use. Thin weather-stripping may work too.

Sounds like the transformer is vibrating mechanically. Try installing a thin, rubber pad underneath the trans. Old hard drives sometimes have a pad around them. I have also used the pad that's left over after using up my 3M Bumpons. They sell (here in the US anyway) rubber drawer liners for kitchen use. Thin weather-stripping may work too.
Thanks allot for the tips . Is it safe in terms of heat dissipation? Cause doesn't the chassis help transfer heat from the PT ?
Anyway sound s mechanical yes but it is coming from right inside the PT as the freq of the sound it high , not the big hum but high buzz . By default there is a hum when u switch on the amplifier when it's in cool state . That low hum is fine .(and it takes 25 mins for that high freq sound to get loud gradually with no load also

You will understand from my video

A Low Tech Solution
A block of wood tightly sandwiched between daily performer Yamaha RX-1100u receiver transformer and the top casing stopped the vibration noise, seemingly the transformer has been reformed and doesen't act up even years later.

Check out this video I just posted . In this video I lift up the transformer with my fingers and the sound reduces a bit but the high freq sound is still present . In this case as a quick experiment I used just my fingers to hold it which means putting gromets would not solve the problem I guess or even a block of wood @tubed

Last edited:
Also after 50 mins I am able to touch the transformer with my fingers for just 5-8 seconds max as it is pretty hot . Is that normal with no load ?

Also after 50 mins I am able to touch the transformer with my fingers for just 5-8 seconds max as it is pretty hot . Is that normal with no load ?
5 to 8 seconds doesn't sound that hot but it still sounds a bit warm, like it's either under heavy load -- perhaps from a short either inside or outside the transformer -- or a non-sinusoidal supply. You aren't running it with some sort of power conditioner, are you?

No no power conditioner running and other no other appliances just the system . What do you mean by Short either side from the transformer. It has two cover like brackets where the primary and secondary wires go in . Is it OK if I pull those outer brackets apart and have a look ?

No no power conditioner running and other no other appliances just the system . What do you mean by Short either side from the transformer. It has two cover like brackets where the primary and secondary wires go in . Is it OK if I pull those outer brackets apart and have a look ?
A short outside the transformer means a short in the circuitry powered by the transformer.

A short inside the transformer means a failure of the insulation on the windings, which typically causes them to short to each other or the transformer laminations.

Thank you for clarifying Dave , . Did you understand the frequency of the sound in the video ?. I know it might be hard to judge . But yea so far it is mechanical . But question is, is it the laminations buzzing ,? Or are the windings inside buzzing? . Form what understand it's the winding inside the laminations buzzing

Thank you for clarifying Dave , . Did you understand the frequency of the sound in the video ?. I know it might be hard to judge . But yea so far it is mechanical . But question is, is it the laminations buzzing ,? Or are the windings inside buzzing? . Form what understand it's the winding inside the laminations buzzing
Hard to tell what's physically buzzing, but I would try disconnecting the secondary windings and powering it up to see if it's as loud.

Unfortunately I am not qualified to know how to spot the secondary windings .. so I won't be attempting that . But i do appreciate the tips ..I need to educate myself on the difference between the secondary and primary :D

The primary windings are connected to the supply from the wall plug. The secondary windings power the circuitry of the amplifier.

Back
Top Bottom