Non-DAC wifi audio receiver options?

Jim Detloff

Hi friends! Just back into the hifi hobby after many years away! I have a high quality Schiit Audio DAC hooked up to my system, and have been using my Samsung Qled TV with an Amazon Firestick via optical output into the optical input of my DAC to stream music from my Spotify account. Problem is, I don't want to chance screen burn in with the Spotify images being so static...and there's no way to go into screensaver mode, or turn the display off without killing the audio stream. So... I'm looking for a simple wifi receiver with NO DAC that Spotify will recognize as a usable device on my Spotify Connect app that I can connect to my Schiit Audio DAC...preferably via coax rca...so I can still leave the TV connected to the optical input of my DAC for movies, sports, etc. Any suggestions/ideas? I can't seem to find anything like this out there. If absolutely necessary, I'll go with a DAC wifi receiver with analog RCA outs...but I'd rather use my current DAC if at all possible!
Thanks!

Burn in shouldn't be an issue with your Samsung QLED, its design took into account Game burn in. We are running the same front end (Fire Stick>>> Samsung TV>>> to Amp) for back ground music and have had zero "burn-in". Not sure if you will be able to find a WiFi amp without a DAC, no worries hook your audio rca's out of the Schitt into the Aux of the amp.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Chromecast Audio? It has a DAC, but it also has an optical SPDIF output.

https://www.spotify.com/uk/chromecastaudio/

I took that to mean a receiver in the old school sense but a new WiFi enabled without a DAC onboard. The Firestick does everything you can do with a CCA except it’s HDMI straight into the TV. Clearifcation may help. I have mine Firestick>>>Pass through the TV>>>SMSL AD18>>> Klispch R-51M’s. I am thinking he wants a receiver where my SMSL is :dunno:, I am often wrong ;)

:beerchug:

Last edited:
I think the latest Chromecast (version 3, video, not the CCA) lets you use it in music mode now, where you can simply plug it into a TV, receiver, etc. and stream music, and control it similarly to how a CCA is controlled (where you can group it in with other audio devices to play in sync). I actually have streamed music with my first gen Chromecast into the Oppo's HDMI input, and it worked quite well with Pandora and others just for music. But, it could not be grouped with other CCA or Chromecast-audio-capable devices--it was treated as a video device in that respect.

Can apps be added to the fire stick ? I have a little cheap Sony DVD player that I keep hooked up, just for the Stingray Qello app it has in it . I would love to get it on a more convenient devise like the fire stick, CC, or Ruko.

Can apps be added to the fire stick ? I have a little cheap Sony DVD player that I keep hooked up, just for the Stingray Qello app it has in it . I would love to get it on a more convenient devise like the fire stick, CC, or Ruko.

Yes, I have Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, Netflix, etc. You can add most anything that is out there for media playback.

How dose it sound compared to the CCA?

I never have done a direct comparison. The CCA is in my main system in my sig. The Firestick is: Firestick>>> Optical out of TV>>> SMSL AD18>>> R-51M’s. Sounds good enough for what it is set up in. It is mostly for streaming all our TV needs. Also it’s the GF’s stereo for her Pandora, Spotify and Amazon music. Since the R-51M’s and SMSL where added it is being used for background a lot the last week.

I am at home f-oing off today and actually comparing Spotify free from the Firestick to the Spotify free BT from my phone. From the Firestick is noticeable better, but my hearing is also still very good. Found out last week my 78 yr old pops couldn’t tell the difference any more between BT and a CD in a really nice system, the difference was obvious so YMMV, he was bummed to say the least.

I thought about running the CCA optical to the SMSL to compare for you but then the TV won’t be in the chain :dunno:

My go to streaming (which is back ground) is the CCA in the main system. And it sounds as good or better than CDs in my system so I have caught myself going up to the loft for a vinyl session and it turns into a couple of hours of Tidal :confused:

Sorry I’m not much more help.

Also since it has been in this thread (I think). I set up some thermocouples on the CCA top and bottom. 77-82f over 24hrs on top, 83-87 on bottom. 2 hours of use 85 top, 87 bottom.

You been a great help, thanks . I will go pick a fire stick up at Best Buy for a try. If it just gets me the Stingray app I will be happy.
I see there is even a 4k one now, so along with my 205 I will have two 4k capable things, waiting for the 4k TV.

Tried the fire stick for a week , it worked ok, didn't sound any better than the CCA playing Tidal or Deezer, and I didn't like the home page display. Very confusing .
I returned it and got a Roku Stick+.
This is the best so far . easy setup, user friendly , no guessing on the home page, and most of all it sounds great with Deezer .
The only thing missing is Tidal, which I don't really care for that much. It even has Qello.
I can even power it from the USB port on the rear of my Oppo, which saves me a outlet on the power conditioner.

This one is a keeper.

Tried the fire stick for a week , it worked ok, didn't sound any better than the CCA playing Tidal or Deezer, and I didn't like the home page display. Very confusing .
I returned it and got a Roku Stick+.
This is the best so far . easy setup, user friendly , no guessing on the home page, and most of all it sounds great with Deezer .
The only thing missing is Tidal, which I don't really care for that much. It even has Qello.
I can even power it from the USB port on the rear of my Oppo, which saves me a outlet on the power conditioner.

This one is a keeper.

Yeah, I really don’t like any of the music app MMI on Firestick. It’s much nicer controlling them from a phone or tablet to my CCA. Spotify will let you control the Firestick from another device, Tidal not so much. But since my Firestick is 95% video streaming and not music so much it’s not that big of a deal.

Back
Top Bottom