1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Noob capacitor question

Discussion in 'DIY' started by cabby, Feb 10, 2018.

1. cabby

cabby Active Member

I'm getting ready to refoam a pair of old Acoustics Research speakers. While in there, I took a peak at the crossovers. It looks like the capacitor is soldered on directly to the mini circuit board. It doesn't have the two leads coming out on either side like commonly seen, but rather two leads on same side soldered on to board.

1. First of all, I'll assume 3 MFD is same as 3 uF.
    2. What type of capacitor is this, and where do I find a pair ?

20180209_224846.jpg
    THanks !

Cabs

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

yup, electrolytic 3µF 50V.

Go to parts-express and get a pair of Dayton Audio or Solen Metallized Polypropylene caps for a few bucks a pop. They sound better than electrolytic. Higher voltage is ok.

3. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

What he said. Cap you get will probably be axial, no problem, just set one lead in the hole, put spaghetti over the other lead, make it fit.

4. cabby

cabby Active Member

OK got it! the orientation of lead doesn't matter as long as the leads are soldered on !:banana:
    thanks gentlemen.

5. JMiP

JMiP AK Subscriber Subscriber

How do you remove that gluey stuff that seems to be holding the capacitor to the resistor? And do you have to replace that gluey stuff when the new parts are in place?

6. steveUK

steveUK AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's just a silicon type substance, or hot glue gun glue. Pull and prise it off with your fingers or tools, whatever, just be careful not to slip. You don't really have to replace it, it's a 'belt and braces' approach to robustness and reliability by the manufacturer so as to limit the possibility of the component leg breaking if exposed to high vibration levels. I've just recapped the crossovers on a Realistic Mach 2 speakers and they weren't glued in place, and that speaker is a window shatterer. If you pull the legs down through the PCB nice and taught (not enough to break them or do damage) you should be ok, but if in doubt, apply hot glue or silicon to hold it in place.

Please register to disable this ad.