Norah Jones - The Fall

Art K.

The Voodoo You Do!
Norah Jones - The Fall

Mixed bag. "Back to Manhatten" seems the closest to evolution that we get on the record. "December" is classic Norah, nothing new but if it ain't broke...

A blending of the old Nora and this strange mess that she is experimenting with on this record are "Tell Yer Mama" and "Man of the Hour". Not bad.

Seems that several songs are an attempt to pander to critics by presenting something new and different, a visit to her dark side, but in the end it sounds more like a failed attempt to reach the stars already long ago reached by Neko Case, The White Stripes and Lorreta Lynn and others. Thankfully, like Cassandra Wilson on "Thunderbird" and Lucinda Williams on "Honey Bee", Nora and her producers can't hide her talent in a bunch of electronic mess and she still shines through, but on some of these songs it's more like a peak of sunshine through the clouds.

All in all it's a keeper, but I'm looking forward to the next one, more as redemption than anything else.

Last edited:
what a huge talent this young woman is..her best is probably still decades off..overproducing such a pure, natural artist is a crime against nature..

You know, when I first heard her years ago, I thought of her as a modern day Billie Holiday. I'd love to hear what Norah could do with some Billie Holiday, Patsy Cline, or maybe even some Etta James tunes. To me, new stuff is all well and fine, but a fine new rendition of a popular older song is also the cat's meow.

Retro

You know, when I first heard her years ago, I thought of her as a modern day Billie Holiday. I'd love to hear what Nora could do with some Billie Holiday, Patsy Cline, or maybe even some Etta James tunes. To me, new stuff is all well and fine, but a fine new rendition of a popular older song is also the cat's meow.

Retro

Have you listened to Madeleine Peyroux, Retro. If not, you really need to. Talk about sounding like Billie. Madeleine also has a voice and sound of her own. I met her at the Mt Hood Jazz festival a few years ago, and her band was great...does Larry Goldings on B3 sound worthy.

x2 re: Madeleine. I really need to add one of Nora Jones' albums to my collection... I keep hearing about her... have heard her but I guess I must not have paid a lot of attention yet. Thanks for the review!

There's also a music video she has of a concert in New Orleans at a small venue (it's a few years old now). Sorry I can't give the exact title -- I've loaned it and that DVD has a hard time staying here, someone's always borrowing it.

Moving on….

I like Nora’s stuff so far (Including the movie My blueberry nights) so The Fall is on my “to get” list.

Moderators note: There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, AK invites opinions of all kinds. Like something, don't like something, it doesn't matter. But be respectful to other members even when you disagree about which side of the fence you come down on.

This is a review of a cd by Art K.I am going to edit some comments.

Thank you.

Would like to hear more abot the CD since I have been considering buying it.
I have heard "Chasing Pirates", Different than the usual Nora but OK. Cute video.

Thank you.

Would like to hear more abot the CD since I have been considering buying it.
I have heard "Chasing Pirates", Different than the usual Nora but OK. Cute video.

I'm going to give it a couple of more listens over the long Thanksgiving weekend and see if it resonates differently with me and report back here. Thank you for asking. Any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Found out the name of the DVD I was mentioning above. It's "Live in New Orleans", at the House of Blues in 2002. If you haven't seen Nora and her band live, this may be a way to get a sense of where her artistry was a few years back.

As for the original topic of "The Fall," I haven't heard all of it so I can't give my opinion of this effort on the whole, but I'd have to agree with Art K. that it's a mixed bag. Still, one of the things I appreciate is that as an artist Nora is willing to go in different directions and not stay fixed in the 'tried and true'. IMO, you have to give credit to any artist that is willing to continue to evolve and change. Sometimes it'll be hits, and other times misses, but all-in-all, preferable over staying in place.

Found out the name of the DVD I was mentioning above. It's "Live in New Orleans", at the House of Blues in 2002. If you haven't seen Nora and her band live, this may be a way to get a sense of where her artistry was a few years back.

As for the original topic of "The Fall," I haven't heard all of it so I can't give my opinion of this effort on the whole, but I'd have to agree with Art K. that it's a mixed bag. Still, one of the things I appreciate is that as an artist Nora is willing to go in different directions and not stay fixed in the 'tried and true'. IMO, you have to give credit to any artist that is willing to continue to evolve and change. Sometimes it'll be hits, and other times misses, but all-in-all, preferable over staying in place.

Totally agree...she's taking risks and that's not altogether a bad thing.

How does the DVD sound?

I keep hearing the fall cd is not that great sounding , a lot of digital type distortions ?? what did you think ?
I am waiting as the Vinyl is on backorder ......

Back
Top Bottom