North Texas

Welcome to the asylum. This is one place where nerds of any kind fit in quite nicely. As you can see from my sig, I am a Marantz nerd. Kind of reliving my youth since a Marantz 2230 was my first piece of quality audio gear - bought new in 1972. Tell us about your system or the one you want to build.

Welcome to the asylum. This is one place where nerds of any kind fit in quite nicely. As you can see from my sig, I am a Marantz nerd. Kind of reliving my youth since a Marantz 2230 was my first piece of quality audio gear - bought new in 1972. Tell us about your system or the one you want to build.

Currently running a BIC 40Z TT and Yamaha CD changer through a Goodwill Pioneer S450 to some Yamaha largeish bookshelves. Trying to upgrade all of it on a dime. Considering that a month ago I was running Pandora through my TV to a junk Pioneer plastic receiver to the same speakers, I've come a long way.

I've been hunting deals wherever I can. The BIC was an ebay "parts" table they just needed grease and a cartridge. I paid $7 each for the receiver and CD player.

That’s a good way to do it. Lots of bargains on some very good sounding equipment out there. You just have to do your research to winnow out the good from the not so good and slowly build up your system. Welcome aboard!:beerchug:
Steve

That’s a good way to do it. Lots of bargains on some very good sounding equipment out there. You just have to do your research to winnow out the good from the not so good and slowly build up your system. Welcome aboard!:beerchug:
Steve

Googling model numbers in the middle of Goodwill is my main hobby for now. I'll get where I want to be soon enough. I'm fairly averse to paying full price, even full used price, for anything at all. Add to it that almost anything I buy can be resold for at least double if not triple the money, I'll likely make enough to just hop out and pay real money for whatever strikes my fancy.

Back to ideal setup: AR XA/XB or similar TOTL vintage TT, keep the Yamaha CD player, TOTL vintage receiver, make isn't important, I just like silver faces, and speakers will have to be auditioned as I go. Speakers are the only component here that are entirely foreign to me. It's always been a "loud and clear" kind of thing, now I'm more into tone, build, and aesthetics.

Take a look at the Speakers forum here on AK. You can learn a lot there. There is a big divide between those who prefer vintage and those who prefer modern. I’m more of a vintage guy, but not because I think they sound better, but because I know more about them. I’ve never owned a set of speakers made after the mid 80’s. Modern speakers, I think, tend to get more sound from less enclosure size. But one thing is certain IMO. You get what you pay for. Really good speakers cost. But decent ones can be had for reasonable cost.

Plano in the house! Where do you guys go for service and good vintage stores in DFW? What do you think of Dallas Vintage Audio in Hurst?

Hmmm. I’m in North Richland Hills, close to Hurst, and didn’t know that place was there. I haven’t had any service done locally. I do most of my own work, and if I think it’s over my head, I send it to one of the respected techs here on AK. I only deal with Marantz - sentimental attachment - and there is a lot of similarity between units, so once you have done a few of them, it’s all pretty familiar.

Hmmm. I’m in North Richland Hills, close to Hurst, and didn’t know that place was there. I haven’t had any service done locally. I do most of my own work, and if I think it’s over my head, I send it to one of the respected techs here on AK. I only deal with Marantz - sentimental attachment - and there is a lot of similarity between units, so once you have done a few of them, it’s all pretty familiar.
Hello, I have not been there also but you can see most of their inventory on their website, Im a Pioneer guy, I need to take a look at his store.

The only non-Marantz unit I have is a Pioneer SX-780 receiver. Mid power and sounds very good. The only reason Idont branch out is that the learning curve is too steep for another new brand, so I stay in my comfort zone. Pioneer definitely made some good looking and good sounding units.

The only non-Marantz unit I have is a Pioneer SX-780 receiver. Mid power and sounds very good. The only reason Idont branch out is that the learning curve is too steep for another new brand, so I stay in my comfort zone. Pioneer definitely made some good looking and good sounding units.
I have a Pioneer SX-780, they sound amazing. I'm also a big Marantz fan! Only the rich kids had Marantz when I was growing up! What do you think of the SX-780 v. your Marantz 2200 receivers? How does the sound compair? (maybe I will cross over!)

You know, I’m 68 and grew up with the receiver wars of the 70’s. Young guys tended to find a sound they liked - and could afford - and then plant a stake in the ground and never try anything else. My best friend was a Sansui guy. I wanted a Marantz, but couldn’t afford it until I went into the Navy and could get a steep discount. I bought a new 2230 in 1972. It was stolen from my apartment six months later, so I saved up and bought a 2245. I loved that receiver and kept it for many years. I got back into the hobby a few years ago and just stuck with Marantz. I got a good deal on the 780, and it sounds very good. But it hasn’t been recapped, so maybe a little dull compared to my refurbished Marantz’s. My dad was an electrical engineer and ham radio guy who built all of his own stuff. I never was interested when I was young, but when I bought a used 2270, I wanted to learn to refurbish it. So I joined AK, and got tons of help from the experts to learn how. First advice was to start with a smaller unit, like a 2220. I did, and enjoyed it so much, Iworked up the ladder and did a 2230, a 2245, that 2270, and then a 2275 and 2325. One of these days I’m going to try my hand at that SX-780. It’s a beautiful unit, and operates great - it just lacks a bit in the highs, which I know would be fixed with a recap. So, that’s how I got where a I am in all of this.

Last edited:
You know, I’m 68 and grew up with the receiver wars of the 70’s. Young guys tended to find a sound they liked - and could afford - and then plant a stake in the ground and never try anything else. My best friend was a Sansui guy. I wanted a Marantz, but couldn’t afford it until I went into the Navy and could get a steep discount. I bought a new 2230 in 1972. It was stolen from my apartment six months later, so I saved up and bought a 2245. I loved that receiver and kept it for many years. I got back into the hobby a few years ago and just stuck with Marantz. I got a good deal on the 780, and it sounds very good. But it hasn’t been recapped, so maybe a little dull compared to my refurbished Marantz’s. My dad was an electrical engineer and ham radio guy who built all of his own stuff. I never was interested when I was young, but when I bought a used 2270, I wanted to learn to refurbish it. So I joined AK, and got tons of help from the experts to learn how. First advice was to start with a smaller unit, like a 2220. I did, and enjoyed it so much, Iworked up the ladder and did a 2230, a2245, that 2270, and then a 2275 and 2325. One of these days I’m going to try my hand at that SX-780. It’s a beautiful unit, and operettas great - it just lacks a bit in the highs, which I know would be fixed with a recap. So, that’s how I got where a I am in all of this.
VERY interesting! I have just always loved the look of the 1975-1981 Pioneers (silver face) I need to recap my SX-780

I have peeked over in the Pioneer forum now and then to see what others have come across in a 780 rebuild. Just like the Marantz, it has some flaky transistors and nearly unobtanium parts. But there is quite a bit of info on it, so I think I could do it.

My SX-450 is available for a recap if either of you just want the practice. Wink wink.

Actually I'd like to take a stab at it myself, once I have a decent replacement.

Keller Here.

Stereo:
Currently Running:
Tekton Design Pendragon
Peachtree Audio Nova 300 (new)

Headphones:
Peachtree DACit
Decware CSP 2
Decware Taboo
Fostex THX00
Sennheiser HD800

Bedroom setup:
Kantu Yu5 with 10” polk sub.

TV: Denon AVR E400
Klipsch 10” wireless sub
Polk RMS 2 center l/r

Retired gear
Old American Acoustics D4550E never used anymore.
Polk Audio RMS2 satelites
Onkyo TX-SR702
Sanyo PLV z5 projector

That is most of my gear.

Back
Top Bottom