North Texas

Welcome to AK @GuardianRed! I’m not far from you. Lots of great info available here. My only interest is vintage Marantz and Dual, so I have little knowledge of more modern gear. But I do know it can sound awesome. :thumbsup:

Hello. In Southlake and fairly new - or getting back in to - Hifi. Is there ever a get together for coffee or lunch. I would enjoy meeting folks who know what they are doing with this equipment. Been to Dallas Vintage and like the shop.

Welcome, Jay! I returned to interest in vintage hifi about 3 or 4 years ago after an absence of 30 years. I had a Marantz 2230 and 2245 in the early 70’.s. The 2230 was stolen, and I sold the 2245 in the 90’s when everything was going home theater. Got back into it because I just wanted to relive my glory days. Lol. My dad was a ham operator and EE who built all of his own equipment, so I grew up around this stuff. But I never got very involved in building or repair until I got a used 2270 that I wanted to restore. With the help of experts on the Marantz forum, I have rebuilt many Marantz receivers, including my 2325. I’m still no expert, but I’m getting the hang of it and have learned a ton from reading many troubleshooting threads.
Some kind of get together would be interesting to get to know local people with a common interest. I guess we will see if anyone chimes in with interest in that.
Steve

At one time I also had a 2230, it disappeared years ago in a move. I envy you your talent, I don’t have the skill to remove the case without damaging it. If someone responds that’s great. I’m near NRH and retired so quite flexible.
Jay

I’m on a slow walk to retirement. My business partner and I sold our dental practice almost two years ago so he could retire. I work 2-1/2 days a week for the younger dentist that bought the practice. So far, I haven’t had much time for audio work. Both of my kids bought fixer upper houses, and I have been working helping them get problems fixed. But I like the work, and when we are done, they will have great houses at bargain prices.

Congratulations Steven. I have a veterinarian friend who did the same thing with his practice two years ago and loves the arrangement. The best fixer upper I have ever seen is probably not too far from you. Overlooks the east side of diamond oaks golf course. A Frank loyd Wright protege design and build in early 60’s, spectacular. The redo is perfect.

I live in Diamond Loch, about a block from the golf course. There are some interesting houses around here. Our cul de sac is somewhat famous locally, because we have a three house computerized Christmas light show. Thousands of cars come by here during the holidays to see the lights.

On the bluff above the creek. I’m a huge FLW fan and wanted to buy it. My son said absolutely no. Met the guy who bought it and toured it quite often during the redo. Without a doubt the right guy bought the house. The house to him is like Marantz to you.

I was checking to see if anyone was talking about Lone Star Audiofest and I saw this thread on north Texas and there are quite a few people close by.

I have two systems currently with about half OEM gear and about half DIY gear. And I am always interested to see what people are using and what it sounds like.

I was checking to see if anyone was talking about Lone Star Audiofest and I saw this thread on north Texas and there are quite a few people close by.

I have two systems currently with about half OEM gear and about half DIY gear. And I am always interested to see what people are using and what it sounds like.
I have never heard of Lone Star Audiofest. I'm not much interested in modern equipment. Does this show feature vintage equipment as well? As you can see from my sig, I am pretty much married to seventies era Marantz. I owned some of them in the 70's, when I was a young guy, and I always loved the look and sound. This hobby just gives me a little bit of a chance to relive my "glory days" :biggrin:
Steve

there's a whole buncha remodeling from top to bottom going here these days...i'm a lifer, so i've seen the whole thing. on my third house. property values off the hook.

there's a whole buncha remodeling from top to bottom going here these days...i'm a lifer, so i've seen the whole thing. on my third house. property values off the hook.
My wife grew up in old Oak Cliff - off of Marsalis. We started dating when we were 15, so we have seen the area in its best days and its worst. Very glad to see the redevelopment of the area.

I’m dumb, what is lone star audiofest? There is a big BYOstuff meet in Mineola in a few weeks. I also love OC, always have. Not a prettier area in north tx. However, Bishop parking is now impossible. There’s an OC estate sale coming up in a few weeks with four racks of pioneer.

Back
Top Bottom