Northern Walleye Pike Fish Sandwhiches again at Culver's

Mine was excellent ... don't forget a side of Wisconsin cheese curds!

beb-int-curds.jpg

I had to fend for dinner myself the other day before our fly fishing club meeting, so I decided to treat myself to the walleye sandwich at Culver's. My usual fast food fish sandwich is at Arby's when they're 2 for $5.
Oddly, the sandwich wasn't listed on the menu board, just the cod sandwich and the dinners. I got it without the tartar sauce so I could taste the fish itself.
I thought it was pretty good, crispy light batter, cooked just enough, largish piece extending over the bun. The only flaw was that they didn't let the oil drain before putting it in the bun and it sogged the bottom bun even though the lettuce was between them. Maybe the tartar sauce normally prevents this.
Otherwise I thought it was a good fish sandwich for $5.49.

While on the topic of tasty fish, 2 summers ago, I first had the pleasure of eating Lake Whitefish from Superior, at a restaurant in St. Ignace Mi called The Driftwood. I think it was even better than walleye - probably best fish I've ever had!
Did you get the planked whitefish? It's kind of a Straits area specialty, broiled on a maple plank with duchess mashed potatoes piped all the way around. The Village Inn of St Ignace and Mackinaw Island serve an excellent one but they're a bit pricier.
Actually any restaurant that's been around for awhile in the UP will have decent whitefish on the menu because it's always fresh. The Fishwife doesn't really like fish, but she does like whitefish.

we have walleye on a stick at the state fair here, i guess we have everything on a stick at the fair here
He have a (long) weekend festival here that runs during August called Heritage Days. Basically it's a whole pile of different countries/cultures from around the world that display their food, arts, etc. A lot of them sell some sort of food on a stick. I call it the 'Meat On A Stick Festival'. And I'm not alone.

Did you get the planked whitefish? It's kind of a Straits area specialty, broiled on a maple plank with duchess mashed potatoes piped all the way around. The Village Inn of St Ignace and Mackinaw Island serve an excellent one but they're a bit pricier.
Actually any restaurant that's been around for awhile in the UP will have decent whitefish on the menu because it's always fresh. The Fishwife doesn't really like fish, but she does like whitefish.

No, I didn't get that but it sounds great- I'll have to try it. I've only been to the area once, in July 2017. I'd like to get back this year.

On the same trip, we spent a night in the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, and my wife ordered a whitefish main course for dinner at the hotel. I had a taste of her meal - wow, it was delicious. that small taste is what made me decide to get whitefish for dinner the next night at the Driftwood in St. Ignace.

Whitefish - amazingly good. Gotta get up there again this summer.

Didn't know that Culver's served local caught fish. I'm going to have to check the Culver's in Fenton, see if they have walleye. Walleye is awesome.

While on the topic of tasty fish, 2 summers ago, I first had the pleasure of eating Lake Whitefish from Superior, at a restaurant in St. Ignace Mi called The Driftwood. I think it was even better than walleye - probably best fish I've ever had!
I was at a place in Grand Marais a couple years ago and had fried whitefish. Holy crap was it outstanding. I can say it was the best fish dinner I've had, ever. Nothing else has come close, and it was just a small joint in Grand Marais.

Hit up Culver's for the walleye dinner tonight and it was good. Brought back memories of Friday Fish Frys back home. Then it occurred to me that there has to be some good fish frys around here as boating and fishing in MI is huge too. Heck, we even sell walleye at work occasionally.

My plate. Fish and slaw were good, mashed potatoes forgettable; I'll get fries next time

20190327_172437.jpg

Hit up Culver's for the walleye dinner tonight and it was good. Brought back memories of Friday Fish Frys back home. Then it occurred to me that there has to be some good fish frys around here as boating and fishing in MI is huge too. Heck, we even sell walleye at work occasionally.

My plate. Fish and slaw were good, mashed potatoes forgettable; I'll get fries next time

View attachment 1461877
Many of the Catholic churches have fish fry's going on right now. St Annes over on Mound has a good one. Sadly, a lot of them don't do perch and walleye anymore, probably due to cost. They tend to use tilapia and ocean perch now. Walleye and perch is usually cheap where we live, but in states where they aren't native, they can get almost as pricey as lobster is here. Last year me and my wife took a trip to Colorado, and one of the restaurants we hit had perch on the menu. The meal was something like $35 lol, almost the most expensive meal on the menu. Around here that's a $10 meal.

I went to St. Anne's a year or two ago and was pretty disappointed, but Milwaukee Fish Frys set a high bar.

From my experiences here with a couple of churches, I'm unimpressed. It seems like it's just a Lenten thing and they just hit up a Gordon's for whatever is cheap.

Serb Hall they ain't. At least so far....

I was at a place in Grand Marais a couple years ago and had fried whitefish. Holy crap was it outstanding. I can say it was the best fish dinner I've had, ever. Nothing else has come close, and it was just a small joint in Grand Marais.
Probably the Sportsmans Bar and Restaurant, an old storefront restaurant on the main drag, such as it is. Last time we were there it was being torn down and rebuilt on the same spot. I believe it's now called the Grand Marais Tavern.

Probably the Sportsmans Bar and Restaurant, an old storefront restaurant on the main drag, such as it is. Last time we were there it was being torn down and rebuilt on the same spot. I believe it's now called the Grand Marais Tavern.
It was West Bay Diner, great little mom and pop place. I got a laugh about a year later when me and my wife went to a restaurant on Grosse Ile, they had a special on whitefish dinners. I told the waitress I wanted it deep fried, and she made a comment "are you sure? Breading doesn't stick good and it doesn't come out right a lot of the time." I showed her my picture of my meal from West Bay Diner, and she thought it was some kind of witchcraft lol. Well, the cook at the place on Grosse Ile botched it, so I'll chock up my fantastic whitefish meal to gold ol' fashioned Yooper witchcraft.

pd4bHxg.jpg

Last edited:
I went to St. Anne's a year or two ago and was pretty disappointed, but Milwaukee Fish Frys set a high bar.

From my experiences here with a couple of churches, I'm unimpressed. It seems like it's just a Lenten thing and they just hit up a Gordon's for whatever is cheap.

Serb Hall they ain't. At least so far....
True, fish frys are tradition for the cheese heads. It's mostly just a Lenten thing here. One church I do know with good food right now is St Isaac Jogues over off of 10 between Little Mack and Harper. My office is right there so I usually grab lunch or dinner a few times during Lent.

It was West Bay Diner, great little mom and pop place.
Ah, that would have been my other guess. Odd little joint. .Has an actual diner car at the front of the building with a lunch counter. The cook makes each meal separately. If a table of diners each order a different dish, they come out separately as he finishes each one.

Back
Top Bottom