Norton Security subscription is up. Should I reup or are there better options

When Sophos for home computers became available I switched immediately. Business class endpoint protection for the home, costing about the same as AVG, Avast, Norton, or Kapersky. I cannot remember when I did not have it deployed on all network Servers\PC's\Mac's.

https://home.sophos.com/

Wife's desktop was slowing down, glitchy, lots of complaints, whew. Couldn't sleep last night so I got up at 4:30, cleaned out all the stored garbage. Clicked on the HP service icon and went through about 800 mb of various updates {big bios update), then through similar MS updates for Win 10. Computer was bought last Christmas and went through a couple hours of updates back then too. Seems to be kicking butt right now, for how long? No aftermarket security on that computer.

symantec is the only NIST/GAO/HSA industrial strength approved solution. generally however, the problems arise from peoples insistence to do dumb things with their web offerings.

This a rabbit hole question! You can search online for the best security suites all day long and not find a consensus of opinion. I have tried lots of the free suites,and was not impressed.Once they are on your computer they are a pain to get rid of.AVG and McAfee especially. Over the last few years I have used Bitdefender (terrible customer svs.) but it seemed to work well. McAfee was ok,but couldn't tell what it was really doing,and it is a pain to get it GONE! Avira was nice for awhile,but way too many notifications.I recently started Kaspersky and am still getting used to it. So far I am liking it,but it doesn't play well with some of my other security. It has a VPN included,but that starts a whole new set of problems logging into Email ,etc.
It is a shame,that in this digital world we live in, that Apple and Microsoft can't seem to build a machine that doesn't need extra security! It's always about the MONEY,( that I don't have)! Ya just gotta pick your poison I guess.

In these net days it depends on what actions\dollars you are willing to take\spend to insure that your on-line\local information is secure. For me it's external encrypted external drives that contain ALL of my data. I have nothing on my Mac that did not come with it when I bought it. While on-line the external drives are dismounted and Sophos is in action.. After I finish for the day I mount the external drives and have them perform an incremental backup while disconnected from the outside world. Takes me a whole 5 minutes these days.

Saying all of this, if you are targeted by the Bad Guy's (Crackers) there is nothing you can do to keep them out, period!! They will find a way. It is their job, and they are damn good at it. :smoke:

computer security is kind of like a surge protector,ya just don't know if it's gonna work when lighting strikes.

You can avoid a lot of problems using a PC logged on with an account that DOES NOT have administrator rights. :)

Last edited:
I used many antivirus programs in my time and I've gotta say Norton has never let me down nor have I ever had problems with it.
I reckon it's just what size and type PC you have and how much garbage ya have on it. I keep mine minimal with only what I need and I clean and defrag once a month. Although to save money I do use Windows Defender on my Win 8.1 machine that it came with and have never had a problem with it either.
Although I'm Always careful what I open and where I go and never download ANYTHING foolish or that I really don't need specially from an unknown site.
It always pays to be cautious.

If you are running windows you already have a very good good antiviral utility Windows Defender Antiviral. The advantage you have with Defender is it is built right into the Windows operating system.

I paid for Trend Micro for many years. It evolved into bloatware that had a host of stuff that I never used. Then I found out their encryption protocols were totally bogus and I dumped them in favor of Windows Defender. Steve Gibson of Security Now! said that Windows Defender is all you need.

How many are running McAffee because they weren't reading the small print when installing a Flash Player update?

No problems here running Avast free and occasional scans with MalwareBytes and their ADW Cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom