NOS / NIB

1ontop=

Have you ever bought an item you didn't need, the only rationale being OMG! It's old and new in the box?!! Around 2 a.m. today I purchased a pair of Realistic Nova 16 speakers w/walnut cabinets NIB for sixty six bucks including shipping. It was on the auction site with a best offer available. I need another pair of speakers like I need a hole in my head.:no:

Yeah, I`m addicted to 1950s Universal Coffeematic percolators....got a few of `em (the "Tri-Fives", from 1955, `56, and `57....similar to the classic Chevys). They are functional works of art....cool to look at, chrome over solid-copper construction, and make delicious coffee !
index.php

Have you ever bought an item you didn't need, the only rationale being OMG! It's old and new in the box?!!

I have, but not really much in the realm of audio gear--stuff like firearms, auto parts, tools--more mechanical-type stuff that is not as subject to degradation just due to age. I guess my cases of sealed NOS tapes would have to count, though.

I have acquaintances that have gotten "burned" pretty badly buying NOS/NIB electronics and speakers--paying premium prices because they were still "brand new"--and although they were cosmetically "perfect", ended up having to pay for full restorations of the inner workings. It can be a crapshoot.

Confession time.:bowdown:

Picked up a waffle maker that I intended to buy for a bit, after seeing my friend's in operation, which really impressed me!

We already got two other kinds, but each suffer from this or that...usually the messy spill over/hard to clean and with varied results. But this one gets the job done with out skipping a beat...and no, not affiliated with the maker of this maker.

And it IS unique! It's the Vertical Cusinart Waffle Maker, with no less than five heat selections. You just pour into spout until you can see the batter inside...hit the button, wait for the signal...with your choice of five rock bands (kidding here). :biggrin: Open the side, and voila,...one great looking, tasty waffle, done to perfection. Least it was at my bud's place. At Wally's $51 and change if in the US of A.

Now to get you know who on board.

Q

Yeah, I`m addicted to 1950s Universal Coffeematic percolators....got a few of `em (the "Tri-Fives", from 1955, `56, and `57....similar to the classic Chevys). They are functional works of art....cool to look at, chrome over solid-copper construction, and make delicious coffee !
index.php
A VINTAGE PERCOLATOR COLLECTOR?! you are my hero...

I've got all kinds of vintage appliances, an original restored Sunbeam Automatic Toaster from 1952 a model T-20A (the one that lowers and raises the bread by itself) that works flawlessly after I replaced the thermostat switch inside the unit, and then I have an old Toastmaster Waffle Iron/Griddler unit from about 1955 that is fully functional its a Model 269 (and the funny part is that my grandmother had the same exact waffle iron), and I have a late 1940s Dominion Waffle Iron Model 1315A that also works perfectly yet, and then I have an old Presto Coffee Percolator from about 1955 a Model KK01-A that also works and makes pretty good coffee, and I have an old Farberware Electric Skillet from about the early to mid 1960s a Model 310-B, which also works perfectly yet. I also have an 1950s Vintage GE Toaster Model 82T82 that also works like a charm (after readjusting the thermostat inside the toaster because it had drifted off over the years to the point that it was burning toast)

The Coffee Percolator and the Electric Skillet are both Stainless Steel, and the Toasters and the Waffle Irons are chrome.
I do use these items actually by the way.
Also All of these appliances were found at either a flea market, estate sale, or second hand store.

Pictures posted below of the appliances in question, although none of these were NOS/NIB they were in like new condition when I found them and they were sort of "impulse buys" although they do get regular use.20170506_212648[1].jpg

Well I am addicted to valve/tube radios and if I see NOS components then I must have them just to save them from the junkman lol. I have 1942 army field phones that have never been used and 1920s radio components. It really is just that feeling of wow they don't make them anymore !

Well I am addicted to valve/tube radios and if I see NOS components then I must have them just to save them from the junkman lol. I have 1942 army field phones that have never been used and 1920s radio components. It really is just that feeling of wow they don't make them anymore !
Same here, I have well over 150 vacuum tubes, most of them either NOS or gently used tubes that still test Excellent on the old Tube Tester. I have an Old Tube Caddy chucked full of NOS RCA tubes from the 1920s and lots of NOS tubes from the 1950s and 1960s that the tube caddy full of tubes was just given to me by a friend of mine who picked it up at an auction, and then I have a small plactic tote full of 1930s-1950s vintage 4-pin, 5 pin, 6 pin and Octal tubes, and another small tote full of 1940s to 1960s vintage miniature and compactron tubes. I have about 6 tube radios of which 3 of them are in restored working condition and 3 of them are waiting to be restored currently.

Same here, I have well over 150 vacuum tubes, most of them either NOS or gently used tubes that still test Excellent on the old Tube Tester. I have an Old Tube Caddy chucked full of NOS RCA tubes from the 1920s and lots of NOS tubes from the 1950s and 1960s that the tube caddy full of tubes was just given to me by a friend of mine who picked it up at an auction, and then I have a small plactic tote full of 1930s-1950s vintage 4-pin, 5 pin, 6 pin and Octal tubes, and another small tote full of 1940s to 1960s vintage miniature and compactron tubes. I have about 6 tube radios of which 3 of them are in restored working condition and 3 of them are waiting to be restored currently.
If ever I see a box of tubes and no one is bidding then I say what the heck and get them as you never know if you need them or not. Yesterday I got a box of 40 for 10 dollars.

You should see my vintage appliance collection... mine is fully functional and is used on a regular basis. :thumbsup::cool::rockon:
I like your collection....very cool stuff ! I rotate all my vintage percolators in and out of service every couple of months. I also have a vintage toaster, a Sunbeam T-9, which was introduced at the 1939 World`s Fair. After a little cleaning and adjusting, it works like a charm !

upload_2017-5-6_23-49-52.png

I like your collection....very cool stuff ! I rotate all my vintage percolators in and out of service every couple of months. I also have a vintage toaster, a Sunbeam T-9, which was introduced at the 1939 World`s Fair. After a little cleaning and adjusting, it works like a charm !

View attachment 925001
My sunbeam T-20A is the decendant of your T-9 toaster the T-9 toaster was the very first automatic tosater Sunbeam made and then the T-20 series came out in the late 1940s.

View attachment 925001
You guys are killing me, I was just about to mention toasters too, they just don't make 'em like that anymore...beautiful

I actually once found a truely NOS Belgian Waffle Maker from the 1970s that was still in its original box never opened at the Goodwill I work at, it was originally bought at L. S. Ayers for $40 (it still had its original price tag on it yet).

Back
Top Bottom