Not All Pressing Plants Are The Same

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by petemcfc, Dec 13, 2018.

1. petemcfc

petemcfc Well-Known Member

Ever wondered why your latest new purchase has finger prints and scratches?

Seems to be a plant based in the US,not sure which one it is but their quality control is lacking.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Not all record labels strive for the same level of quality either. Pressing plants have several levels of quality available to their clientele. The Classical customer tends to pay for and get the best, there's the medium quality customer, then the cheapest customer. The more expensive the record pressing, the purer the vinyl, the less regrind is used in the compound. Also, for most of the world, record pressing is not a clean room process. In Japan, they did so. But they made far smaller pressing runs, their records cost much more to begin with, and their record buyers very demanding.

3. savatage1973

savatage1973 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah--and a lot of folks fail to realize that. In many cases, it is just another commercial "plastics plant". And then we get to the part of handling/packing/shipping--trust me--no "white gloves" there either. It does not shock me at all to receive brand new/sealed albums that are dirty or covered in fingerprints. I clean everything first before playing anyways, but "new" does not necessarily mean "clean".

4. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Yes not all records are made the same, in most case you get what you pay for. Sometimes though if it's a very good pressing plat that was contracted to put out some cheap records they can be very good.

But if you have one title being put out from three different companies at the same time.
    And their prices are as followed

$19.99
    $29.99
    $49.99

I'd be looking at the 50 dollar copy and see who is making it. But not everyone can or wants to afford a 50 dollar record, so cheap ones need to be made. Some people only want to buy cheap records but demand the quality put into the high dollar copies. However you have a choice....

5. 4-2-7

The one narrating that vid was about the most ill informed person I heard talking about how records are made. Even the vid and people pressing in the vid, filmed that to be a spoof or to lie on how records are made. Just for starters you did not see a label on a record. Those guys where goofing the ignorant.

JJCalvillo likes this.
  6. 4-2-7

Do you actually believe that was real?

7. 808_state

808_state Well-Known Member

It is in fact Wayne Coyne of The Flaming Lips "explaining" how his band's records are pressed. As surreal or frightening as it may seem, it is real.

8. Audiobro

Audiobro AK Subscriber Subscriber

Horrifying!

9. petemcfc

petemcfc Well-Known Member

You could be correct there.....................I must have seen The Flaming Lips over six times,it could just be an acid fried spoof worthy of them.
    Hopefully.

808_state likes this.
  10. 4-2-7

They are goofing off so in that respect it's real, they are not making any real records to sell or other wise though. As I said there is no labels, they are just squishing vinyl. A record has to have a label or it will crack and fall apart.

808_state likes this.
  11. 808_state

Just Wayne being Wayne...and the tabs were licked at A&R Records that was bought out by Josey Records in 2015.

WayneCoyneWeb.jpg

Hutch77 likes this.

12. ETLS

ETLS metacarpophalangealcranium Subscriber

Their ears are flaming too since we're cussing and discussing them.

13. JP

JP 7480 74111110101115

Not true. https://thefutureheart.com/playing-hide-and-seek-stream/

14. heavyrock

heavyrock AK Subscriber Subscriber

I once saw some insane youtube video of a plant in Jamaica that cranks out 45's, the guy was hand forming the pucks of hot vinyl to put on the pressing machine. Just like everthing in this world there is a vast spectrum of quality for everything.

Found this but I could have sworn it was far dingier setup:

15. dahoo

dahoo Active Member

made in china. modern and cleaner factory.

808_state likes this.
  16. 808_state

Two of my favorite chinese words 黑胶 (vinyl) and 复活 (reborn):D

17. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

How does a label keep a record from falling apart?

WaynerN likes this.
  18. JJCalvillo

JJCalvillo Active Member

Narrator did not seem very informed on the process. Whole video had no real context.

19. 4-2-7

Hi Ken I'v seen a lot of info on record making and thought I could find a vid that stated the function of a label. We know it has info on it, but it must be pressed into the record as well. The label area of a record is very important to the stability of it. Without it it can crack, deform and split in two. You know there has been a bunch of different pressing of the label area, dynagroove, deep groove on records. This is all done to make a stable record and stop cracing and deformations.

http://www.gzmedia.com/en-GB/Files/Dokumenty-AJ/VINYL/Technical-conditions-VinyL2-NL.aspx

4 Labels
    Records are usually labelled on both sides. Labels on vinyl records are made of paper material and are directly associated with the pressing of the vinyl. Labels are made from offset paper (140gsm paper for 10" and 12" and from 120gsm paper for 7”s), the customer can also choose to produce the records without labels or with labels only on one side.

Note:
    Please consult with the customer service department in the case that labels will not be produced. Records without labels may have larger centre holes and the centre area may be deformed. The side of the record with the label (especially picture discs) can be bent out of the „flatness“ parameter. These defects cannot be subject to claim.

https://www.gottagrooverecords.com/glossary-of-common-vinyl-terms/
    Labels:
    The paper circle in the middle of a pressed record. Sometimes referred to as a “sticker”, a record label is actually not adhered to the face of the disc after pressing – it is an integral part of the pressing process, and serves to cool the middle of the record while it is being pressed.

Pio1980, petemcfc and Ken Boyd like this.
  20. WaynerN

WaynerN AK Subscriber Subscriber

Many records are pressed with the label on the "hockey puck", so its heat pressed onto the vinyl, when the record is pressed. I see the video that the OP supplied showed no label, so apparently, that company puts them on afterwords. What a shit shack that place looks like.

I've seen videos of quality pressing plants where the presses are PLC (programmable logic controller(s)) moddified and are now part of the fixturing. The PLCs allow for temperature regulation and all other electro-mechanical processes of the press to be controlled, that used to be a guess or by-golly by the human operator. When humans are involved in the process, the process usually gets screwed up, so automation for record making rules.