Not Done Yet: Quadraflex 979 And Fisher RS 2007

Bodyblue

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Last summer I decided I was probably done buying receivers. I had been selling them off and buying integrated amps and tuners; I had not found any interesting receivers in a while and was looking for something new. So I bought integrateds from Kenwood, Marantz, Fisher, Sony and Pioneer and have really enjoyed them. They are all in good condition and sound great.

But just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in! This December I had started seeing some interesting receivers again and despite telling myself I was done with them, I found myself buying two more.

The first one was a Fisher RS2007, 75 wpc from 1978. I had been interested in these bigger and later Studio Standard models for a while. This one had the usual burned out lamps that I replaced with LEDs. The power meters are sticky but I have not had a chance to fix them yet. The tuner is sensitive and aligned properly and all the knobs and switches feel heavy and well built.

The first speakers I hooked up to it are my A25s and the Fisher makes them beg for mercy! Two things that I noticed right away are that this much power through the Dynacos really make them sparkle and that they are capable of getting really loud without distorting. It has more than enough power for most any situation and it sounds as good as any of my integrateds. My Marantz is 1060 is being powered by a 250 amp so that is not quite a fair comparison.

With the LEDs the face is handsome with its greenish blue lights and the case seems to be of solid construction. Over all it is competitive with any name brand receiver of similar price and wattage. I have found Darlington packs to be long lived if they have not been abused and this unit seems to be in excellent condition. I really like it.

The Quadraflex was so cheap that it seemed worth a look . I got it for $65 I almost perfect shape. It had a few non stock knobs but I had some Kenwood ones that look fine on the tone controls. This is the 979 which appears to be the high end model for Pacific Audio. It has a lot of features and decent power at 60 wpc. It has two position loudness switch, overload light, treble, mid, and bass tone controls. It also has power meters, a aux and "extra" input along with two tape inputs.

The chassis slides out of the wooden case easily to work on it. It seems to be adequately built if not super robust. But just like the Fisher, it sounds great and is in superior condition.

I was not super curious about Quadraflex but for $65 it was a no brainer to try it out. It seems to be a decently built house brand that would have been easy to sell with so many features. It actually reminds me a lot of the Realistic stuff of the same era.

What I realized the past few weeks is that I will never not have interest in vintage receivers, especially ones I have not owned before. A lot of them are so handsome and well built and can still had be had for reasonable prices. I also will never be an audio enthusiast that will only have one type of unit, they are all, interesting to me.

20181201_103547.jpg 20181201_103535.jpg 20181214_135851.jpg 20181215_201155.jpg 20181215_193036.jpg 20181215_192035.jpg 20181215_192044.jpg 20181215_192014.jpg 20181215_190036.jpg

I am going to bring out my CS 88s tomorrow and see how they do with the Fisher.

Last edited:
I brought in my CS88s for the Fisher and hooked up the Dynacos to the Quadraflex. I had Spotify opened on both of them and went back and forth to see what sounded best and found myself adjusting the CS88s to sound more like the Dyancos. The Fisher drove the 88s to incredible sound levels with bass that made my gun cabinet in the room vibrate like crazy......but no matter how I adjusted anything they did not sound as good on vocals as the Dynacos. The Dynacos have such smooth mids that the 88s just cant touch. The Pioneers came through with instrumentals that were really stunning on both receivers.

Both receivers sound awesome with either set of speakers.

20181218_110720.jpg

I brought in my CS88s for the Fisher and hooked up the Dynacos to the Quadraflex. I had Spotify opened on both of them and went back and forth to see what sounded best and found myself adjusting the CS88s to sound more like the Dyancos. The Fisher drove the 88s to incredible sound levels with bass that made my gun cabinet in the room vibrate like crazy......but no matter how I adjusted anything they did not sound as good on vocals as the Dynacos. The Dynacos have such smooth mids that the 88s just cant touch. The Pioneers came through with instrumentals that were really stunning on both receivers.

Both receivers sound awesome with either set of speakers.

View attachment 1360347
I realize this is several years ago since you last posted on this, but I see you are still active here. I'd like to know if you kept either or both? Also if you kept or sold the reason why. I currently have 13 receivers. But like you I seem to still buy one if it's interesting and priced good for today's market. I mean they have really went up in the last year. I did just buy a Fisher rs-1058. Wanted the rs-1060 but not one for sale right now. There is a Quadraflex 979 for sale right now so that.drew me to this post.

I realize this is several years ago since you last posted on this, but I see you are still active here. I'd like to know if you kept either or both? Also if you kept or sold the reason why. I currently have 13 receivers. But like you I seem to still buy one if it's interesting and priced good for today's market. I mean they have really went up in the last year. I did just buy a Fisher rs-1058. Wanted the rs-1060 but not one for sale right now. There is a Quadraflex 979 for sale right now so that.drew me to this post.

I am down to three receivers now. A Realistic STA 85, a Kenwood KR 8010 and a MCS 3246. I buy one once in a while but usually sell it within a few months. I have three systems with separates now.

I could never really get used to the CS88s so I sold them. The same with the Dynacos. I liked them at first but then I was underwhelmed by them.

I don't buy anything with stk power packs anymore. I had a Fisher amp blow one of the STKs and it took out a a KLH 6.

Back
Top Bottom