Not flashy--but very effective

If you are interested, turntable is 40 years old and in absolute mint condition. Platter bearing looks brand new. Bought it at Tech HiFi when I was 17. Just put a new Grado Blue on it and a new belt. CD player I think is close to first generation, bought in 1983 by my dad (an early adopter) for around $800. Got the Kenwood about 35 years ago, because it had 80 watts per channel, and my original Pioneer SX-636 had only 25 watts per channel. My original speakers, now long gone, were Micro Acoustic FRM-1's. With the Sony headphones, the sound is outstanding. I missed vinyl and got tired of listening to MP3s all the time. I forgot what uncompressed music sounded like.

Beautiful Marantz receiver. Those always were the ultimate growing up. Bet the Infintys sound great.

Nice looking setup and welcome! I remember Tech Hifi when I was living in NJ. We have a member here who used to work there.

Beautiful Marantz receiver. Those always were the ultimate growing up. Bet the Infintys sound great.
Huh? It's a Kenwood receiver and he's using Sony headphones. :biggrin:

Great setup, by the way. I have a KR-5030 (the next model down) which is a wonderful receiver. I love CD players that allow you to see the disc spin as well. Sweet!

I lived in Cliffside Park at the time. Saved up and spent $777 (still have receipt) on the Thorens, AT100E cart, Pioneer SX-636, and Micro Acoustic FRM-1's. My first real system. Tech Hifi had the A/B switch so you could compare two sets of speakers at a time until you found the ones you liked best. I was all set to buy a BIC turntable (so glad I didnt), but saw the Thorens, and had to have it. Best investment I ever made. I'm a poor man audiophile, so my stuff has to last.
Huh? It's a Kenwood receiver and he's using Sony headphones. :biggrin:

Great setup, by the way. I have a KR-5030 (the next model down) which is a wonderful receiver. I love CD players that allow you to see the disc spin as well. Sweet!

I was referring to Zappafan2's system on the Marantz comment.

The whole drawer with the laser unit slides out on the Magnavox. No remote. No oversampling. Weighs a ton (for a CD player). I think it sounds amazing and is built to last. I found out it is a second generation CD player (Magnavox FD3030). True first generation Philips/Magnavox CD players are Top Loaders. In Philips CD-100 and CD-101, In Magnavox FD-1000 and FD 1010 models. These have CDM-0 or CDM-1 die cast transport mechanisms and tank like construction. Made in Holland. The Belgium made front loaders are second generation models. I guess that is what I have. This is the link to an article on it in November 1984 Popular Science (Page 101). $799 in 1984 ($1,900 in 2016 dollars). I also have a Carver "The Receiver", but the hum was bothering me, and the Kenwood sounds noticeably better (harsh treble in the Carver) and totally silent.
https://books.google.com/books?id=K...RA1-PA101#v=onepage&q=magnavox FD3030&f=false

They are great speakers although I just moved them out of my main rig, I bought a new pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierras. The Infinitys will not be leaving just moving to another system.

Nice system. Those little Kenwood receivers were killers. Good tuners and could take abuse. I've fixed up 3 KR-4070s and given them away. And my go to cans are MDR-V6s. Time tested design.

Last edited:
Some of those Magnavox CD players sound great. Many of the early ones use the Philips 1541 and 1543 dac chips

Back
Top Bottom