Not many mid-century floor speaker users around here?

z-adamson

Addicted Member
It is commonly accepted around here that lots of cabinet volume is a good thing for woofers.

It is commonly said that the woofer in such-in-such speaker cabinet does not perform well because the cabinet volume is not adequate.

Yet......some how I almost never see anyone here running floor-type speakers here which ought to fix the problem of low cabinet volume. To reiterate, cabinet volume being too low is a common complaint, floor type speakers fix this, yet very few use them.

Why is this? It certainly isn't because they are hard to find. They ARE out there.

Pics of console / floor speakers I am talking about...

Attachments

• xp18.jpg
    xp18.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 352
  • jbl olympus.jpg
    jbl olympus.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
No doubt. I am in the midst of restoring some Fisher XP-10 to mate with my Fisher Diplomat console I just restored. While the console speakers are okay( I recapped them), each compartment is a slightly different size so there is no way they can sound as good as stand alone speakers.
Are those XP-18 above?

It is commonly accepted around here that lots of cabinet volume is a good thing for woofers.
No,
The right cabinet volume to driver ratio is what's needed.

Pics of console speakers I am talking about...
The photos you posted are not speakers that are from a console, nor where they designed around a console. They are speakers designed by Wharfedale w70 and JBL c50 olympus

xp18.jpg jbl olympus.jpg

Last edited:
No,
The right cabinet volume to driver ratio is what's needed.

The photos you posted are not speakers that are from a console, non where they designed around a console.
Not trying to debate word definitions here. I have seen the speakers in the pics described as "console" a number of times, so I used that word too.

If you call them something else, thats fine.

I included pics to make sure we are on the same page and eliminate the need to argue semantics.

I included pics to make sure we are on the same page and eliminate the need to argue semantics.

Lots of people let alone members use the Wharfedale w70 and JBL c50 olympus you post photos of. In fact the photo of the W70s you took off the internet is from a member here. Less people have the JBL c50 olympus because of rarity and cost. They still are not console speakers, they are home floor speaker and no different than any other floor speaker one would buy back in the day.

Last edited:
Lots of people let alone members use the Wharfedale w90 and JBL c50 olympus you post photos of. In fact the photo of the W90s you took off the internet is from a member here. Less people have the JBL c50 olympus because of rarity and cost. They still are not console speakers, they are home floor speaker and no different than any other floor speaker one would buy back in the day.
They are fisher xp18, not warfdale w90.

OK, not console, but they are "home floor" speakers.

In any event, why are speaker cabinets like them so much less common that their smaller bookshelf type counterparts?

In any event, why are speaker cabinets like them so much less common that their smaller bookshelf type counterparts?

Rarity, cost and space, and one would need to like the sound of them as well as the looks. I wouldn't want the JBL c50 olympus in my house due to size and looks.

Not trying to debate word definitions here. I have seen the speakers in the pics described as "console" a number of times, so I used that word too.

I don’t think it a semantic argument, because there are speaker cabinets designed to match stereo cabinets. (Console Stereo systems)
We all understand your meaning, but this thread might be read in a year by someone who does not. We don’t want confusion... we clarify :).

Big speaker cabinets do exist, and plenty of us use them. When the cabinet is engineered around the speaker load, it is a good thing. My largest speakers are 15cu ft each, and there are much bigger ones in the world.:beerchug:

Speakers have been evolving smaller forever. Space is a commodity in most homes.

Speakers have been evolving smaller forever. Space is a commodity in most homes.
Many of the ever-popular smaller speakers are complained about. For example the Mach One cabinet is too small for the woofer. Same with L100 being boomy due to it's small cabinet. The list goes on.

The bigger cabinets (console, consolette, floor, whatever) don't get used much.

They seem like the answer to the small cabinet complaint.

Many of the ever-popular smaller speakers are complained about. For example the Mach One cabinet is too small for the woofer. Same with L100 being boomy due to it's small cabinet. The list goes on.

The bigger cabinets (console, consolette, floor, whatever) don't get used much.

They seem like the answer to the small cabinet complaint.

This is a snippet of speaker evolution. The consumer wanted smaller, the engineers complied, sometimes to the detriment of sound.

Bigger cabinets are abundant, if you poll AK, you’ll find plenty of us with big cabinets. However, you are correct if you are declaring big cabinets to be rare in the mass market.
... but then again, the mass market loves their Bose acousticmass-pass-some-gas corner cubes.

Lots of big speakers are still around. It's just the shapes or form factor, if you prefer, have changed over the years. The lowboy and end table designs have pretty much disappeared in favor of Darth Vader, modern art and vertical monkey coffins.

It is commonly said that the woofer in such-in-such speaker cabinet does not perform well because the cabinet volume is not adequate.

Yet......some how I almost never see anyone here running floor-type speakers here which ought to fix the problem of low cabinet volume. To reiterate, cabinet volume being too low is a common complaint, floor type speakers fix this, yet very few use them.

Why is this? It certainly isn't because they are hard to find. They ARE out there.

Pics of console / floor speakers I am talking about...
Sj7rFkqZZWzBAzuRp5KvkuHkcB3Zfsg5FTyriVUlbc7FCP3V_Uj_j6EKx040B5USpQB2XrIeyioYRq0FPgU6QRTnzT07Q6Vrdxk5giYBRJIAPWTcQGvKtx88uASRa41ZYjZX1vNwqj2IAdyyZSCAziqUD4oqAA-MQtLcM40qg4NcCBEntwkSlRmEmT9Ufy1H14MiWFz-PYcysQ-ga8Sp0TKkOkUVjS9ZLPA2CQAkAqSABaId2Epva_Jm7uCVsLDu3TYXGrbjh6350dyznAGIy7pNt8CJQsFyDlMLzxT2alk62kLcJoSSljDl2C4VFsyTzIUGDkvz4MwZIehmiKscRNgp5TegdbNfmP7WK6Ed-kMBhMhfEcFCFmwDVItlkshFzcyye42inJREQFqYZmXpEAPXgJ9j_80kQYrJaFkfUnBguOf2VNrsMw5zz506LQo20fJbT0_4P-JsVjwvHbAQqT1lPE0fnfUrN43oFnvRaiVFWQlwgp2QfufvEbG-KmDexqmBQaMZKxV-uqcCuDb6yInlZLAm3TJSFxqNsezDmYdohZX1-a0pM_TE2VZb-T5Vk5mwBAT_BtVrXnV_DAiGcf_E0CAbLiXDRKK3GGINa6IDHfRC5fcSYWLITGbun1cd7GwaaXnEHPhyYMlfqHJ7mdFmwA=w1590-h1192-no

There's no replacement for displacement. It's true in the audio world as well, to my experience. speakers are moved around vs the above photo, but it's a good photo, so it stays.
Mi9wvPGfOWPJ_N6J2j6vtfQuI2_scQmmNBfyFtVYinIuqojJiPQFjHdaGQZkYfXabEVGcBYnHNoHEb1OkkfeBZqPtnqL2cNVvYajHLDFjBBVgp4N-xKNWK4JnChjvwJFmX1SMfXxbaUNRE4FaDHglAWUKJZE8AYB7M8Pdr5yajqq97Cc6DmXuG1HTh-BrF6iQ4wa9F8LtKmuIQF2YSC-dYOEz4A_YSASC7AwKfZcLiAsrXP00GiOyHUqI61-BnIGsajgTpDPsCeTqrz91wpv9Bwb7NgpuoUCDC-qB-GRODZXW0CqvZRPrrxnArW5FGk7WD02On2AyxPBHEnA8Iq1OGA2bRNdah-Yrx9D2WklZ-ApUIjzFXjBfwRpHqlS6iYOVJp2YVLlgK9mgmd_oJDlYWIomQ8cDgL86S-6TRClXpEROqqaWUQLRPqRdzcPX0tmTSYyM2Zws-1MrV1IY7q3qytrpH86rOzmtZVxgO7Lg3aI-KmyxYO-OB53N7ybJYvkWGy_SNc22l_JXu3Py65QG1ufute6kmfTfMCfqVyZIFi0SF23Bi7RABf1ZlqJsT7oTrpd3or4_h_FyEEQX_P042_RyDJyXhkbKr8-UkggeithNiC69g6XusX7SKF6vrc7tLJrbBUaf-Hg8pgUxckfGM0TOw=w1590-h1192-no

Lots of big speakers are still around. It's just the shapes or form factor, if you prefer, have changed over the years. The lowboy and end table designs have pretty much disappeared in favor of Darth Vader, modern art and vertical monkey coffins.

Lol! Pardon me sir, I’d like to audition a pair of your vertical monkey coffins.

Back
Top Bottom