Not much love for Acoustic Energy...

Just bought a pair of the original '98 Aegis Ones(as the Stereophile link) off Ebay, after overdoing it with my Tannoys. They sounded a little bright at first, certainly compared to my Tannoys, but they have really settled down. Smooth and clear with good bass weight for their size.

I was intending them to be a stop gap till I picked up another pair of Tannoys, but maybe not. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Those were the ones I listened to, probably with the same stands:

105690.jpg

More 'industrial' looking than sleek, probably because Phil Jones, founder and designer of AE, was a studio engineer. But I wouldn't mind having a pair of those.

Phil Jones knows how to get monitors right!

Glad to that AE is getting a little love here. Those monitors are on my wanted list for sure. I want to compare them to the NHT PRO A-10 , and Celestion SL600si that i use.

Those were the ones I listened to, probably with the same stands:

105690.jpg

More 'industrial' looking than sleek, probably because Phil Jones, founder and designer of AE, was a studio engineer. But I wouldn't mind having a pair of those.

Another thread revival...

Ive been interested in hearing the AE1, which is one of their most well known monitors, so when a set of AE1 mk II popped up , i grabbed them. Impressed? Even better.. Im amazed at how good they sound. The AE1 is one of a few models that gets named as a competitor to the rogers ls3/5a and deservedly so. It produces a fairly BIG sound for such a small speaker. Similar to the Celestion sl600si, Rogers JR149, and Kef reference 101 and 102.

I recently had a chance to hear a set of rogers JR149 which have been undergoing a rehab by aker Audiodon, and thats another small monitor that performs well above its class. These are all models that i rarely come across for sale , even the acoustic energy aegis one is a bit hard to come across, but they show up on auction every now and then. Well worth the coin and time to find a set if you want a small monitor that sounds anything but small.

Another thread revival revival...

Were you ever able to run down a decent replacement driver for the woofer? Just got a pair of AE2's going for a co-worker but the voice coil is half fried on one of the drivers. It sounds good on extension but rubs going in, rigged with foam for time being... Even with tight bass on one side, the imaging was really nice. Pretty much gave up on stock replacement, who makes a suitable aftermarket?

Another thread revival revival...

Were you ever able to run down a decent replacement driver for the woofer? Just got a pair of AE2's going for a co-worker but the voice coil is half fried on one of the drivers. It sounds good on extension but rubs going in, rigged with foam for time being... Even with tight bass on one side, the imaging was really nice. Pretty much gave up on stock replacement, who makes a suitable aftermarket?

Only 4 months later to get a response.. :)
The easiest way to procure a direct replacement is by finding a donor set. Periodically I've come across some ( even bought a set for back up) so they're out there. I personally don't do drop in replacements unless it's something the engineer or manufacturer has used as a substitute.

I still think the Aegis models are super high value and should not be passed up. I've owned far more expensive speakers that weren't built as well nor sound as good.

Hi all,

I just found this old thread. About an hour ago (6/5/17) I scored a pair of AE (ACOUSTIC ENERGY) AEGIS ONE's in OUTSTANDING/PRISTINE condition (with stands) for two Sawbucks!
Sweeeeeet! The AE's sound very nice indeed (albeit a lil' warm using my Marantz 1060 Amp) but very smooth and relaxing. I wonder how they might sound with my Classis NAD 3140 Integrated Amp or for that matter a Tube Amp ?

Regards,
SixCats!
aka Tom in Maine

@SixCats!
They play well with tubes, I've used them with some fairly lightweight ( low output) tube gear and they perform well, and they step up their performance further with amps that typically wouldn't even be in the same listening room with them in a retail environment ( Aragon 8008BB, McIntosh MC7300, Krell KSA150 etc).

It's as though Acoustic Energy just wanted to get a "budget" speaker into their product mix and ended up building the Aegis One in the same manner that they've done for most of their more costly models. They work well for my listening taste and I routinely pull them down off the "Rack o' speakers" to give them play time with various gear.

Hi Bostown (greetings from SixCats! in Maine).

Bos, thanks for that information regarding Tubes. I'll have to set the AE's up with Tubes in the future. That being said, I just now removed my OLD (stock) Marantz 1060 Integrated Amp and hooked up a Classic NAD 3140 Integrated Amp in it's place. HOLY S**T! What a fricken difference! No doubt the old 1060 needs updating or perhaps it's just too warm sounding.
Using the NAD Amp, my God! The AE's just sound stunning! I can't imagine how the AE's would sound using more serious "High End" gear. Ummmmm, me thinks I should have my SAE gear repaired! Man, to think I paid only twenty dollars the pair for these Speakers!

Regards,
SixCats!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom