Not quite a three way lamp

markshan

Sir Thrift a Lot
My wife has a pair of lamps that were her mother's and she has a sentimental attachment to them. I want to rehab them but can't find the proper replacement lamp socket. This socket twists like a three way socket, but instead of controlling a three way bulb, it controls a standard bulb on the top and three flicker bulbs on the bottom. One turn for just the top, another turn for top and bottom, another turn for just bottom and a last turn to shut it off. Does anyone here know where I can find such a socket? TIA.

Thanks for the input. Your search led me to lots of links about switches, but just free standing switches, not ones built into the socket.

However, you got me to thinking about the search terms I was using. I tried "two circuit rotary socket" and came up with this, which appears to be exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much for helping me brainstorm.

Some of your regular 3-way lamp sockets have 2 "hot" screw terminals on them (instead of just one) and one neutral screw terminal, the purpose of that is so that you can wire the socket to operate another light in tandem with the light socket circuit (e.g. the light socket, the light in the base of the lamp, the light socket and the base of the lamp, or just off).

It was very common practice back in the 1940s-1960s to make lamps like that and they are kind of a pain to wire up because you have to wire it up correctly or else you'll either not have power going to the correct portions of the lamp or you can blow a breaker or fuse.

My favorite kind of lamp to rewire/rehab are the old 1920s-1950s Floor lamps that had 2 3-way circuits and a night-light in the base. Fun times, and great ozone smells! :yes::D:scratch2:

Last edited:
BTW, in case anyone is wondering, the lamps are repaired and fully functional. Thanks all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom