NOT Small Advents!

Speaker cables were the shielded Supra version that I am sold out on right now.
You can buy it here but they sound just as good with my other unshielded Supra:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-ply3.4s/bulk-cable-per-foot-12-awg-shielded/

Take your time, I'm in a rush to prep for the Oct. Frankenfest.
What is a sheilded speaker wire for ? What does that mean . I got a roll of speaker wire from parts express I think a while ago . Don’t know if it was sheilded. Looked like rubber only thing around it.

Hey I liked my long gone ADC 303ax but the tweeter was beat on one of them. I had in very rough shape a pair of KLH # 23 but the tweeters were good and I made the swap. They sounded great for Frankensteened speakers and when I flipped them it was w/ full discloser.
I have a pair of ADC 303AX in the attic. I was just looking at them yesterday. The shame is, my brother blew the woofers years ago and I did a hack job of replacing all the original speakers when I was much younger. I turned them into a 3-way with a dome midrange, a ribbon tweeter, and 10 inch Norelco woofers. Talk about Frankenstein! I'm still wondering if I should even attempt to restore them. They were cheap speakers in the day, and you can find them ebay right now for $119 in all original condition. They do have nice walnut veneer cases, but the grills were ugly as sin.

I can't help but wonder if Pete's mods for the Advents are a different approach to the same issue as Zilch's ewaving of the Advents.

Would gutting a pair of Smaller Advents (bad cabs) and installing same in an EPI-100 cabinet (bad drivers) make for a listenable speaker?

Infullview: Those Norelco woofers might be Philips drivers, which might be quite good - I used to get Philips drivers from Zalytron, and they were surprisingly fine. The other drivers might not be bad either, even if none of them worked well together or in the 303AX cabinet. The 303AX was a very nice speaker, by the way.

Infullview: Those Norelco woofers might be Philips drivers, which might be quite good - I used to get Philips drivers from Zalytron, and they were surprisingly fine. The other drivers might not be bad either, even if none of them worked well together or in the 303AX cabinet. The 303AX was a very nice speaker, by the way.
They were Philips drivers with huge Alnico magnet structures and butyl rubber surrounds. They were 10 inch drivers, but never came close to the KLH model 5's in performance. Some day if I get really bored I may pull them out of the attic and take a second look. For now, I have other projects to keep me occupied.

I can't help but wonder if Pete's mods for the Advents are a different approach to the same issue as Zilch's ewaving of the Advents.

Interesting thought......
Pete, did you ever ewave a pair of Advents?
I think you talked about trying it, as you were curious about how it would compare to Advents with your BCS.
I have built your BCS for use on my OLA's, great improvement in sound for sure.
Jef

Interesting thought......
Pete, did you ever ewave a pair of Advents?
I think you talked about trying it, as you were curious about how it would compare to Advents with your BCS.
I have built your BCS for use on my OLA's, great improvement in sound for sure.
Jef

I did just one and A/B ed to a restored pair of OLA's I didn't think that they sounded very different
with the L-pad set to match them - even off axis so I never took them any further. Need to finish
them and might try to see what I can do with the crossover.

Pete, I seem to recall one of your posts where you had modified a pair of Advents and while you said it was a great improvement (close in performance to your main speakers) you weren't quite satisfied. My impression was it was not a suitably elegant solution even though it worked. This would have been a couple of years ago when I first joined AK, though I don't know how old the post might have been at the time. Am I just imagining things?

Pete, I seem to recall one of your posts where you had modified a pair of Advents and while you said it was a great improvement (close in performance to your main speakers) you weren't quite satisfied. My impression was it was not a suitably elegant solution even though it worked. This would have been a couple of years ago when I first joined AK, though I don't know how old the post might have been at the time. Am I just imagining things?

Sorry I missed this.
Time is really flying by, I think that we did that mod over 10 years ago. I did it quickly with
my youngest son and very few measurements. And I did few if any simulations. I did this
mod in a very similar way to how the Minimus 7 mod was done. Measured the electrical
transfer function of the crossovers and tweaked to get what I _thought_ would work. No
sims and no detailed measurements. We all thought that they sounded better than our
Vandersteen 2Ci s.
It was a mod to the NLA since we used NLA tweeters probably before I knew that they
did not age well. But I wanted it to be a mod to the NLA s so that people could mod
their own without buying new drivers. Now, as I'm doing here for the SA, I'd probably
replace the tweeter. In fact, I started a Not Large Advent planned to have a new tweeter
but I have way too many projects and some that are much more interesting so it is on
hold for now.

When you say the NLA tweeters did not age well are you referring to physically, such as ferofluid problems or that the NLA tweeters are lacking in performance compared to modern tweeters. I like to say the Advent woofer has stood the test of time much better than the tweeter in that the woofer still sounds good relative to new moderately priced woofers.

The fundamental resonance in the NLA tweeter is not at all consistent, probably
due to age. I guessed that it was variations in hardening of the ferro fluid, but in
the thread where I tried to remove the dome I found that the paper was very
brittle. Perhaps the condition of the paper has something to do with it.
It was an okay but not very good tweeter in the first place so the obvious thing is
to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom