Not sure how to connect this sub to my amplifier.

Hey guys. I have this fairly old Sony amplifier

That is quite the beast....I don't know much about Sony AVRs but that had to be at or near top of the line. Take care of it and it will serve you well.

Ask around friends and family and try to find a free receiver or amplifier. Someone has one thay are not using and you don't need anything fancy or 100% working. A dedicated subwoofer amp would be best but almost anything that has an RCA input and speaker outputs will drive the Bose subs and give you gain (volume) control at the very least.

Go hit some yard sales this weekend. $10 should do it.

Good luck!

If the OP was close, I would gift him a subwoofer. Any thing would be superior. I can't conceive trying to cobble some crap together to go with "that" receiver.

Posting at same time as above. Similar sentiments.

The bass response from some of the most diminutive subwoofers and speakers can be startling, all the more so when placed in corners. It lies in the engineering, design and so forth; driver size/compliment alone cannot predict what a given sub can and cannot do.

I have no idea how well the OPs subwoofers perform but as he seems reasonably satisfied with the results obtained so far, who is anyone to say otherwise?

Hey guys, was busy for a while, didn't have time to try anything out until tonight. I just read through all the messages, wasn't expecting this much commotion! :) I'll try the suggestions posted so far and update with my results by tomorrow night, thanks for your help guys. I will consider buying a new dedicated amp for the subs if I can't make anything sound at least decent as is.

Those of you who did nothing but tell me to get something other than bose subs, please leave me the **** alone. I realize these bose speakers are mediocre at best but I've already said I just want to do as well as I can with what I already have. "Advice" telling me to buy a different sub is worse than useless and I would rather you just not say anything.

Last edited:
I assume I'm missing something fundamental but why would I need another amplifier to run a sub from my amplifier?.

Nobody really answered this question for you . . .
The reason for a subwoofer output on an amplifier like yours is because there are so many different ways to deal with 'bass' (low frequency) signal. Some large speakers with big woofers built in can do a good job of reproducing bass signals, but it puts a heavier load on the amplifier. Bass sound is much less directional than mid and upper sounds, so one speaker is acceptable.. Your amp can separate out the low bass and send it to the Subwoofer output. It can take a huge amount of power to drive a Subwoofer and some people prefer to use a separate amp and speaker to handle those sounds. An amplifier designed for that purpose can handle that load and then your main amp doesn't have to. A subwoofer speaker can be much larger, 10", 12" 15", etc., in a larger cabinet, and will reproduce lower frequencies better. Some people chose a 'powered subwoofer' that has an amp built into the cabinet with the speaker, others chose to have a separate amp that then drives a cabinet that just has a woofer speaker inside it. The sub output from your amp is intended to send a signal to the input of another amplifier, it is not an output that can drive a speaker directly.
The point that the people were trying to make was that the Bose speakers would not efficiently reproduce bass sounds was because they are small diameter speakers, but they did not make it clear the is what they meant.
Forgive me if that is too much info.
Enjoy what you have and make the best of it,
merlyn
PS. whoaru99's idea is an ingenious workaround!

Hey guys, was busy for a while, didn't have time to try anything out until tonight. I just read through all the messages, wasn't expecting this much commotion! :) I'll try the suggestions posted so far and update with my results by tomorrow night, thanks for your help guys. I will consider buying a new dedicated amp for the subs if I can't make anything sound at least decent as is.

Those of you who did nothing but tell me to get something other than bose subs, please leave me the **** alone. I realize these bose speakers are mediocre at best but I've already said I just want to do as well as I can with what I already have. "Advice" telling me to buy a different sub is worse than useless and I would rather you just not say anything.
Wow!

Back
Top Bottom