Not this again....QRX9001

kevzep

Its all about the Music
This is a fairly mint QRX9001 which belongs to one of my customers, he just wants me to get it going, doesn't want a recap or anything fancy, so I'll sort the dreaded pass-throughs clean the switches, replace a few relays and do the lamps.
This is my 3rd one of these things, and I still get the heebie jeebies pulling them apart....not for the faint hearted.
Here we go!!
IMG_7630.JPG IMG_7631.JPG IMG_7632.JPG IMG_7634.JPG

At least you are willing to jump into them. One was enough for me.

I have a QRX-9001 here, but it's working fine after replacing the driver boards fuse resistors.

Rob

It gave me the heebie jeebies looking at it ..
Yeah, there are a lot better things to do than diving into one of these!! But they are a nice amp and worth the effort.

I have a QRX-9001 here, but it's working fine after replacing the driver boards fuse resistors.

Rob
Looks like you got off lightly, this one has intermittent channels, no Left front channel at all, just a quick inspection and I can already see several dry joints which are cracked on the pass-throughs...
I should have it done tomorrow all going well.

This is a fairly mint QRX9001 which belongs to one of my customers, he just wants me to get it going, doesn't want a recap or anything fancy, so I'll sort the dreaded pass-throughs clean the switches, replace a few relays and do the lamps.
This is my 3rd one of these things, and I still get the heebie jeebies pulling them apart....not for the faint hearted.
Here we go!!
View attachment 1445786 View attachment 1445787 View attachment 1445793 View attachment 1445794

I'm in need of someone like you here in the Netherlands...
I found one but his answer to my first contact was like "I don't want to work in this receiver but I don't know how to say no" :rflmao:
Well, quite impressive machine, good looking, it's in my main rack but one channel is dropping. I feel like having a beautiful woman at home that I can't f***

I've done two Sansui quads and a Pioneer - needless to say, I'm done. I applaud you for diving into more.

Been a while since I fought that battle, and not looking forward to doing it again: though I have two here that need it. These really are highly irritating to work on, if I'm being brutally honest. Just so much extra disassembly and aggravation to deal with versus most models I've worked on. Worth it for the end result, but there were times I had to walk away from the bench for a bit to regain my composure.

I have often wondered how they determined the internal layout for a model of such complexity in the era before CAD and the ability to quickly make changes in board size and placement. Had to be a nightmare for the design and engineering staff.

Did one myself, the full monty, and I'd much rather slam Little sKiZo in a drawer repeatedly than go thru that again!

stage-two-teardown.jpg

When youhave fixed a couple of these monsters...you can fix ANYTHING! Stereos, cars, planes, fridges...anything! Hehe..Kevin...enjoy!

Well there you go, all done, when I looked at the DC offset and bias, it was very close, hardly needed to adjust it. This one is actually in very good original condition.
The tuner hardly needed any adjustment as well, but these tuners are very disappointing, they really are not that good, not very sensitive, distortion is quite high for a tuner in a TOTL receiver. I guess Sansui focussed on the QUAD decoding which makes sense.

Its a lot of work doing those boards, it takes an eternity, there is a lot of Disassembly as you can see from the pictures. But worth doing, because you know its going to work when you put it all back together.
I wanted to document more of it but I have to get this out the door to make room for other things which are waiting, and my real job which has no sign of slowing down like it normally does at this time of the year....

I used 4mm LED's everywhere, in the meters and the dial face, it came out pretty well I think.
IMG_7682.JPG IMG_7683.JPG IMG_7684.JPG IMG_7685.JPG IMG_7686.JPG IMG_7687.JPG IMG_7689.JPG IMG_7690.JPG IMG_7693.JPG

Good Job Kev. Pity the owner didn't want to have it restored.
I think he wants to flip it. I don't think he's going to keep it. They are cool receivers, if I had the money, I would buy one, they are worth collecting.

Yeah man they really do worth it if you have the money and the ability to restore them. I was about to grab one 25 years ago , but the owner was asking the money for two B2301s at the time.
Never mind . Go on if you can. It sure worth's it.

15 or more years ago, I passed on one of those that was for sale for $35 dollars at the flea market. It just looked to big and complicated for me. I have no regrets.

15 or more years ago, I passed on one of those that was for sale for $35 dollars at the flea market. It just looked to big and complicated for me. I have no regrets.
You have a nice stash there, I wouldn't say no to your collection!!
The 9001 is quite big, and it is quite complicated, but for 35 bucks I don't think I could say no.....

Back
Top Bottom