nothing but silence...

klhdude

well my klh model 19 electric cord came today,just the rarest thing on earth,an pricy,

i plugged into my newly acquired model 19,an hey the turntable works,but i hear no static at all,and i try the fm............total silence,no static..no nothing......

im so sad,i was hoping i would get any sound,something i could clean an spray,an make work..but,total silence

now im many miles away from idiot stupid overpriced normans,an wizard electronics,an at least 60 bucks for only a bench test,an last turntable i tried to remove on a model 24,wouldnt come out...if its a fuse..what to do..if so..what made it blow..an thats an ..if..i see lites on an f m lite flickers in stereo with no antannae as i turn the dial....and this nice pricy ass white lectrical cord.............hells bells..what to do...sell it,or trade it all,and im a klh addict...aaaaaaaaaaaan i wish i could make it work..help...........theres nothing or no one south of atlanta it seems unless you need computer repair..anyone close to jackson,ga..let me know.....any ideas,its pretty cool..but no sound...

speakers were of course hooked up,and all was ready of course,please............lites were on and as i said stereo light was coming on with no antannea,aerial,whatever.......wish i woulda took electronics eons ago in school......

So, you now have a starting point. Do these things:

- turn volume all the way down

- rock all switches individually at least 10 times each

- after rocking each switch 10 times, on FM, turn volume up with headphones on and see if you hear anything

Ideally, you would ean pots and switches with contact cleaner.

Cheers,

David

somethin about it i like,it runs so quiet..ha, right.....this only has 2 aux. holes up top,.... and, record..... down on bottom next to speakers,no a m,and no headphone jack...schematics on back of unit like most model 20,s...dang i hate this not even makin a noise at all...

but would it lite up,an turntable work if fuse was blown???as they do...???

Sounds like the unit is alive for the most part if the lights and stereo indicator are coming on. I don't have any idea what's in there but a lot of older units had fuses for both power and speakers so there's a chance that the speaker fuses are blown.
There's a guy on youtube called Shango066 that rebuilt two of the Model 20s (I think same as yours with different record changer?) Might be worth watching the videos and seeing what he found. I think one had no sound as well and he ended up replacing the outputs.

o yeah the guy is good....i seen the videos but..i aint him..weird that a model 19 has no headphone jack..im also goin thru hell tryin to get tuning knobs on my model 24 back in sync and alighnment,and am dizzy from sinus issues an weak,but i cant keep lettin it beat me..these things have gears or something. its way in the white area,an i hear stations,an i shoulda done run out of room.listenin to 97.1 plum over in or near white area where theres nothing. a m is out of alighn and sync too,though i would never use it,o it sounds an rejects wonderful though..thanx people for tryin to help me,i like the simplicity of the 19,an i hear good things about them,an the model 19 speakers too..pricy.....i dont have the speakers though.....but i got others,an very good.....

after doin as suggested,i took all knobs off,wow they were tight,an i sprayed an cleaned an lubed them good,this thing is picking up stereo stations better maybe than my model 20 with a nice antannae on it..but,lo...and alas....still no sound..lights are really bright though picking up so many stations silently and in stereo,a deaf persons perfect stereo..now..what do i do..maybe a fuse is blown,but..if so... maybe something blew it out..and no things dont happen for a reason..things are caused,good...or bad,an the outcome is what we deal with....now..i need to be wealthy an pay someone a crazy amount to come an repair it...damnation....

OK, a previous poster mentioned speaker fuses, which makes sense since, no, it would not come on at all if a power fuse were blown. So, are there speaker fuses here? What about inside? Can you remove a back or bottom cover to look? Or, look at the schematic you said was with it - if there are speaker fuses they would be shown just upstream of the speaker jacks.

Possible for a tuner to work (tune stations) but have no output to the preamp stage, but if the TT is not making any sound either, it may be a problem in the preamp or power amp.

I am not sure what you mean by "two aux holes up top" but if that is a pair of stereo AUX inputs, try plugging in a CD player or other source.

Troubleshooting is one logical step after another. You can do it. :thumbsup:

I would like to buy you a large box of d's as you seem to be out of them for your ' and's '. :biggrin:

i dont have a c d player etc........i have cleaned pots an looked around inside far as i can,i cannot get turntable to come out,i simply dont know how..one place about 80 miles away wants to charge 49.00 to bitch test it,im gettin very irritated..an screw a bunch of correct punctuation..........i call others who may know something,an i get no calls back......the knobs sure turn easier...im fed up,an tired of this..if it was a guitar or amp,or a flyrod,im good with those.....but nope.i bet i would have to do something with wood blocks,and corner screws to get to fuses,an even if i found fuses,once again...what caused one to blow...if thats it...its got me brain tired kinda bad........im hungry and now have a headache.............this thing picks up stations incredibly from what i see watching the light on fm stereo...id be in heaven if i was deaf,maybe......

Not a perfect test but-

Plug in an RCA cable to an input, turn down the volume all the way, switch to that input, turn the volume up SLIGHTLY (about a 1/4 turn) and touch the center pin of the cable (don't touch the grounded shell, just hold the cable) and see if you can hear any buzz or humming sound, it's not a perfect test but can tell you if something is at least working.

Pick another input and repeat the test, always start with the volume at minimum.

Mark T. :music:

Here' we are at post #15 and I see our OP still admiring the problem. A number of us here have made clear and concise suggestions but there's not one report back from the OP that they have been attempted much less any report of results. There are no pictures posted and no evidence that even the bottom cover has been removed at this point.

As one of the 'arm chair bench techs', I'll take my time elsewhere. Sorry to be a pain about this and I do try to adopt the proper Karma to help others. The OPs, however, have to also be willing to invest time and effort for us to help them.

Cheers,

David

i have done all things suggested..ok....and i did tell about it all,one of us is just in the wrong area on here..its a weird place to post things,so far i have no sound at all..i was gonna remove turntable,but not sure how,an check fuses etc,but.i,ll wait an talk to a guy this weekend who maybe is open an works on these..depending on his knowledge and the price also......i cant do pics as i stated earlier..more than once..and i go into detail what i have attempted,i mean really,i paid for the thing dude,not you,an your just missing what i write somehow..it wont be a dead unit long,i live out in the stix kind of,all repair places are everywhere except close by..i especially wanted this one up an running cause also of the reason i bet it has the rarest electric cord of all k l h units........

I cant find anything in this thread about not being able to post pics. Note there are thousands of members here and hundreds who post daily. I havent read all your posts my friend.
$49 is cheap for bitch testing. Shoot a nice dinner for two (usual format for bitch testing) costs that much. :banana:

im retired,on disability and it dont pay much....i,ll try an talk to a guy tomorrow,probably gonna be way more than i can handle,we shall see............

no need to,as you watch the lights on fm its pulling in stations great an staying solid lit on most of them,with total silence..

if i could get turntable out,well then what..i really want this to work an do good,but everything is a money an help thing,i know no one in the area,an i will talk to a person or two tomorow who might know......i do see some white residue on a piece of square something...probably needs the caps that control speaker out put..im only guessing.........and i cant remember how to do pics........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom