Notice anything different about my living room?

MAC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Grumpy is the winner ! yes a MC240 to be exact. A little something I picked up a the bottlehead meet today. Alas, it's a loaner that Jonathan has been beyond kind to let me use for a few months, just cause. I never knew how big these things were and HEAVY! The up side is I will love it and the down side is I will love it.

It really looks right at home with the "kids". Ol' grandad will show
em how to rock!:cool:

Carl

I know they are not cheap, that's why I have borrowed one instead of buying one. The benefit without the expense. I do love the sound. The bass is what I have noticed. I've never heard my Altec's this lush. The bass is firm but with a velvet edge. I like it. I'm sure over time I will aquire one.

Will someone please tell me why the two amps pictured above while both are MC240 they have different front panels?

There's an early series and later I believe that you have. Early ones had square "holes" in the cage also, later round ones besides the
differences you see in the pics.

Carl

Just out of morbid curiosity,,,how much is it to have a new full complement of tubes for the 240?

Decided to remove the pre and run direct from the CD to the amp. Shortest signal path possible. Man, I love this amp.

Ahh the memories...

I believe there are three different designed front panels...

You got the same cd rack as i got. except mines alot taller :)

Originally posted by WhiteSE
Just out of morbid curiosity,,,how much is it to have a new full complement of tubes for the 240?

I did mine for about $250, but I bought good used tubes off ebay. NOS will set you back much more. I have 6L6's-GE, 12AX7's Tele's, 12AU7's Bugleboys, and 12BH7's old RCA's. Ihave a guitar amp guy that tested them for me and can match them, but i haven't taken him up on it, as i think i have matched them pretty good by ear. I love this amp. Right now, i am running the 240 full range into my PSB Stratus Gold i's. Plenty of volume!!!Like above, the Bass is fine and smooth, as is the midrange, and these amps go clear into the stratosphere on the treble range, you can really hear walls where the recording was made!

240 - What is Quality?

Good for you for having a McIntosh 240. From time to time, one hears discussions of "what's a classic?" and "how do new designs measure up to vintage gear?" I can't provide a definitive answer. Perhaps the story of my McIntosh 240 provides a clue, however.

According to the paperwork that came with my 240, it was purchased in 1965 in Chicago. At some point, it made its way to Atlanta. I purchased it (via the Internet) from someone there in 1995 (some 30 years later). It needed some capacitor work, and one new tube socket. Since 1995, I've used it regulalry, and in some cases every day. I've changed tubes (replacing the 6L6GC set with Groove Tubes (Saratov?) KT66's). I use the unit frequently, trying to get a least one worthwhile session of music (via CDs, LPs, SACDs, DVD-As, FM, and Dolby B and DTS-encoded disks) each evening, or at some point during the day on weekends. I drive Maggie 1.5 speakers (with a powered Hsu Research subwoofer). A Cary P-7 preamp provides control functions, with other gear for home theater.

I grew up with live music, and I've listened to music most of life. I find the McIntosh capable of providing imaging, detail, and "bloom" worthy of a live performance. Guests to our home are often astonished. At one point in the last 12 months, guests who entered the house during the playing of a Brubeck DTS-encoded disk, started searching for our piano (don't have one, but might get one).

Some 38 years after its first purchase (and possibly its manufacture), our McIntosh 240 is going strong, providing superb service almost every day, with a full range of media (from LP through today's hi-resolution formats). This kind of record is a sort of personal performance test for "classic" or intrinsic "quality." Very few of our electronic possessions seem to rack up this kind of record. I can't imagine the day when it would be "retired."

Enjoy that McIntosh 240 !!!

Good story,,,I always feel that I gravitate to things that are long lasting...
My Berning preamp is 23 years old, just like my L-96's...and I feel they will last many more ears.

Those MC240s are sure pretty (as are all Mac tube amps).

I can only dream...

But I'm content with my MC250!

Edit: As far as I'm concerned, old McIntosh components only get better with age. I have no problems spending large sums of cash on a vintage piece; the build quality is first rate on alot of these classics, including old H.H. Scott, EICO, Fisher, Pilot, Marantz, and other notable names. Except for McIntosh and a few others, they just don't make 'em like that anymore! Do you think that receiver at Best Buy or RadioShack will still be around in another 30 years? Doubtful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom