Noticeable Wow with New Belt

Did you get the red one or the clear one?
The red but I don't think the it matters much. I modded my 900 by first getting rid of the motor suspension setup and attaching it directly to the underside of the plint with a thin piece of Dynamat sandwiched between the motor and plinth. Also replaced the sprung feet with four of their Cachafaz adjustable feet. There's a bunch of info on the internet on how to clean and relube the bearing and sleeve.
-Matt

The red but I don't think the it matters much. I modded my 900 by first getting rid of the motor suspension setup and attaching it directly to the underside of the plint with a thin piece of Dynamat sandwiched between the motor and plinth. Also replaced the sprung feet with four of their Cachafaz adjustable feet. There's a bunch of info on the internet on how to clean and relube the bearing and sleeve.
-Matt

Thanks so much for the advice! I think you are the first person to comment that actually owns one of these. It sounds like you really know what you are talking about too. Which pulley did you get? I assume it's the 11mm 33/45? What is the benefit of attaching the motor directly to the plinth? I am very curious because I think my TT sounds great now but I'd love it to sound better!

When I put the old belt back on the wow goes away so I am willing to bet this new belt is just cheap crap. After I take it to my TT guy to make sure everything else is in working order, I'll try the belt from Tangospinner and report back.

As a short term solution try this: Remove the platter and old belt from the turntable. Wet a Q-Tip with rubbing alcohol. Power up the motor to get the pulley moving and hold the Q-Tip against the moving pulley and clean both grooves (33/45) and let dry. Wet the corner of a paper towel sheet with rubbing alcohol and clean the surface of the subplatter that the belt rides along and let dry. With the same wet sheet, wrap it around the old belt and slowly and carefully clean said belt by pulling it through a few revolutions. Finally, put a small amount of baby powder or talcum powder into a small ziploc bag. Place the cleaned belt into the bag shake it enough to coat the said belt with powder. Take out the belt and shake off the excess, mount the belt on the pulley and subplatter and give it a go. Probably not the root of the problem but a good maintenance procedure and it would eliminate one variable.
-Matt

Finally, put a small amount of baby powder or talcum powder into a small ziploc bag. Place the cleaned belt into the bag shake it enough to coat the said belt with powder.
Just make sure the Baby Powder has talc, not corn starch.

Just make sure the Baby Powder has talc, not corn starch.
Valid point. Since talcum is dangerous for a baby to inhale, most baby powders use corn starch these days. Having said that, I've been using baby powder to coat and store turntable belts with no issues...ever. I realize that moisture will make cornstarch clump but if you use common sense there shouldn't be a problem.
-Matt

Back
Top Bottom