Nova 8b recap

try1256

Finally got around to recapping the Nova 8b's today. I didn't do the full xo rebuild but figured the recap would improve them some. It did. Highs and mids are much clearer and stronger. When I first listened after the recap I thought I had lost some bass but I think it was just that the mid and high frequencies were stronger. After a few hours of listening, my ear has grown accustom to the new sound and I like it. Definitely worth the effort. The new caps are a lot bigger and wouldn't fit where the old ones were so I just hot glued them to the back of the cabinet. I was lucky, the xo was right behind the woofer so I didn't have to remove it, just soldered the new caps in with it in place. Here are a few pictures of my work.

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 133
Good job.....always fun to make incremental improvements in performance, and to do it yourself. Two thoughts:

1-I have found that caps do take some time to break in, I don't think you will hear massive changes, but I bet the sound smooths out and becomes easier to listen to.

2- I would make sure the caps are secured pretty well.....vibration can degrade the sound of the crossover.

Enjoy!

Finally got around to recapping the Nova 8b's today. I didn't do the full xo rebuild but figured the recap would improve them some. It did. Highs and mids are much clearer and stronger. When I first listened after the recap I thought I had lost some bass but I think it was just that the mid and high frequencies were stronger. After a few hours of listening, my ear has grown accustom to the new sound and I like it. Definitely worth the effort. The new caps are a lot bigger and wouldn't fit where the old ones were so I just hot glued them to the back of the cabinet. I was lucky, the xo was right behind the woofer so I didn't have to remove it, just soldered the new caps in with it in place. Here are a few pictures of my work.
Cool. If you should be so inclined may I suggest...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=307141&highlight=nova

I have read that post all the way through many times. I read a post by someone who had done the mod that the mids were very upfront afterwards. I found that to be true even after the recap. What I found as well is the switches on the x-over actually seem to have an effect now so I switched the mids to the lower setting and it seems to suit my ear better. I wish there was a schematic to put a switch or pot in the circuit to adjust the mid and high level. That would be a real winner. I still may try it at some point.

I have read that post all the way through many times. I read a post by someone who had done the mod that the mids were very upfront afterwards. I found that to be true even after the recap. What I found as well is the switches on the x-over actually seem to have an effect now so I switched the mids to the lower setting and it seems to suit my ear better. I wish there was a schematic to put a switch or pot in the circuit to adjust the mid and high level. That would be a real winner. I still may try it at some point.
Wiring a pot in should be fairly simple. If you check out the Mach One thread there is a schematic with the pots. You would, of course, have to knock holes in the cabinet or change out the terminal plate for something different. Hmmm, I'll have to see if my spare HPM-100 plates might be the ticket. Should be small enough to work, but the pots will still be an issue.

Another option, the Nova 8b makes a great econowave. I considered recapping or doing the videolady mod but ended up opting for the econowave. I like it MUCH better now. There are several folks that have e-waved a Nova 8b/Optimus 5 (including me) in the e-wave thread.

Another option, the Nova 8b makes a great econowave. I considered recapping or doing the videolady mod but ended up opting for the econowave. I like it MUCH better now. There are several folks that have e-waved a Nova 8b/Optimus 5 (including me) in the e-wave thread.

Can you provide a link for the econowave thread? Id like to read more about that option. Thanks.....

I know I'm responding to an old thread but hoping I can get some solid information.

I have a pair of Nova 8bs cat 40-4026A that have two blown capacitors (10 uf 50v). My mids don't fire at all even though I put a meter on them and they read dead on 4 ohm. I bought them for $75 and told they were "tested", my fault for not insisting they be plugged in!

Anyway I have never recaped a crossover or really done any type of electronic repair or wiring.

My question is does it matter that you, try1256, replaced them with 250v instead of the 50v that was in the original? And is there a big difference between these Dayton's and whatever I can pick up at Radio Shack? I don't know the diff between electrolytic, polypropylene, etc.
Do you suggest that I attempt this repair since I've never soldered before? I am fairly mechanically inclined but this is a bit different than turning a wrench haha.

There is a pair of crossovers on ebay for $20 free shipping for cat no. 40-4026, no "A". Would this just be the easier route for me or even work since its not the "A".? They look identical.

Thank you very much! Hoping to learn more about the electronics world.

I know I'm responding to an old thread but hoping I can get some solid information.

I have a pair of Nova 8bs cat 40-4026A that have two blown capacitors (10 uf 50v). My mids don't fire at all even though I put a meter on them and they read dead on 4 ohm. I bought them for $75 and told they were "tested", my fault for not insisting they be plugged in!

Anyway I have never recaped a crossover or really done any type of electronic repair or wiring.

My question is does it matter that you, try1256, replaced them with 250v instead of the 50v that was in the original? And is there a big difference between these Dayton's and whatever I can pick up at Radio Shack? I don't know the diff between electrolytic, polypropylene, etc.
Do you suggest that I attempt this repair since I've never soldered before? I am fairly mechanically inclined but this is a bit different than turning a wrench haha.

There is a pair of crossovers on ebay for $20 free shipping for cat no. 40-4026, no "A". Would this just be the easier route for me or even work since its not the "A".? They look identical.

Thank you very much! Hoping to learn more about the electronics world.

Morning Captn,
Sorry for the delay in replying, I was out of town over the weekend.
The 250 v are fine, reason for using the Daytons is they were good quality and not expensive. They came highly recommended here on AK. Not sure about the difference in the crossover if any. My 8b's really woke up when I recapped them. I would still like to hear them with the VL crossover. Have you read this thread?
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...c-nova-8b-rebuild-crossover-re-design.307141/

The 8b's have been out of the rotation for a while as I have moved on to other speakers. Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom