Now that the Antennacraft FM6 is discontinued, what's my best bet for an antenna?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by ChopperChas, Nov 16, 2016.

1. dlrhawks

dlrhawks New Member

Just bought a Winegard HD6010 from Home Depot, $27 ship to store. Just installed it today, hooked up to a Kenwood KT-615 in very nice original condition.

I installed it at my cabin, right next to the Mississippi River on the Iowa side. I'm right up against a 450 foot bluff to the west, and a 400 foot bluff about a mile and a half across the river on the Wisconsin east side. It's a very bad location for reception for just about any type of electronics, but I can get some reception due north to southeast. I've never really been able to get any reception with your average ordinary dipoles that one can buy for $5 - about 30 miles was the limit. I knew I needed an outdoor solution, but given the river valley aspect, I was afraid I wouldn't get much improvement.

I have it mounted on an old DirecTV j-pole dish mount about 12 feet off the ground using a 60 foot piece of rg6 coax (that's roughly 16 years old!) with zero splices. I picked up an FM station in Madison WI approximately 88 miles to the tower this afternoon. Lacrosse WI stations roughly 70 miles come in with ease. I'm not really aiming at them either!

Not bad for $27 and a couple hours work. I had zero stations worth listening to before out of maybe 10 total (modern country drivel galore). I now have 6 that are listenable. Maybe 40 stations total come in now. I now get a couple college radio stations, three decent classic rock stations I didn't get prior, a good classical station, and a low watt pirate station out of Glen Haven WI (Pool 10 FM), which was the sole reason I bought the antenna!

Considering the location and money spent, very satisfied...

kyrie59 likes this.
  2. NH-MAN

NH-MAN AK Subscriber Subscriber

T
    there is a way cool amp on page 63 with built in crossovers

3. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

I agree, this is an antenna I'd love to try a great deal. Shows promise.

4. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Finco FM-5 and FM-6 are some of my favorite FM antennas of all time, very excellent for distant and fringe reception on FM on a good mast with a rotor.

5. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

You really need a grounding block in there for safety. Ground wire from mast to block, RG6 into each side of the block, ground wire out to your house grounding system.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/external-antenna-question.601116/

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. dlrhawks

dlrhawks New Member

The coax and mast are indeed grounded.

7. backmd

backmd Active Member

Had to rebuild it today. Wife helped considerably. The zip ties snapped, and reestablished the half of the reflector and half of the director. WFMT a classical music station is back at 5 plus bars and in stereo. Will perform a station count later this evening.

8. backmd

backmd Active Member

Had to rebuild it today. Wife helped considerably. The zip ties snapped, and reestablished half of the reflector and half of the director in decent geometry. WFMT a classical music station is back at 5 plus bars and in stereo. 60 stations at about midnight. Pretty good for wood and zip ties in addition to the Antennacraft FM6. The antenna is pointed directly at the Willis (Sears) tower.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  9. backmd

backmd Active Member

12-28-17 Maybe antenna amp A is faulty, disconnected such and now everything works fine!

1120 pm 67 stations, a new record never sounded so clear! WDCB is 4.8 bars and in stereo, WFMT is 5.2 bars and very glorious stereo, lot of depth to the signal

10. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

Where are you located? Saying WFMT doesn't mean much if you live in Evanston. Maybe you had it in your original post. Could you please enter your city or zipcode in the box on the left? Thanks

11. Teddy White

Teddy White New Member

Would love to know what the OP wound up doing and if it helped, as I live about 40 miles away down I-40 SE of Raleigh.The Piedmont topography makes FM reception a bit challenging; I know all too well what it's like to be able to listen to a station in the car w/crystal-clear reception right up to the driveway...and have it disappear into static in the house. Had I read this thread when it was posted, I would have offered to switch houses with him, as I pick up the stations he listed just fine with just a pair of rabbit ears & I could listen to the college stations in Durham & Chapel Hill that are Internet-only here, regardless of any antenna you might put up (my wife probably wouldn't have like that suggestion much, so it's just as well that I didn't!).

12. Rdd

Rdd New Member

Denny’s antenna service Ithaca mi phone 989-875-4902 long range fm 2500 hd fm antenna 89.95

13. BigElCat

BigElCat AK Subscriber Subscriber

This Ebay special works great, it's compact enough that I used a top rail of a galvanized fence as a mast. It's stayed up 3 years and counting.

This unit is sold under different names, by different vendors. You can recognize the bow ties.

I draw stations 90 miles away, Kansas City gives a maxxed out signal strength, 40 miles away.

It was $25 delivered, with a cheesy rotor that will spin 360* one direction only.

I have it connected to a Sansui TU-X701.

DSC00456.JPG