1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Now that the Antennacraft FM6 is discontinued, what's my best bet for an antenna?

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by ChopperChas, Nov 16, 2016.

1. backmd

backmd Active Member

Are you serious free? PM me please

Please register to disable this ad.

2. EddyR

EddyR Well-Known Member

The FM 6 and a eight element log periodic style went to the dump last week
    Ed

3. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Here it is, a full year and 4 months later......it still sits, assembled, in the back of my shed. Connected to anything? Nah.

Lord help me.

4. backmd

backmd Active Member

So the Antennacraft fm 6 at 20 feet in the air was not receiving my favorite classical station in stereo. But it was a full 5 bars, despite the drought we were having. So with the theory that the drought was harming the grounding with the earth, I poured about 5 gallons of water by the 4 foot copper ground rod. Set a new record 70 stations at 3pm when it is 90 degrees out and the classical station is 5.2 bars and in STEREO, the jazz station is at 5.2 bars also. So if you want to supercharge your outdoor antenna, just pour 5 gallons of water by the ground rod!

5. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8642 Subscriber

Yup ... old hammer trick is to put a few inches of epsom salt about a foot underground around the rod so it leaches in slowly. Done right, it shouldn't hurt the grass or surrounding plants. Should last a good long time, but if you start to lose reception, dig a plug out and add some more epsom salt as needed.

A mix of gypsum and cheap kitty litter is also fairly popular for that.

6. backmd

backmd Active Member

Pioneer TX9100 intermittent stereo on WFMT at 98.7Mhz in Chicago
    Is the problem the antenna or the tuner?
    OK the Pioneer SX300 aka Sound Project 300 gets a stereo signal on WFMT, so that rules out the antenna as a causative factor in not getting WFMT in stereo.
    MPX board AWD-002
    MPX chip PA1310P All surrounding capacitors exonerated ie no capsistors
    Pin Number Spec Measured

3 5.0 5.2 after comparing to TX9500 pin 3 is indeed at 5.0 spec

4 8.8 7.4

5 8.8 7.4

9 2.5 2.5

12 2.4 2.5

I went through all the trimmer caps and the adjustable coils and peaked all of them twice. Put the covers back on, since WFMT stereo is now stable throughout the L and R side of the center channel meter designated black center region.

Soldered two more caps for 10,000uf at the 24 volt supply. Super quiet and receives 98.7 in stereo at the full width of the center tuning meter designated black center region. Back to the coveted rack.

79 stations definitely a new record!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018

7. backmd

backmd Active Member

93 stations at 1118pm on 8-16-18 definitely a new record

8. BeerLegs

BeerLegs Super Member

I bought a used RS Archer, or Antenna Craft for $15 today. It's the RS VU-190. It's actually a VHF, UHF, FM antenna. Good for up to 100 miles is the claim. Their largest one they made in the mid to late 80's, but I think they came out with a larger one in the 90's.

Large FM antennas are getting hard to find.

094 (1).jpg
    7d273cbf852947929c416f67bd049206.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  9. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

10. backmd

backmd Active Member

Pioneer TX9100 with 10,000uf stabilization of the 24 volt supply yields so many more stations. All my ears tell me is that the noise level is way way down, and perhaps that enables me to hear the distant stations that were formerly in the hash of the background hiss; just a theory.

11. backmd

backmd Active Member

Well obviously the blizzard brought it down, and even bent the mast severely. A few more zip ties and we are back up at 20 feet. However had to use 600 pound test ropes to stabilize the 3 guy ropes at 120 degrees. Function exceeds form considerably, because I do not want to have the antenna mast bend again since it is winter here in
    Chicago

12. Vinyl Rules!

Vinyl Rules! Well-Known Member

http://dennysantennaservice.com/long-range-fm-antenna.html Will take you to a reseller of what appears to be a decent fm yagi antenna. The seller has compared it to the long discontinued Winegard 6065, and while the Winegard has slightly better specs, this one is close. The price is $100.

The actual antenna is said be the top half of a Winegard HD “Stacker” antenna that sells for $140 (http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_stacker_tv_antenna-html.html) a not unreasonable price IMHO given the scarcity of good outdoor yagi antennas in today’ market.

Even more impressive is a TV antenna shoot-out (http://.com/best-tv-antenna.html) “Denny” claims to have conducted on 19 different outdoor TV antennas. Personally, I’m glad to see a new outdoor FM yagi antenna become available. For those who already have a good tuner, a good outdoor FM yagi antenna on a mast with a rotor can transform a mediocre FM tuner into a great one.

NOTE: I have no personal experience with this antenna, and I do not know “Denny,” and I have no financial interest in his business. I will add though that back in the day, Winegard made good quality FM and TV antennae. There is not much of s market now for external long range yagi FM and/or TV antennae, so I hope this is a good antenna. I personally wish “Denny” well because good quality, long-range FM antennae are almost “unobtanium” in today’s market. :rockon:

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  13. k6sti

k6sti New Member

14. Vinyl Rules!

Vinyl Rules! Well-Known Member

15. Punker X

Punker X Moderator Moderator Subscriber

While i didn't order the FM or HD stacker. Recently did order a HD TV antenna from Denny's and could not be happier. Great quality, and fast shipping.