Now to really start hearing things nobody else does...

Whatever happen to I think they were called 'Fone Bonz'. They were advertised in the back of magazines in the 70's & 80's. Supposidly a radio shaped like a scarf they went around your neck and used sound penetrated into your bones to make the music reach your ear which of course is made of bone cartlidge. I may have the name wrong but I always wondered if anyone got one and just how it really worked? Some funky invention for sure! :scratch2:

madpioneer:

Yeah, I remember those ads. Never got one or knew anyone who got one.

It would be interesting to see if you at least get a good massage out of it, and if different kinds of music would do different things along those lines.

Dingus:

Well, yeah...I was more into the scooter thing too. Both actually look like cool technologies. But I figured this is AudioKarma and not FlyingScooterKarma, though it would be good for the off topic thread.

The Fone Bone was actually just a cloth padded tube with a speaker on each end that was shaped like a bone. I don't think it was designed to send sound vibration through your bones. It never did anything for my bone.

Bone Fone

i think actually it was the BoneFone. i think....i had access to one and tried it out. wasn't impressed.

Regarding the original post here about the Hyper Sonic Sound device:

I did a little research on this company a couple years ago after someone showed me an article in Popular Science. I was trying to see how we could use them in the pro audio business. I got to check them out at a trade show in Orlando and found they had pros and cons. It is incredibly cool technology. They had a couple mounted about 8 feet in the air pointing down on different spots of the demo area. You didn't hear a thing standing a foot away from the spot, but as soon as you stepped below them it was as if they turned it on. The sound effects they were using sounded good but they weren't exactly full of dynamic range nor were they full in there frequency response. The demo tracks were things like spoken word, rain forest... They talk about uses like at an art museum were you could stand in front of a painting and hear the description of what is in front of you without hearing what the guy is listening to standing right next to you and vice versa. Like I said, very cool but for home audio stuff, they're freqency response only went down to around 200Hz and the dynamic range isn't close to what you get out of a good old pair of speakers.

By the way there's nothing wireless about them. They are self powered with a built in amp and require a signal source. What they are saying is you can sit there and be thee only one in the room hearing the TV while sitting on the sofa if that is where you aim the device.

Brian

Last edited:
IIRC, Mission impossible did this, in an episode, in 67 or so. They pointed this disc, at a guy, and made sure he heard something TOTALLY different, from those around hinm, and ONLY him. I think the episode was "the play".

Interesting how sci fact always starts with sci fi. I wonder if even Da Vinci was just kind of fantasizing when he started drawing up ideas for flying machines.

Maybe the sound quality of that technology can improve over time. In any case, I hope it has staying power.

Back
Top Bottom