NS 1000 Speakers

vga911s

Hello fellow Yamaha spkr owners. What if any neg sound staging drawbacks would pairing up 2 left or 2 right NS 1000's making them a working pair in a system. Thanks in advance.

My set of NS-1000M's were once two of the same (Rights). Kept and eye on the bay. And picked up a left cabinet. Refinished both cabinets.

Two pairs of left or right NS1000 speakers would look cool and perhaps sound better for horizontal placement. I've used left right pairs horizontally and while the tweeters aren't on a equal plane they didn't bad but I had nothing to compare it too. The closer the serial numbers are the better would be my concern. A few of the tweeters in the NS1000 series are not offset but straight up and down. For vertical placement I'm not quite sure what the offset is supposed to achieve but I'm sure there is some logic behind it. Your 'problem' sounds like an embarrassment of riches. You seem to have quite an interesting collection of NS speakers. My complements.
Michael

Psychoacoustic effect of knowing two R's or two L's is not what Yamaha intended could be strong. The earlier 690 was not mirrored so there must be a good reason the engineers went to mirrored for the 1000.

I don't know Yamahas intentions or science of L/R mirror imaging but I know both are exquisite speakers.
Picture 1200.jpg

My 670's aren't mirrored, but 500m's are; I notice no difference with imaging/staging whatsoever. Both pairs sound great.

index.php
For what you typically pay the NS-690's are fabulous speakers with a sweet mid-range.

I love my NS-690ii speakers but my OCD is bothered by the lack of mirroring.

index.php

I love my NS-690ii speakers but my OCD is bothered by the lack of mirroring.

I just keep the grill covers on and don't worry about it. You could always build a custom set of cabs for them. Mine are a little chewed up on the tops and corners so at the minimum I'll probably get them refinished.

I just keep the grill covers on and don't worry about it. You could always build a custom set of cabs for them. Mine are a little chewed up on the tops and corners so at the minimum I'll probably get them refinished.

i guess that once I have NOTHING to do and a backup pair of NS-1000 I might try and mirror them and also re-veneer with something exotic just for kicks.

i guess that once I have NOTHING to do and a backup pair of NS-1000 I might try and mirror them and also re-veneer with something exotic just for kicks.

Oh yeah, heavy on the nothing to do...I have a pair of JBL L100's that I eventually plan to redo the crossovers on and of course I want to reinforce one of my AV racks and refinish my NS-690's and get my C-2 recapped and...actually I think the 690's absolutely deserve a spiced up look that befits their marvelous sound.

I have to send off one of my NS-690 woofers. The dreaded "shifted magnet" syndrome.:yikes:

Well I drove down to LA and picked these bad boys up Wed morning. I now own a pair of NS 1000's. Both are in great shape. Drove back to the bay area this morning. I have heard many and currently own a few different Yamaha NS series speakers of this generation( Love them all), strangely I have never listened to a pair of NS 1000's until today and I must say these do impress me greatly. As with all Yamaha speakers of this NS series these are clear and detailed, I will use these very low stands to help with the bass response and I kinda like the low look . I plan to spend the remainder of this day enjoying these heavy monsters and resting up from the long drive.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1566.JPG
    IMG_1566.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Well I drove down to LA and picked these bad boys up Wed morning. I now own a pair of NS 1000's. Both are in great shape. Drove back to the bay area this morning. I have heard many and currently own a few different Yamaha NS series speakers of this generation( Love them all), strangely I have never listened to a pair of NS 1000's until today and I must say these do impress me greatly. As with all Yamaha speakers of this NS series these are clear and detailed, I will use these very low stands to help with the bass response and I kinda like the low look . I plan to spend the remainder of this day enjoying these heavy monsters and resting up from the long drive.

Congratulations! In what ways do they differ from your 200ma's?

The 200ma needs help with the low end bass freq.. A lot of this has to do with the size delta between the woofers and the cabinet size delta between the 2 but also the fact that the 200ma speaker stands place it much higher from the floor as can be seen in the picture.. I have had these low wooden KELF stands forever but have never used them before today. The level of clarity, detail, cleanness of sound seems to be the same which is a hall mark of this series of speakers regardless of the model you pick

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom