NS-2000's from HiFiDo

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Mark B, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Mr. Yamaha

Mr. Yamaha Not so much Yamaha lately... Subscriber

The 'factory matched pair' (aren't they all) for almost 7 grand?

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

I know nothing about these speakers, their value, etc. They do seem rare however.

3. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

You can get NS-2000's delivered from Japan for about half that, and almost certainly they'll be in better condition.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    808_state likes this.
  4. theophile

theophile Pheasant Plucker. Subscriber

Which explains why they have been sitting on PHX CL for quite a while.

5. Mr. Yamaha

Mr. Yamaha Not so much Yamaha lately... Subscriber

I'm just trying to verify which pair you mean ;)

That's exactly what I meant, indeed. Unfortunately for the Dutch there's a 35% import charge over everything (value, shipping cost, insurance, etc.). :crazy:

6. Mark B

Sure, but even with the import duty you get a pair of NS-2000's for under $5000. They're easily worth that.

Mr. Yamaha likes this.
  7. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic

I have to admit, that was a loaded question pertaining to the MX-1000, but MX-10000?

That makes you the second person with an impressive audio collection that prefers the C-1 to MX-10000, or to pretty much anything else.

Now not to highjack this thread tottaly, you had the chance to do an AB comparison between the NS-2000 and those infinities.
    Do you mind sharing your thoughts?

8. 808_state

808_state Active Member

Actually after further research I'm also considering the C-70 and CX-1 as well...there seems to be some consternation round these parts concerning the loudness control. I'm not under any sort of misconception that any one of these pre's don't color/affect the sound in some way, I just happen to like the way Yamaha does it. I most certainly commend those in the quest for utter neutrality.

I thought Mark said in another thread that his CX-10000 needs a refurb...so what about the C-1 vs. the CX-10k running on all ten cylinders?

9. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic

that would be interesting...
    I do not have an MX-10000, but I have C-1(s) not yet running on all 10 cylinders, yet they sound extremly good...for 40years old units with so many pots and switches, that is beyoung impresive.

10. zaibatsu

zaibatsu Active Member

Would you care to share any commentary on what you feel it does better sonically?
    They seem to have quite a following, I wonder what's inside the box. Love their mascot.

11. Mark B

"The Truth" has wonderful synergy with my amplifier, and is amazingly transparent - the least colored preamp I've ever heard.

zaibatsu likes this.
  12. Mark B

Since the question was about preamps I take it you mean do I prefer the C-1 over the CX-1000 & CX-10000. That would be yes RE: the CX-1000, and no RE: the CX-10000.

Yes, I compared the IRS Delta/Gammas & the NS-2000's. Other than bass response, which goes to the Infinities, the NS-2000's are superior. The bass response of the NS-2000's is very good, quite good enough to make it an easy decision for the NS-2000's to take the Infinities place in my system.

808_state and rottalpha like this.
  13. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic

This is what got me confused

14. Mark B

Kitty listening to Bill Evans Trio on NS-2000's

unnamed.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  15. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think cats like Bill Evans. Mine insists on the sweet spot every time I've got him playing.

16. 808_state

808_state Active Member

OMGCat! likes this.