NS-2000's from HiFiDo

so my hypothesis did not come through as far as cloth sourround replacements for all HIFI-DO sold NS-2000, but I am almost certain that HIFI-DO replaces the sourrounds before they market the speakers. Most original foam sourrounds would have desintegrated by now.

On a separate note, I did pick up my set of NS-2000 last weekend and they are everything the seller said they'd be. I am very happy particularly because I do not have to worry about sourcing replacemet sourrounds. All in all Im very happy I got them. I just wish I could have them in my system already and not in storage 2500miles away. Tears...

Last edited:
yes, picked them up, but I wil not get to listen to them for a while :(
I'd be happy to store them in my living room for you. That way those cloth surrounds won't dry out and tear when you're ready to use them.

Aren't I nice? :)

I'd be happy to store them in my living room for you. That way those cloth surrounds won't dry out and tear when you're ready to use them.

Aren't I nice? :)

you sure are but if I had the time to take them to your place, I would rather take them over to the west coast.

How far are you from Chicago?

Updating this thread with a recent photo. A few months ago I moved from a house that I'd been renting to an apartment.

The only room suitable for the main system was the living room (~18' x 14') with the system on the long dimension toward one end. I think it sounds quite good. My listening position is a leather sofa directly opposite the system. The cats listening position varies widely.

View attachment 1276647
I meant to ask:
I see your new listening space is wider and has windows. Does that make a difference?

They look like new, but I can't tell if they were replaced.
I can't tell from the pics - are the surrounds black? They kinda look grey, but can't tell.

There's no doubt they've been replaced - the original black rubber / fabric ones did not make it through 36 years, no doubt. Mine have the grey foam surrounds that are more readily available.

When I bought my NS-2000's from a seller in CA (see the Yamaha pics thread, I just posted them), the seller actually has a NOS JA-3301, which is an NS-2000 reconing kit, complete with the carbon fiber cones in new condition. The original owner was a Yamaha employee and bought them in 1994 new.... I didn't buy them because he was asking $700 (which was crazy), plus they are already 24 years old, and they deteriorate in the box too! They were the black rubber/fabric just like when they were new in 1982.

I asked a contact of mine at HiFiDo to share the source of the surrounds they use, he wouldn't give, quoted "company policy" They are pretty tight lipped on sources for service parts.

I can't tell from the pics - are the surrounds black? They kinda look grey, but can't tell.

There's no doubt they've been replaced - the original black rubber / fabric ones did not make it through 36 years, no doubt. Mine have the grey foam surrounds that are more readily available.

When I bought my NS-2000's from a seller in CA (see the Yamaha pics thread, I just posted them), the seller actually has a NOS JA-3301, which is an NS-2000 reconing kit, complete with the carbon fiber cones in new condition. The original owner was a Yamaha employee and bought them in 1994 new.... I didn't buy them because he was asking $700 (which was crazy), plus they are already 24 years old, and they deteriorate in the box too! They were the black rubber/fabric just like when they were new in 1982.

I asked a contact of mine at HiFiDo to share the source of the surrounds they use, he wouldn't give, quoted "company policy" They are pretty tight lipped on sources for service parts.
I just added a comment to your other post.

Yes, I think HIFI-Do does have a source, but if they give it up it would cost them big.
Most speakers on the Japan auction site, do not have the sourrounds or the sourrounds are tottally ruined, so for someone like myself that prefers not to go to the ordeal of having to replace them, I would have bought the NS-2Ks from HIFI-DO if they did not become available "locally".

the original black rubber / fabric ones did not make it through 36 years,
I think the original NS-2000 sourrounds were foam not fabric. If they would have been fabric, they would have been around for another 40 years.
NS-1000, M,X, all have fabric and I have yet to see a woofer with rotten sourrounds.

I just added a comment to your other post.

Yes, I think HIFI-Do does have a source, but if they give it up it would cost them big.
Most speakers on the Japan auction site, do not have the sourrounds or the sourrounds are tottally ruined, so for someone like myself that prefers not to go to the ordeal of having to replace them, I would have bought the NS-2Ks from HIFI-DO if they did not become available "locally".

I would bet money that there is probably a small shop/factory near Tokyo that makes them to order.

I think the original NS-2000 sourrounds were foam not fabric. If they would have been fabric, they would have been around for another 40 years.
NS-1000, M,X, all have fabric and I have yet to see a woofer with rotten sourrounds.
I said "rubber / fabric" not fabric. You might want to look into that, there are many sources that quote the rubber surround on the NS-2000. Have you ever seen the original? As I stated, I held a JA-3301 OEM replacement kit, and the surrounds were like rubber coated fabric...

I have never seen the actual 1982 originals in person, but many sources quote them as "rubber" and not foam...

Yes, I think HIFI-Do does have a source, but if they give it up it would cost them big

Agreed... I've also tried to get them to divulge some of the replacement caps they use in the 2000 X-over network, tight lipped there too of course! I was hoping the "good customer" status would get me a tip.... nada.

Maybe Mark can crack his open some day and snap a pic of the X-over network!!! :) My 2000's are all original in the x-over, and I am carefully mulling over what I want to do. Of course, they used Metallized paper caps in the originals --- chosen for their long life --- but they still are 36 years old, and no doubt degraded some. They still sound good though!!

One thing - the caps in the midrange / bass network on the x-over --- when Hifido maintains those (if needed) they leave the originals on the board... the original caps are epoxied in deep wells, and really hard to get out (some cut them out) so sometimes it's wise to work around them.

Agreed... I've also tried to get them to divulge some of the replacement caps they use in the 2000 X-over network, tight lipped there too of course! I was hoping the "good customer" status would get me a tip.... nada.

Maybe Mark can crack his open some day and snap a pic of the X-over network!!! :) My 2000's are all original in the x-over, and I am carefully mulling over what I want to do. Of course, they used Metallized paper caps in the originals --- chosen for their long life --- but they still are 36 years old, and no doubt degraded some. They still sound good though!!

One thing - the caps in the midrange / bass network on the x-over --- when Hifido maintains those (if needed) they leave the originals on the board... the original caps are epoxied in deep wells, and really hard to get out (some cut them out) so sometimes it's wise to work around them.

Have you tried looking at the sold items on the hifido site? They may have a few pics with closeups of the revamped crossovers.

Have you tried looking at the sold items on the hifido site? They may have a few pics with closeups of the revamped crossovers.
Yes, many times. They only show the parts they cut out, and not always. Like I mentioned, in addition, realize they leave the original mid / bass caps in there, they don't remove them.

They don't show the completed x-over boards, and I check sold listings for the last few years.

Yes, many times. They only show the parts they cut out, and not always. Like I mentioned, in addition, realize they leave the original mid / bass caps in there, they don't remove them.

They don't show the completed x-over boards, and I check sold listings for the last few years.

Very mysterious indeed because with my NS-1000x's they clearly showed Audyn Q4's.

Very mysterious indeed because with my NS-1000x's they clearly showed Audyn Q4's.
Yeah, I've seen on a couple of pairs of 1000's where they showed the replacement part like you said - but not on the board, just laying loose, right? I saw that again today with a pair of 1000's (no X) I was looking at over at HiFiDo.

They didn't show the board with the Q4's installed, but next to the cut out part, right?

Back
Top Bottom