NS-670 Question

gvalent

I’m in need of a little assistance.

I picked up a pair of NS-670s a couple of months ago. One of the mids was dead and shows resistance in the 20s (I have no idea what this means). I searched around for a driver and could never quite snag one. I then came across a pair of NS-200s mids and since they seemed like they would fit in the baffle wells of the 670s I picked them up.

Will these work OK? The 670s have the high crossover at 6000hz and the NS-200 is at 5000hz.

I was surprised by difference in weight and thickness of the drivers, the 670 mid being more substantial.

One other question- Are L-pads on the NS series speakers the same part or are they specific to each model?

Thank you for any help on this.

the mid and tweeters are repairable, the wire breaks usually part way between the coil and the external connection, i repaired a tweeter in my 670s

Thanks for the help inductor. I would rather try and repair the 670 mid than replacing with the 2 NS-200m mids anyway.

I guess I need to remove the protective screen and work through the front of driver to take a look at the coil. Correct?

My soldering turns out more like welding, so this should be a real treat.

The voice coil wire is a flat wire, wound very tight. Its pretty brittle. Take your time, have a well lit area.

J

So I need to:
- remove the rubber gasket that holds down the protective screen.
- Remove the screen and unscrew the 4 screws holding the magnet
- Lift the dome assembly straight up from the magnet and inspect the coil

Am I correct so far?

Thanks guys

I had to remove the gasket and the screen to get to the screws (not too much of a problem).
I took off the magnet and inspected the coil and could not find anything out of the ordinary, it looked OK to me. No sign of broken conections or burn etc.
I took a meter reading all around the connections to the coil and the leads to the coil and they all show zereo on the meter. Where the main lead come into the speaker the meter reads in the 20s, everything from that point comes up zero.
I don't know what this means, but I'm stumped.

Back
Top Bottom