NS500 Speaker Thoughts?

OMGCat!

There is a pair of NS500s (not 500M) locally that I'm thinking about picking up. I've never heard the magic of the Be drivers and am super curious after all I've read.

Anyone have any experience with them? My current speakers are a B&W Matrix 804 and DM620 which are also very natural sounding with good high frequency response. I'll be driving them with my A-1000 or B-2x.
I'm really happy with my current gear but I feel like I at least need to hear a pair of proper NSs eventually or I'm missing out. Would I be better off waiting for the 500m or better the 1000s?

Never heard them. They have a 10in woofer and are two-way rather than 12in woofer three-day, of it's bigger brothers. I would imagine they sound good, but not as good as the 500M s.
I have a set of the more rare 500Ma. They sound very good. I have a few sets of 1000s. Those sound fenomenal.
If they are cheap enough, go for it. On thing these would never have an issue with, is the magnet shift issue, it's 10in woofer design has a different physical design that doesn't seem would have the weakness of it's bigger siblings

They are a good price but it's about a 4 hour round trip to get them so I'll hold off until some 500m or 1000m pop up.

With all of this Yamaha gear I have it seems almost silly that I've never heard a pair of their most well known speakers.

:dunno: Never had the pleasure to listen to a set of 500's. I'm sure they will sound great..... They are Yamaha.

I had a roommate one time that had the 500's and they sounded very good but it's been a long time. I currently have some 500m's and 670's that I quite like!

Last edited:
I don't doubt they sound very nice but I've decided to wait until I can find a pair of the more known models. Seems like they used to pop up somewhat regularly but nothing recently except those 500s.

I don't doubt they sound very nice but I've decided to wait until I can find a pair of the more known models. Seems like they used to pop up somewhat regularly but nothing recently except those 500s.

I've seen prices all over the map for 500m's...if you ask me, considering how close they are in sound to 1000m's at far less the cost, they are an underrated value. In my opinion of course.

I own ns1000m, ns690 and the ns500. Very underrated speaker in my opinion. That 1” be tweeter is special in my opinion. Cabinets are poorly made though.

I am also intrigued by NS-500. You say the cabinets are poorly made, but they weight is 20kg/speaker. I observed also that fine Beryllium driver, and the Alnico magnet on the woofer (is that Alnico?). So, the good ingredients are there.

I am also intrigued by NS-500. You say the cabinets are poorly made, but they weight is 20kg/speaker. I observed also that fine Beryllium driver, and the Alnico magnet on the woofer (is that Alnico?). So, the good ingredients are there.

Note that he owns a pair of NS-1000, so his standard of comparison is already high.
The NS-500 cabs are on the junior level when you consider the 1000's cabs which might as well be made out of stone 'cause that's how solid they feel.

If the 500 cabs are similar to those of the 500M /Ma, then they are only OK. The 500Ma set I have has vinyl veneer. The 1000/M/MX have real wood, so it is not just the thickness and ridgidity of the cabs. It is also the finish.

I decided to pass on the 500s but they are on the Orange Co. cl if anyone is interested. Looks like they come with stands too.
I'm still on the lookout for a pair of 1000s to pop up locally. We seem to have everything else for sale between here and LA but I haven't seen a pair of those yet.

Back
Top Bottom