NS690 in Home Theatre?

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Jpete9, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Jpete9

Jpete9 Active Member

I have NS690mk1 and they aren't getting much use in my listening room. I have a home theatre in a box (blue ray player with 5 X 3ohm slim tower speakers.

I will buy a receiver and replace the blueray player and buy speakers to work with the 690s or if its not worth it ill buy a home theatre speaker set and receiver.

Is the 690 worth considering in this role?

PS: i understand i can add the 690 to the blueray as they are 8ohm and the current speakers 3ohm...but wont be a lot of power available for them? Is it even worth considering?

Blueray/amp is Samsun D5550W no power spec avail other that: total power=1000w - but who know what that means.

2. captouch

captouch AK Subscriber Subscriber

NS 690s are likely better than any home theater in a box speakers would be. They won't match the rest of your speakers in timbre, but that may not be too important to you.

I suppose you can try to use the existing blu-ray/amp, but it's likely not very high quality. If you try it, try at lower volumes first.

A used home theater receiver may be your best bet. One that has a mic and auto calibration would be best to help you automatically adjust volume and equalization among you different speaker brands and characteristics.

3. Jpete9

Jpete9 Active Member

I'll try them this weekend. If it shows enough promise i'll go ahead and hunt around for a receiver and new centre. Mine has that auto EQ feature...if i can find the mic. I think i can live with some imperfection if i can cure some of the issues you get with HTiB - clarity/boominess/cheapness.

Any issues with the 690s magnets next to LED TVs?

4. captouch

captouch AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't think LED TVs are affected by magnets, just the old CRTs. And with the size and weight of the 690's, I bet you'll have them far enough away from your screen such that they wouldn't affect a CRT either.

One thing: I wouldn't judge the 690's purely on their performance with the combined blu-ray/amp. From your signature, it looks like you have other Yamaha amps that are much more capable of showing what the 690's can really do. So even if they sound bad with the blu-ray/amp, they're more likely to sound like they do with your CA-1000 if you get a decent receiver to drive them.

5. Putterman

Putterman Super Member

You might consider using up the Yammies as a phantom center given that the Samsung center won't match them assuming the receiver allows you to do that.

Some of the more upscale receivers with Auto setup routines such as Audyssey found in Denon and Marantz, Yamaha's YPAO and Pioneer's MCACC can alter the frequency response of the speakers to better match each other.

Of course you might want to start looking at Yamaha AV receivers although personally not a big fan of amp to speakers matching which is to say any of the other brands mentioned would likely yield an improvement.

6. Jpete9

Jpete9 Active Member

Tried them on the Blueray - waste of time, can't drive them.

I dont use the receiver for anything other than ARC. I just want a pure 5.1 audio system using my original TV remote using CEC for control.

I'll definitely be trying Marantz or Denon or Pioneer. I am trying to find something that isnt over featured with rubbish i dont need that can just handle audio duties, not cost me a bomb and sound pretty good.

Thanks for the tip on a phantom centre. Does this come in some of the less feature units? i will buy a nice centre and sub, but not this year.