NYAL Moscode 300 Hybrid amp, any good?

GerryC

My amplifiers and receivers are primarily solid state, but I do love the sound of my Eico 2080. I want to try out more tube gear, and I have an opportunity to purchase a nice clean, unmodified New York Audio Lab Moscode 30?0 hybrid amplifier. My favorite speakers require a decent amount of power to sound their best; (JBL L300's, and Altec Lansing model 19's) I was wondering how "tube like" a hybrid amp like the Moscode 300 really sounds. Also, I've read about "transformer feedback" coming through the speakers from these amps, is this a malfunctioning amp, or a characteristic common to them all? I appreciate any opinions, and even suggestions for a similarly powerful tube amp, sufficient to drive the above speakers, my budget is $600 or so. I love the warm, smooth, yet clear and clean sound of my Eico 2080, how will the Moscode compare? Thanks in advance.

New York Audio Lab Moscode 300..
What you "basically" have is tube preamp and SS(mosfet) amplifier in 1 package.
Not saying it's a bad thing, just what is, I've heard an seen them, there a nice amp.

If someone is looking for an amp that's more solid statish then tubish this would be it.

-------
(my options here)
As far as tube amp suggestions,
I'd suggest anything 60wpc should be more than enough for either of those pair of speakers..
(myself 20wpc would be more than I'd need)

So I'd say your amp choices are pretty much about as wide open as could be for your needs there

I owned one of the Moscode amplifiers. It was OK, but wasn't much better than a Hafler DH220, IMHO.

Some say you get the benefit of the best of SS technology as well as with tubes in a hybrid design. Others say you get the worst of both. YMMV. :)

Back
Top Bottom