O2 Build

Judas Priest

Someone requested that I make a build thread of my O2 amp, so here it is :)

It´s a pretty straight forward build; what took the most time was sorting the resistors (I´m color blind, so I measure them all), and the ceramic capacitors. Some are pretty tiny, it´s hard to see the markings.

I ended up measuring them too :)

Some of the solder pads are really tiny, almost as difficult as soldering SMD, except that the parts stay in place while soldering.

Unfortunately, the holes in the front plate are drilled wrong; that cost me a lot of time and trouble, soldering the parts at different heights from the board to fit the holes. Only to find out that this way, the front plate and cicuit board don´t fit in the case :(

The seller was very friendly, and doesn´t understand how that could have happenned; a new front plate is on the way :)

Here are a few pictures. I´ll post more with the finished board when the front plate arrives.
resized_20180127_182508.jpg resized_20180127_192048.jpg resized_20180128_182205.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the thread.
Shame about the front panal but it looks like it will be a nice little amp.
Good luck with the build.

boza

Thanks for the link. Will the kit work with batteries and wallwart power? Or do you have to modify it for desktop/wallwart use?

It can be powered with a wallwart or 9V rechargeable batteries; both are included in the kit.

I think I read on NWAVGUY´s page that if you intened on using it for an extended period of time powered from the wallwart, you should remove the batteries.

I don´t have much time for this project, but I made a little progress today. The new front plate came a day or two after I told the guys at HeadnHiFi about the problem.

Their customer service is great!

I checked the resistances according to the build notes a various places on the board; everything is ok :) . Now I need to power it up and check the voltages.

Edit: So, I checked the voltages, and all is good :) I´m charging the batteries right now, but I have to wait for the 3.5mm male to male cable that I ordered to get here so I can hook my phone up to it.

resized_20180211_180727.jpg resized_20180211_180740.jpg resized_20180211_184329.jpg resized_20180211_184336.jpg

Last edited:
My cable came today, so I could finally try my O2.

First, I tried it with an old headset that I am throwing away anyway, just in case the amp did something uncontrolled.

Then I tried it with 3 differentsets of headphones. It works!
:)

It sounds kind of like I expected it to; not at all :)

In other words, it sounds fine, and I know that I´m getting the best out of my headphones.

Back
Top Bottom