Odd KLH 17's??? Can anyone shed some light?

Gruvin'

Hello AK,

I put these up in BT and a member commented that they had never seen 17's like that.....
I got these years ago, fixed them up and that's all I remember. In any case....after the comment I started looking at 17's and really couldn't find one that looked like mine. I pulled the woofers today and am pretty sure they are KLH woofers (which could have been replacements for the original woofers) but the real mystery is the tweeters. It doesn't seem like the tweeter had been replaced because there's not even a cutout for the 'standard' tweeter. And the tweeter is stuffed with some type of polyfill which is held in place with some wire mesh.
It also became obvious that someone had been in there before, wire nuts, bare copper wire etc. so this may be some kind of mod...I have no idea. But they do sound good!

Any help with identifying what/where/who is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.IMG_3521.JPGIMG_3522.JPGIMG_3523.JPGIMG_3524.JPGIMG_3525.JPGIMG_3526.JPGIMG_3527.JPG

They look like tweeters from the Model Thirty Two, which have a fiberglass insulation disc behind hardware cloth similar to what you have there, although yours aren't fiberglass. I wonder if they're the tail end of production and they ran out of the normal ones.? I also had similar tweets in a Model Twenty Five console a while back.

From what other members have posted I gather these are late production runs. The drivers are all original.

Keep 'em coming though:)

The front baffle doesn't appear to have been modified to accept those tiny tweeters. I'm guessing that it came with those tweeters from the factory. I had two pair of KLH 32's that passed through my hands a while back and the hardware cloth and fiberglass pad were part of the original equipment for those. I don't think these are KLH 32 tweeters, but I also have not seen those tweeters before either. This really is an oddity and might be original. I expect that they ran out of the standard tweets and did a substitution, but that's only a guess.

Back
Top Bottom