Odyssey Amp thread

BeerCan

Tá mé ar meisce.
As a new Odyssey owner I thought I would start a thread for owners to share impressions and information.

I purchased a Kismet in a Khartago case used recently and have been very happy with it. Not only in its performance but in its price. Admittedly I purchased mine used but this has to be one of the better value amps manufacturers around. Build quality is very high, not to the level of the uber expensive but certainly better than a lot of gear in its range.

Sound is very impressive, it definitely tends to the SS side so tube lovers probably would not be overly impressed. Even though it leans SS it is not harsh at all, just clean and in control. It is powering my Focal, not to difficult of a speaker, with control and authority. Nice command of the bass and good overall presentation.

I was not really on the lookout for one of these but it came up for sale locally and I jumped at it. So glad I did. This is a company that should be on peoples short list when looking for value amps.

Congratulations on the new amp. I came oh so close to buying an Odyssey a few years ago and often wonder what I'm missing. I'd still love to try a pair of their mono blocks with some Tekton Pendragon speakers. That's my dream amplifier speaker combination.

cubdog

I bought a Stratos secondhand a couple years ago, and have been very pleased so far.

I bought a stratos off CL several years back to drive a pair of magnepan mg12. Ran it with a tube pre and it sounded very nice. Sold it after the maggies left.

If you're on the fence, the transferable warranty and being able to talk to the person who built it are big factors.

I have had a Stratos Plus for many years. Good solid amp and has no trouble driving Dynaudios. Is it as detailed as my Counterpoint? Nope, but it was 1/4 the cost.

Klaus is awesome to talk and deal with.

I bought a stratos off CL several years back to drive a pair of magnepan mg12. Ran it with a tube pre and it sounded very nice. Sold it after the maggies left.

If you're on the fence, the transferable warranty and being able to talk to the person who built it are big factors.

When the Stratos was in the main system, it was always with a tube pre which had great sound. It's now coupled with a Hafler 945

As a new Odyssey owner I thought I would start a thread for owners to share impressions and information.

I purchased a Kismet in a Khartago case used recently and have been very happy with it. Not only in its performance but in its price. Admittedly I purchased mine used but this has to be one of the better value amps manufacturers around. Build quality is very high, not to the level of the uber expensive but certainly better than a lot of gear in its range.

Sound is very impressive, it definitely tends to the SS side so tube lovers probably would not be overly impressed. Even though it leans SS it is not harsh at all, just clean and in control. It is powering my Focal, not to difficult of a speaker, with control and authority. Nice command of the bass and good overall presentation.

I was not really on the lookout for one of these but it came up for sale locally and I jumped at it. So glad I did. This is a company that should be on peoples short list when looking for value amps.

In your opinion, how does the sound compare to your Luxman (and Exposure)?

In your opinion, how does the sound compare to your Luxman (and Exposure)?

It compares very well to the Luxman. The exposure is elsewhere in the house so it is hard to say. To be fair the Odyssey is front ended by the Audible Illusions L3 that I own, in my mind a stellar pre, and I think this helps the amp compete against the Luxman more favorably. I think it comes down to detail and control. I feel like I get more detail from the Luxman, especial in the mids and highs. The Odyssey otoh seems to have better control of the speaker, especially in the bass.

I am going to be honest. The above might as well be bullshit. Both systems sound awesome with the Focal. I do think the Odyessy is a little better in the bass department, but in a blind A/B who knows?

All I can say is right now I am listening to henryk szeryng playing the Schumann Violin Concertos and it is amazing. I am a little bit in my cups as well :)

It compares very well to the Luxman. The exposure is elsewhere in the house so it is hard to say. To be fair the Odyssey is front ended by the Audible Illusions L3 that I own, in my mind a stellar pre, and I think this helps the amp compete against the Luxman more favorably. I think it comes down to detail and control. I feel like I get more detail from the Luxman, especial in the mids and highs. The Odyssey otoh seems to have better control of the speaker, especially in the bass.

I am going to be honest. The above might as well be bullshit. Both systems sound awesome with the Focal. I do think the Odyessy is a little better in the bass department, but in a blind A/B who knows?

All I can say is right now I am listening to henryk szeryng playing the Schumann Violin Concertos and it is amazing. I am a little bit in my cups as well :)

Thanks, that's a very interesting comment about the mids & highs of the Luxman. I was about to pull the trigger on a Cyclops but a "once in a lifetime" amp came my way so I had to jump on it. The Cyclops is on hold for now until I decide my next move.

Not sure if you saw this but you might enjoy the read (scroll down to "Listening to Amplifiers"):

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/11/27/magnepan-and-tekton-meet-pass-labs-odyssey-job-merrill-red-wine-audio-first-watt-and-vitus-audio/

Last edited:
You already know my feelings on my Khartago Kismet stereo amp. :thmbsp:

p1415556651-4.jpg

Their speakers are pretty good too. I have thought about getting a pair of the Kismet Reference Monitors if I were ever upgade my speakers.

Here's my two cents. I have the Odyssey Candela with the Kismet Monoblocks and absolutely love them. I've had ARC and Levinson gear in the past and the Odyssey stuff performs very favorably compared to them at a fraction of the price. I'm driving the Tekton Enzo's with them and have the Magneplanar 1.7i's that I pull out occasionally also.....using a pair of Vandersteen 2w subs also. The Kismets drive both speakers effortlessly with great detail, tight bass and oh so smooth vocals. I'll be upgrading to the Tekton XL's soon, but the Odyssey gear is here to stay. I know there is a lot of great gear out there to choose from and I've tried more than my fair of components over the years and I couldn't be happier with Klaus and Odyssey.

Love your feedback. I currently have a pair of Khartago Mono's I bought used that already had the black kismet boards in them back at Klaus' getting fully pimped to Kimet status with pretty much ALL the upgrades. They will also have new silver faceplates and look like yours.

I will be using them with my Juicy Music Tube Preamp. I currently have a Stereo Kismet in Khartago which is a very good amp. I need more time to see if they are going to preeminently replace my Job Pre2/225 combo with my Salk's.

- Woody

Here's my two cents. I have the Odyssey Candela with the Kismet Monoblocks and absolutely love them. I've had ARC and Levinson gear in the past and the Odyssey stuff performs very favorably compared to them at a fraction of the price. I'm driving the Tekton Enzo's with them and have the Magneplanar 1.7i's that I pull out occasionally also.....using a pair of Vandersteen 2w subs also. The Kismets drive both speakers effortlessly with great detail, tight bass and oh so smooth vocals. I'll be upgrading to the Tekton XL's soon, but the Odyssey gear is here to stay. I know there is a lot of great gear out there to choose from and I've tried more than my fair of components over the years and I couldn't be happier with Klaus and Odyssey.

Is odyssey audio still in business?

Yeah. Very much so. Klaus is busy and back logged. Been getting stellar reviews during the recent audio show season for his rooms. I spoke with him last week when he told me my monoblocks were almost ready. I'm stoked.

- Woody

I have been sending him emails and has not gotten any response. Maybe his really busy.

I have been sending him emails and has not gotten any response. Maybe his really busy.

He has been very busy. It's usually best to call. I've only once not had him answer and he called back within an hour. What are you wanting? I'm selling my Kismet in Khartago Stereo Amp in Barter Town ya know. ;-) Since my monoblocks should be here soon.

- Woody

I've known Klaus since '99 and he makes no bones about the fact that he prefers to do business with personal contact, in person or on the phone. He avoids e-mail whenever possible. I only use it if his answer is not in any way time sensitive. Usually his answer is "call me." Call him late afternoon or in the evening and have some time set aside.

Back
Top Bottom