Odyssey Amp thread

Those look great Woody. I am sure you will enjoy them They should sound great with the Juicy Music, mine works great with the Modwright and Odyssey amps love tube preamps. How are the Philharmonics' settling in, still impressed?

Those look great Woody. I am sure you will enjoy them They should sound great with the Juicy Music, mine works great with the Modwright and Odyssey amps love tube preamps. How are the Philharmonics' settling in, still impressed?

Yes. Really loving the Phil 3's. I had some outriggers fabricated and added some spikes. I haven't had time to listen to them spiked yet. Probably this weekend with the new amps.

- Woody

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Years ago I introduced a buddy of mine to high-end audio. He dove in head first, discovered Odyssey, and ended up buying a complete system - Mono Extreme amps, Candela preamp, and Lorelei speakers. It all sounds fantastic together! Agreed that they do make terrific gear.

Here's my two cents. I have the Odyssey Candela with the Kismet Monoblocks and absolutely love them. I've had ARC and Levinson gear in the past and the Odyssey stuff performs very favorably compared to them at a fraction of the price. I'm driving the Tekton Enzo's with them and have the Magneplanar 1.7i's that I pull out occasionally also.....using a pair of Vandersteen 2w subs also. The Kismets drive both speakers effortlessly with great detail, tight bass and oh so smooth vocals. I'll be upgrading to the Tekton XL's soon, but the Odyssey gear is here to stay. I know there is a lot of great gear out there to choose from and I've tried more than my fair of components over the years and I couldn't be happier with Klaus and Odyssey.
Hi Mac, I've replied to some of your recent posts on the Tekton thread, but I have a question regarding the Odyssey Candela. I really like Odyssey equipment, but I've been having some minor noise issues with the preamp when turning it on. Sometimes it makes an annoying whooshing sound for a while and if I rap the front panel, it quiets down. I asked Klaus about it and he thought it might need new tubes, but I haven't put that many hours on it. Any ideas or insight on a possible cause? This is the preamp I'll be using with my new Tekton speakers. Thx!

Mgb,
The Odyssey Candela with the Kismet Monoblocks were my fav preamplifier/amplifier combo ever until I fell in love with tubes. Sounds like you might have something loose in your Candela if tapping on it quiets it down. Mine was quite quiet even with 98 db efficient speakers but the gentleman I sold them to had some noise issues and found the noise went away when he turned his router off. He didn't have dedicated service to his system, something I highly recommend. Wish I could be of more help but I've never encountered a whooshing sound. Maybe send it to Klaus to look it over? Good luck

Mgb,
The Odyssey Candela with the Kismet Monoblocks were my fav preamplifier/amplifier combo ever until I fell in love with tubes. Sounds like you might have something loose in your Candela if tapping on it quiets it down. Mine was quite quiet even with 98 db efficient speakers but the gentleman I sold them to had some noise issues and found the noise went away when he turned his router off. He didn't have dedicated service to his system, something I highly recommend. Wish I could be of more help but I've never encountered a whooshing sound. Maybe send it to Klaus to look it over? Good luck
Thx Mac, I think I'll order some of the Amperex ECC186/7316 12AU7 tubes that were recommended on the audiocircle site for this preamp. If the problem goes away, I'm done! If not, I send it back to Klaus for a look over and I still have a nice set of replacement tubes! Sounds like a win-win. :) By the way, I'm looking forward to pictures of your new man cave!!!

Does anyone in this thread still own their Odyssey gear?

I'm thinking of switching from tubes back to SS, and the Odyssey Stratos Extreme monos have caught my eye. I love tubes, but hate the heat, especially here in Las Vegas, where I'd have to shelve the tube amp for 7-8 months of the year. I like to listen to music a lot and the ability to just play FLAC files from my PC > DAC, without heat or warm-up time makes more sense to me.

I've lived with both tubes and SS over the years, they both sound great. One thing I don't like is thin or lean sounding amps, I like them to have some balls. Bass definition is important, as well as resolution, midrange, soundstage, transparency. How do the Stratos Extreme monos stack up? What should I expect from the Odyssey amps? Do they represent their value or can they compete with higher priced gear?

Decent amps, but not better than decent, IME. Needlessly overbuilt where it doesn't really matter resulting in excess cost for the performance standard achieved, IMO.

Years ago I introduced a buddy of mine to high-end audio. He dove in head first, discovered Odyssey, and ended up buying a complete system - Mono Extreme amps, Candela preamp, and Lorelei speakers. It all sounds fantastic together! Agreed that they do make terrific gear.
I loved my Loreleis speakers...

I took possession of a Khartago Stereo last week. Extreme power supply, SE (red) board, Groneberg wiring throughout and WBT RCA's. Its still burning in (now day 8) but at day 4 the bass came in like a charging army. I'm in love.

Decent amps, but not better than decent, IME. Needlessly overbuilt where it doesn't really matter resulting in excess cost for the performance standard achieved, IMO.

While I'm not arguing with awillia6 opinion of Odyssey amps I would point out his view is a minority one. And, while they may be overbuilt that is also one of the reasons why they have a 20 year warrantee

Engineer here. Overbuilding (beyond normal safety margins for operation in extreme conditions) is an engineering failure though it may be of great use as a marketing gimmick. I was addressing the former ("decent amps").

While I'm not arguing with awillia6 opinion of Odyssey amps I would point out his view is a minority one. And, while they may be overbuilt that is also one of the reasons why they have a 20 year warrantee
I completely agree, Odyssey amps are excellent. It's also nice that he offers the Stratos in the smaller Khartago chassis for those inclined. Multiple output devices, high current. great power delivery with low impedances and a proven reliability.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/odyssey2/4.html

Back
Top Bottom