Odyssey Amp thread

Can you elaborate? I'd like to hear more about your experience.

What "elaboration" do you seek? To quantify and qualify the overbuilding of which I speak, simply peruse Odyssey's marketing materials where such engineering failures are touted as highly desirable "features" (and which command premium prices). Beyond that, try some spelunking on your own inside Odyssey's products as well as those of the competition (as I have). If, after your explorations, you don't agree that Odyssey is overbuilt, overpriced, and oversold, then I'd like to hear some "elaboration" from you on just how an additional hundred thousand mikes in filter capacitance (for serious $$$) produces a measurable, let alone a qualifiable sonic, "improvement" in power amplifier operation. No rush, I'm a man of near infinite patience...

What "elaboration" do you seek? To quantify and qualify the overbuilding of which I speak, simply peruse Odyssey's marketing materials where such engineering failures are touted as highly desirable "features" (and which command premium prices). Beyond that, try some spelunking on your own inside Odyssey's products as well as those of the competition (as I have). If, after your explorations, you don't agree that Odyssey is overbuilt, overpriced, and oversold, then I'd like to hear some "elaboration" from you on just how an additional hundred thousand mikes in filter capacitance (for serious $$$) produces a measurable, let alone a qualifiable sonic, "improvement" in power amplifier operation. No rush, I'm a man of near infinite patience...
No need to be a cock. I was asking a question. I’m still waiting on the parts you feel are over engineered and what Odyssey amp(s) you’ve owned/heard. Also given that Klaus doesn’t advertise, link me to this marketing material you speak of.

You say a lot and none of it sounds like you know what you’re talking about. Just axe grinding. Prove me wrong.

Last edited:
As you have only aspersions and accusations to offer, I see no value in the exchange you propose. I've given you a methodology to pursue and an example to ponder. Surely that's being overgenerous on my part for the recompense. Go in peace, young man.

As you have only aspersions and accusations to offer, I see no value in the exchange you propose. I've given you a methodology to pursue and an example to ponder. Surely that's being overgenerous on my part for the recompense. Go in peace, young man.
I asked you to tell me what specifically is over engineered as you claimed. You haven’t given me a single thing. Chump

Hey, this Thread needs some new life! :)

I am the proud new owner of an Odyssey stereo Kismet Reference amp! :banana:

I had a long nightmare with a Levinson amp, and decided to give up and move on. I happened across some stellar reviews of Odyssey amps, and decided to dig deeper. I was looking at their web page and thinking the Stratos Stereo extreme might work well for me. Then I happened across a used stereo Kismet in a Khartago case not much more than an hour from me on US Audio Mart. I emailed Odyssey to get verification it was a true Kimset amp, and Klaus called me back (he seems to hate to email). He verified that it was a true Kismet amp and told me the long story behind it. It was put in a Khartago case at the original owner request for space reasons. Klaus is sending me a new plaque with his signature on it, (I don't need the previous owners name on the back.). It was built in 2020, I have about 19 years on the wtty still :)

The original owner had barely used the amp, it isn't even fully broken in yet. He had bought it, and then shortly after fell in love with tubes, and didn't use itmuch at all. It is in perfect condition and I picked it up for under half the new price. :)

It doesn't have XLR connections, but that isn't a real problem.

I haven't had a lot of time with it yet, and as I said, it is still breaking in, but it is so detailed and smooth, from what I have heard so far. Imaging and presentation so much better than the ML amp I had (it has a problem though-very long story). The bass is also a lot better than the ML. I am somewhat missing the "tube-like" sound of the ML, that is what I like about them, but overall I think I am going to be very happy!

cQl7hReh.jpg

d7burCdh.jpg

XYgIfnxh.jpg

Last edited:

I had a long nightmare with a Levinson amp, and decided to give up and move on. I happened across some stellar reviews of Odyssey amps, and decided to dig deeper. I was looking at their web page and thinking the Stratos Stereo extreme might work well for me. Then I happened across a used stereo Kismet in a Khartago case not much more than an hour from me on US Audio Mart. I emailed Odyssey to get verification it was a true Kimset amp, and Klaus called me back (he seems to hate to email). He verified that it was a true Kismet amp and told me the long story behind it. It was put in a Khartago case at the original owner request for space reasons. Klaus is sending me a new plaque with his signature on it, (I don't need the previous owners name on the back.). It was built in 2020, I have about 19 years on the wtty still :)

The original owner had barely used the amp, it isn't even fully broken in yet. He had bought it, and then shortly after fell in love with tubes, and didn't use itmuch at all. It is in perfect condition and I picked it up for under half the new price. :)

I haven't had a lot of time with it yet, and as I said, it is still breaking in, but it is so detailed and smooth, from what I have heard so far. Imaging and presentation so much better than the ML amp I had (it has a problem though-very long story). The bass is also a lot better than the ML. I am somewhat missing the "tube-like" sound of the ML, that is what I like about them, but overall I think I am going to be very happy!

cQl7hReh.jpg

d7burCdh.jpg

XYgIfnxh.jpg

Congrats on your new amp! I (fairly recently) purchased a Khartago SE+ amp and I think you'll find it to be a great addition to your system. As you are still burning in, don't be surprised at "Jekyll & Hyde" behavior for some time until burn in completes (as Klaus mentions).

Afterwards, you'll get some fine sound indeed... :thumbsup:

cQl7hReh.jpg

d7burCdh.jpg

XYgIfnxh.jpg
Nice setup! If my Coda ever bites the dust, Odyssey is on my short list.

Good to see Odyssey still going strong with great products.

I have a now 21 year old Stratos+ that was so over engineered and built that it outlasted it's 20 year warranty with zero issues.

How many MFGs offer a 20 year warranty?
How many pcs of gear last 20 years with zero issues?

Congrats on your new amp! I (fairly recently) purchased a Khartago SE+ amp and I think you'll find it to be a great addition to your system. As you are still burning in, don't be surprised at "Jekyll & Hyde" behavior for some time until burn in completes (as Klaus mentions).

Afterwards, you'll get some fine sound indeed... :thumbsup:

Thanks, Can you elaborate on "Jekyll & Hyde"?

So far the Odyssey is better in every way than my previous Levinson, except that Levinson has their characteristic "tubey" sound (*), that I like and am missing. I am thinking of trying to find a tube preamp to help bring some of that back. But over the years, every tube piece I have tried, just ends up being more distorted and noisy than anything else. I have a BAT VK-30 in for service at a local repair shop, that has been the best tube pre I have owned. It probably has the best chance of accomplishing that.

Anyone know how good the Odyssey Candela is?

* I really enjoy the deep richness of the lower vocal range and things like bass guitar, that is brought out in what I referred to as a "tubey" sound.

Thanks, Can you elaborate on "Jekyll & Hyde"?

So far the Odyssey is better in every way than my previous Levinson, except that Levinson has their characteristic "tubey" sound (*), that I like and am missing. I am thinking of trying to find a tube preamp to help bring some of that back. But over the years, every tube piece I have tried, just ends up being more distorted and noisy than anything else. I have a BAT VK-30 in for service at a local repair shop, that has been the best tube pre I have owned. It probably has the best chance of accomplishing that.

Anyone know how good the Odyssey Candela is?

* I really enjoy the deep richness of the lower vocal range and things like bass guitar, that is brought out in what I referred to as a "tubey" sound.
As Klaus mentioned to me on the phone, somedays the bass would be exaggerated, other days, “Where did the bass go???” Sometimes the soundstage would flatten then expand, shrink, enlarge, etc.

FINALLY, it settled to a noiseless, dynamic freewheeling state that plays WAY above its price point.

I’m really pleased with it.

As Klaus mentioned to me on the phone, somedays the bass would be exaggerated, other days, “Where did the bass go???” Sometimes the soundstage would flatten then expand, shrink, enlarge, etc.

FINALLY, it settled to a noiseless, dynamic freewheeling state that plays WAY above its price point.

I’m really pleased with it.
That is exactly how my Stratos broke in. It was scary and Klause talked me down

It is so clear, I am really enjoying the amp. It is a lot brighter than the ML or my Proceed. But both of those could be described as "dark". Is brightness common with the Odyssey?

It is so clear, I am really enjoying the amp. It is a lot brighter than the ML or my Proceed. But both of those could be described as "dark". Is brightness common with the Odyssey?
After break-in, it's neither dark or bright; just neutral. Of course, a lot is dependent on your system. Most amps sound somewhat "tizzy" on the high end during the break-in period.

Give it time. It should smooth out - however there shouldn't be too much of a change in the general sound characteristic of the amp.

Last edited:
Here's my two cents. I have the Odyssey Candela with the Kismet Monoblocks and absolutely love them.

Can you elaborate on the Candela? I just picked up a Kismet stereo amp for my Moabs, but I am looking for a more "tubey" sound. I think the Candela may do well.

I would like to start this thread up again. I have some Tekton DI's and it seems like that Khartago might be perfect. I am concerned with wait times though.

Back
Top Bottom