OEM Pickering DL-2E

rainman14624

How would this NOS DL-2E stylus work on my Pickering TL-3 cart? The DTL-3 stylus was worn to a nub when I got it on a Technics SL-5. Really can't afford to put a great deal of money into a stylus right now. This is is priced at $26.

Oh Crap! I always forget the PM4052DE, which is much better on the budget!

And for some reason only exists outside the US.

So what is the verdict on 680/681 aftermarkets? I just got a 680EL. If I want something lighter-tracking, is my only good option the 4608-DEX or its ilk?

Most of your reviews indicate that the 4822-DE or DEE (4824-DE?) are heavier trackers (i.e., > 2g).

A great one is the Pfanstiehl 4822-D7A. The white one that looks like a copy of the D6800EL or D6800AL. It is also sold under the TEI brand name. Cheap, too. $10-$15. The D6800AL copy I got tracks light enough for P Mount, but I don't know if the one I got is unusual or not.

Interesting, I was hoping for something cheaper, lighter tracking, and one that matches the appearance of the original stylus grip. It looks the D7A would fit that bill, and I've had great luck with Pfanstiehl lately. needledaddy carries it. His says D6800SL on it. You like that one as much as the 4606-DEX?

They're different. The 4606-DEX is a bit finer.

Those TEI styli are nice. They are very true to the originals in construction in that they have the crimps on the stylus tube and a tie wire whereas most aftermarket styli do not.

They are a .7 conical on a fat cantilever based on specs whereas the 4606-DEX is a .3 x .7 elliptical on a narrow cantilever. You can drill a hole in the side and use a Stanton brush afterwards because the plastic part of the brush keeper is there, but the final drill for the hinge point hasn't been done.

The only difference between these and originals is they track lighter which isn't necessarily a good thing if you want them for DJ use. But for non DJ use, this is an asset.

As for the D6800SL, the original one is a heavy ish tracking Stereohedron which does pick up fine detail that is not as noticeable with the conical copy though it is still there.

I ordered the 4822-D7A (a Pfan Swiss) from needledaddy. I'll post a review at some point. I'm guessing I'll have it by Friday.

edit: OP - sorry to hijack this thread :)

Do we know for certain that the TEI is made in Colombia, and that it isn't a repackaged Swiss piece?

If it works well then it doesn't matter where it's made, of course. Curiosity really didn't kill the cat (I hope!). :)

Back
Top Bottom