Off Again.

I didn't think those were going to your intended location ! Your living area really seems to be the right place for those to shine. When I was sitting back in the Costco chair I closed my eyes and really picked up on the speaker disappearing and the music coming from everywhere deal. If you'd have asked me I couldn't pinpoint where the speaker was.

That was a first for me ! :beerchug:

I've been doing critical listening mostly in the morning with my coffee from multiple sources and at times I'm speechless at the quality and clarity I'm capable of hearing. One in particular is Nirvana Bleach on YouTube. In between a few songs I heard scratching, I jumped up thinking a newer tube was acting up. Nope, it was the needle tracking on the album from the person that recorded it to YouTube. That was at 1/4 on the volume knob.

That's one thing I've noticed since having the rens again. My thirst for really cranking things up seems to be diminishing, the quality if that's even the right word is doing it for me.

I sure wish all of us Infinity folks were closer to each other, slimp, okeeteekid and others so we could share and experience the different models we all have. I was looking at some Sigma's at the same time I was looking at the rens but decided I'd probably be buying more speaker than I could handle, I'm glad I choose the 90's. Saying that the Epilsons beat them in every way really wets my appetite. I mean can you imagine ! Then you have the Gamma & Beta and IRS V............!

Jazz, you know we have to get together to finish the poly on the other Ren. I've been researching possibilities to fix those cracked caps, the only major flaw in the cabinet. Mine are just starting so a solution needs to be found. If they were black it would be much easier to deal with. I'm working on it, it's a difficult problem.

I'm going to see if I get a pair of Ren 80s they seem to pop up time to time and will try them out. One of these days. Lol

Bahama, good luck man :thumbsup: I'm holding you to a "look what I brought home thread".

I thought you guys would like to see some of what we were dealing with.
IMG_1723.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG
In the top picture you can see the plastic grommets/plastic plates that the binding post go thru. These become very dry over time, to the point if you move your rens and forget to unplug them that little bit of force will cause them to crumble. They seal the box and insulate the post from the plate.

I was able to save one of these. Not easy to do. We're kicking the idea of taking it to a 3-D printing person and having it scanned and reproduced with a UV treated plastic. Mine look ok now but Father Time will eventually catch up. If your looking at the 80-90's this is something to check very closely. If they are cracked your in the danger zone.

In the two lower pictures I think you can see the cracking and lifting of the top cap. I've owned 4 pairs of rens. Two 80's and two 90's. All of them have had this issue. One pair of 80's the back had lifted almost a 1/4 inch ! Enough that you could slide a flat blade screwdriver into. If you feel air pulsing from the rear area your Rens are no longer sealed.

This is a really tough one, if you apply significant pressure to the back of the plate, it's going to split right down the middle adding to the problem.that also raises those two edges that split. For me anyway once it starts this process it really takes away from the look of the speaker.

That cap is solid oak, it's not Veneer over MDF. I think the only real fix is to remove it and take it to a professional wood shop and have it reproduced. Anyone have any thoughts on this please share.

A few pics of mine, split along the top from onstage to offstage (right to left or vice versa), and lifting at the back

Jazz, I forgot to show you the prototype copy I made of the frame. This was just at a quickie to see if I could do it with tools I have.
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
When it cools off and i'm going to do a pair tighter to the drivers and made from mdf, pic is pressboard. If you want a pair let me know. The black coating is flex seal.

I'm thinking while I'm at it I could try and replicate the caps too, the only problem in my head is, oak veneer is going to be tough because of the angles involved.

Aren't the caps solid oak? Do they over time dry out, cup then crack? You could just use another piece of oak. Pretty easy to find.

Great job on the frames, nice idea with the flex seal. You should be in the commercial;)

Yep Slim, that's probably the better term, cupping and cracking. I actually think some of these are 2 piece and glued together. That's why it's so common.

At least with what I have here at the house I don't think I could do anything with Oak. The hardness of the wood and tighter grain would require something more along the lines of a Mill or big drill press with end mills to do the cutting. They are edge cut and recess down into the cabinet maybe 3/8 of an inch. I'm sure it can be done by hand but I doubt I have the skills.

Your right though, I was thinking about like a darker red oak would look pretty nice, giving some contrast.

Think Christmas Jazz :thumbsup:.

Back
Top Bottom