Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

If I remember, the tonearm and headshell are Pioneer. I love the color of the top plate.

Ah yes, from a PL-41. Thank you. I read that they were kind of heavy and then I noticed the size of the counterweight on Steve's table. Now i wish I had kept the Ortofon headshell when I sold my SME 3009.

Attachments

• DSC03067.jpg
    DSC03067.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
And maybe a modifications page next. BTW, just purchased another XA. Will be here soon.

Congrats on your XA. Post pics once she arrives and is set up. Will you keep it stock, or will you be doing some mods/updates?

Just purchased an XB on that auction site for a reasonable price (no steal there). Can't wait to get it home and checked out.

This unit's stock but needs work. I can't get any sound from it.

I wish I could help you. Steve should be along anytime and I am sure he can give you the help you need. That is no doubt a good looking XA... Simplicity at its best. :music:

I think that was the same one I was watching. Glad to see it's going to a good home. :thmbsp:

Once you get it home, make sure you clean the table good inside and out, if the belt looks worn or loosing its elasticity, go ahead and get a replacement belt. If you're not sure about the stylus, you can either replace the stylus or replace the cartridge. I would all of this before connecting to your system and before you play the first vinyl. I would also run it stock a good while before you decide on mods or upgrades.

I'm giving this thread a mid-week bump. If you have any model AR, please post pics,and tell us what mods/upgrades has been done to your table.

I'll play. This is my week old XA, now sporting a new belt and a Grado Gold1. It's been lubed up and is awaiting a new headshell as one brass insert is stripped. I am now also awaiting delivery of an XB and a very nice plinth from that auction site. Don't know yet which table will get the custom plinth. I LOVE this XA already!

The original tonearm was a Sumiko made by Jelco, and the original had a removable headshell. The tonearm was damaged upon arrival. The seller bought the ES-1 without a tonearm, and he selected the Sumiko. Not sure if all ES-1s were made without a tonearm. According to the serial number, this was the second ES-1 made in 1985.

Yes my ES-1 has the Jelco , with the removable headshell .....

OK, I have a question about the tonearm pivot (vertical pivot point). Mine is a little sticky. Is this a lubrication point or does it need to be adjusted with the screws on either side?

OK, I have a question about the tonearm pivot (vertical pivot point). Mine is a little sticky. Is this a lubrication point or does it need to be adjusted with the screws on either side?

No lubrication just adjustment. The bearing screws should just be snug enough without impeding the vertical travel of the arm. The best mod for the stock arm is to replace the bearings with sapphire v-bearings, will reduce the bearing friction dramatically and tracking will greatly improve.

this is my XA, being used as a mono only table. It's sporting a modded Jelco 370H and Ortofon SPU GM Mono cartridge. The plinth is mass loaded finished in gloss black and candy brandywine.

Attachments

• IMG_3893.jpg
    IMG_3893.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3897.jpg
    IMG_3897.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 325
this is my XA, being used as a mono only table. It's sporting a modded Jelco 370H and Ortofon SPU GM Mono cartridge. The plinth is mass loaded finished in gloss black and candy brandywine.

That is one nice looking table, I don't think I would have used the AR logo it takes away from the beautiful wood on the front of the table.
Would like to see some more pics of the table if you have a chance, it's a looker.:thmbsp:

That is one nice looking table, I don't think I would have used the AR logo it takes away from the beautiful wood on the front of the table.
Would like to see some more pics of the table if you have a chance, it's a looker.:thmbsp:

I would love to see more pics as well, and if you have them, especially some detail shots of how you modified the sub-chassis in order to mount the Jelco tonearm. This is one very nice looking turntable. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom