Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

I think my tonearm pivot assembly is shot. The screws are so tight that I can't loosen them and the pivot action is very uneven and tight. :tears:

What do I do now?

I think my tonearm pivot assembly is shot. The screws are so tight that I can't loosen them and the pivot action is very uneven and tight. :tears:

What do I do now?
Try some heat on the screws. One of my XA's had a pivot screw that seemed to be welded in place. A bit of heat and I was able to back it out.

Not quite sure how I'll apply the heat but thanks much Lorenzo!

I have had limited success with a soldering iron held to the pin. It takes a long time for the iron to heat the pin due to the pivot block makes a wonderful heat sink. I addressed some things in response to your PM.

Not quite sure how I'll apply the heat but thanks much Lorenzo!
I have a small wooden handle screwdriver. I heated the tip of it with a propane torch and put the tip of it on the pivot screw for maybe 10-15 seconds. The screw backed right then.

That is one nice looking table, I don't think I would have used the AR logo it takes away from the beautiful wood on the front of the table.
Would like to see some more pics of the table if you have a chance, it's a looker.:thmbsp:

Thanks very much, I'll post more pics soon as I can.

I would love to see more pics as well, and if you have them, especially some detail shots of how you modified the sub-chassis in order to mount the Jelco tonearm. This is one very nice looking turntable. Well done!

The sub Chassis was cut and drill (2 small bolts) to fit the new arm board which was made of wood. This mod was done by the original owner. (Radgear) I rebuilt it using some aluminum plate. I don't currently have pics of this mods but will get some in the next few days.

The sub Chassis was cut and drill (2 small bolts) to fit the new arm board which was made of wood. This mod was done by the original owner. (Radgear) I rebuilt it using some aluminum plate. I don't currently have pics of this mods but will get some in the next few days.

Thanks! That would be greatly appreciated.

How's the flood situation, Marc? Any serious damage?

Some things got wet that shouldn't get wet. Lots of big heavy stuff has to be moved around to other rooms. The Mrs wanted new carpet anyway. Time consuming is the biggest issue. Also waiting on Mr Peabody to show up, we've planned a trip back to the spring of 1958.....I'm going to bring along a "sense knocker" so this issue never comes up. :bash:

Hate you had to go through this Marc, especially due to someone's incompetence. I hope everything gets back to normal for both of you soon. When you get a chance, we would love to see your AR(s).

Need to give this thread a bump so it doesn't get lost.

There are still some ARs we haven't heard from. Post your beauty and what upgrades/mods were done.

This is what mine looks like right now; pretty much stock; but there are some changes ahead:banana: and will post again once beautified:D

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 296
Your XA looks to be in good condition. Need I ask who will be doing your upgrades/mods?

Need some help here kids. What colors are the tonearm wires? Are those tiny wires actually insulated? How the hell do you see them well enough to solder the right color to the right terminal on the terminal post?

Heeeellllp!

Need some help here kids. What colors are the tonearm wires? Are those tiny wires actually insulated? How the hell do you see them well enough to solder the right color to the right terminal on the terminal post?

Heeeellllp!

You will need to use a meter to check continuity since the wire colors are not very clear.

69fgc1.jpg

here's my XA, restored and modded by SFrost :)

Back
Top Bottom