Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

I have a stick of solid 4/4 cherry. I had planned on building a new plinth for that table using the cherry. I also have a small stock of 3/4 red oak, debated that too. If you decide to have a new plinth made, I'd like to have the old one to use for making a few from.

sure thing, will do. red oak would look good and unique

So I just wanted to give an update—I've shipped my AR XA to Marc, and I've decided to follow your advice have him take care of most everything while it's with him. Here's what happening:

• Rebuild arm with SME mount tube rewire, damp, rebuild vertical bearings

Clean subchassis, remove old material at top of well, refinish bearing wells, refinish subplatter spindle, new thrust plates

Motor cleaning/re-greasing/bushings set

Pulley mass load/spin balance

• Heavy rate spring kit (linn springs) and down rigger mass loading system

Adding RCA jacks

• Replace vinyl veneer with gun-stock solid walnut

I know that I could have done some of this, but the added cost for me was minimal and in Marc's hands I know that it's going to be done right, right out of the box (something that I couldn't guarantee, lol...)

As you said, for 1/4 the cost of a TD-124, I'll be able to get something that will approach its audio quality....

Thanks!

You are going to be amazed at Marc's work. A true artist.

So I just wanted to give an update—I've shipped my AR XA to Marc, and I've decided to follow your advice have him take care of most everything while it's with him. Here's what happening:

Clean subchassis, remove old material at top of well, refinish bearing wells, refinish subplatter spindle, new thrust plates

Adding RCA jacks

I know that I could have done some of this, but the added cost for me was minimal and in Marc's hands I know that it's going to be done right, right out of the box (something that I couldn't guarantee, lol...)

As you said, for 1/4 the cost of a TD-124, I'll be able to get something that will approach its audio quality....

Thanks!

That's basically the same table I have but with the plinth done in a different wood. Its going to be a nice table for you. Let us know when you get it back.

Regards
Mister Pig

Quick tech question, which RCA plug plating is best for a turntable, rhodium over silver or gold plate?

Adding RCA jacks

Thanks!
I want Marc to do most of the above but have a question. What are the thrust plates?
I'm on a budget so I'll completely rewire the AC and audio and dampen wand, clean and add sound deadening, add a stud kit w/ball thrust bearings and service the motor.

What I want done:
• Rebuild arm vertical bearings with sapphire, larger brass counterweight if needed for cartridge

Refinish bearing wells, refinish subplatter spindle, new thrust plates

Last edited:
I want Marc to do most of the above but have a question. What are the thrust plates?
I'm on a budget so I'll completely rewire the AC and audio and dampen wand, clean and add sound deadening, add a stud kit w/ball thrust bearings and service the motor.

What I want done:
• Rebuild arm vertical bearings with sapphire, larger brass counterweight if needed for cartridge

Refinish bearing wells, refinish subplatter spindle, new thrust plates

Sounds like you are going to have a mighty fine table there. I certainly understand working on a budget, as all of us have limits on what we can spend on a component. the only thing i would comment on is this. Don't short change yourself on what you want from this table, as its capable of being as good as many a highly sought after classic ones. I found my XA to be very close to my restored 124, which cost me a lot more money. No it didn't quite get there, but it was so close it was hard to justify the cost differences based on sound alone. Mine had the full list of Morin upgrades, and you are pretty close to doing the same thing. Have you considered going all the way with the arm tube swap so you can use a standard head shell, and get a wider choice of cartridge alignments? I know some folks want to retain the classic look of the stock AR XA head shell, and I understand that. But given what Marc can accomplish with this arm, it is one of the best deals in our hobby to let him do a full monty on it. I know it costs a bit more, but the price difference isnt exorbitant. Since you are spending the money to ship anyways, do it the way you want the first time and get it right instead of just good enough. When done its a beautiful table, and you get an awesome rate of return in terms of sound quality for the money you have spent.

Regards
Mister Pig

Sounds like you are going to have a mighty fine table there. I certainly understand working on a budget, as all of us have limits on what we can spend on a component. the only thing i would comment on is this. Don't short change yourself on what you want from this table, as its capable of being as good as many a highly sought after classic ones. I found my XA to be very close to my restored 124, which cost me a lot more money. No it didn't quite get there, but it was so close it was hard to justify the cost differences based on sound alone. Mine had the full list of Morin upgrades, and you are pretty close to doing the same thing. Have you considered going all the way with the arm tube swap so you can use a standard head shell, and get a wider choice of cartridge alignments? I know some folks want to retain the classic look of the stock AR XA head shell, and I understand that. But given what Marc can accomplish with this arm, it is one of the best deals in our hobby to let him do a full monty on it. I know it costs a bit more, but the price difference isnt exorbitant. Since you are spending the money to ship anyways, do it the way you want the first time and get it right instead of just good enough. When done its a beautiful table, and you get an awesome rate of return in terms of sound quality for the money you have spent.

Regards
Mister Pig

thats where im at right now....gotta ship it for any work anyway so might as well wait a little bit till the budget allows going whole hog (no offense mr pig)
step1 for me is plinth, then build up from there so i can have the built in rca and power jacks.

Regards
Mister Pig

^^^^^^^^ Very good advice for anyone considering modifications to their XA or XB.

OK so this may have come up before but is difficult to find with a search, so please bear with me. My (practically stock) XA is back in my main system for the moment and sounds really nice except I have a low but distinct mechanical hum, coming through the speakers, only when the needle is in the groove. Motor vibrations? Would a capacitor swap help?

It seems to come and go, haven't found a pattern yet, except it seems to be louder with the hardboard bottom attached. But that could be a coincidence, I only had the bottom off for like half a day.

Regards
Mister Pig
I was considering that but still have not a clue as to what all of this will cost. I guess Marc is very busy right now.

OK so this may have come up before but is difficult to find with a search, so please bear with me. My (practically stock) XA is back in my main system for the moment and sounds really nice except I have a low but distinct mechanical hum, coming through the speakers, only when the needle is in the groove. Motor vibrations? Would a capacitor swap help?

It seems to come and go, haven't found a pattern yet, except it seems to be louder with the hardboard bottom attached. But that could be a coincidence, I only had the bottom off for like half a day.
Slide some waffle foam under the turntable or a folded towel, see if it gets better. Are the caps the originals?

Slide some waffle foam under the turntable or a folded towel, see if it gets better. Are the caps the originals?

I have some sheets of felt under it and at any rate, I want to get this at the source, not just suppress it. Yes, still the original caps.

I have some sheets of felt under it and at any rate, I want to get this at the source, not just suppress it. Yes, still the original caps.

probably motor energy breaking through into the subchassis via the suspension studs. several ways to tame it. The initial motor vibrations can be tamed some by going through the motor. I install a pod that clamps the motor to the top plate instead of bolting it to, reduces several of the vibrational modes, but not all the 60/120hz. And there is some top plate bracing/damping that can be done. If you have a stethoscope, touch it to the stud at the arm end and see how loud the motor noise is there compared to one of the top plate mounting bolts.

the added bases......did they help with the floor issue? I know how it sounded with my Maggies, the wife loved it.
(and she hears stuff that make bats say " whut?")
They helped a bit, but still get a mis track if you're not walking on air. The bases are sorbethane, and fit perfectly. Will still probably bring back down stairs, but want to listen more with the quality amp,pre,and speakers. It is every bit as good as my Music Hall 9.1 with the 2M Black cartridge. Possibly a bit more "air". Thanks again for such beautiful work.

probably motor energy breaking through into the subchassis via the suspension studs. several ways to tame it. The initial motor vibrations can be tamed some by going through the motor. I install a pod that clamps the motor to the top plate instead of bolting it to, reduces several of the vibrational modes, but not all the 60/120hz. And there is some top plate bracing/damping that can be done. If you have a stethoscope, touch it to the stud at the arm end and see how loud the motor noise is there compared to one of the top plate mounting bolts.

Will do, thanks Marc

Back
Top Bottom