Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Just finishing up on another XB build. arm modified to accept bayonet headshells. The customer supplied an aftermarket stylus from VOM for the supplied Empire 2000. Been a while since I've heard an empire cart, and this inexpensive stylus is actually quite nice.

I'm hoping one of you can help me out... about 6 months ago, my ETL-1 stopped spinning and I've finally gotten around to taking it apart.

The power, 33, and 45 lights all work but the motor doesn't spin at either speed setting. When I put my finger on the motor shaft, I feel nothing when I press the power button or either speed button. However, if I unplug then plug in the turntable, I feel a slight movement in the motor shaft as I'm plugging it in.

Assuming the motor is fine, does anyone here have any idea how to troubleshoot the circuit board in this thing? Any other suggestions would be welcome as well.

Thanks!
Sal

My XB will be coming home tomorrow. However, oil will need to be added to the platter well and possibly to the tonearm life. Can I use the same oil for both, or do each take a different type of oil?
I am hoping I will be able to purchase the oil locally instead of ordering.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Here is my AR XA modified by Larry Spence of Vintage Analog Restorations. He did an incredible job, especially on the the plinth wood work. Larry had help from Marc Morin (i.e. the mass weight kit and the tonearm rebuild). Very pleased with the results. It has all the upgrades we could possible think of employing, including an Ortofon HiJack tonearm lift reproduction (Mirko Djordjevic). The veneered maple top really pops.

View attachment 909133 View attachment 909134 View attachment 909135 View attachment 909136 View attachment 909137 View attachment 909139
Looks awesome! Love the Hi jack repro. What feet did you decide to have put on the plinth? Yours look goof and I haven't found any that do the simple design of the AR justice.

IMG_6335.JPG IMG_6336.JPG IMG_6337.JPG IMG_6338.JPG IMG_6339.JPG I pulled this table out of my closet last month and added a SME tonearm. the table sounds great and I like it better than my VPI Scout! I don't remember were I bought it but I know w it has Marc's Mod's on it.
I should have looked inside before I put the arm on it.

The issue's that I'm having are the hinges won't hold the dust cover and the second is the table is way to much bounce in it. can either on be tighten up?

So, After I wrote this and I took it apart. I don't know the mods that it has done but if anyone can tell me I would like to know!
so I figured out how to gat rid of the bounce but I just have the hinge issue. Maybe I just have the wrong hinges!

IMG_6345.JPG IMG_6346.JPG IMG_6347.JPG

The issue's that I'm having are the hinges won't hold the dust cover. Are they the incorrect ones? can someone point me in the right direction where to buy?

The wood/rubber item is one of Marc's mods to address motor vibrations. I have the same thing on my XB. I bet your springs and perches are new too. Marc also pays particular attention to the platter bearing, post, well and thrust plate of the tables he works on so I bet those were addressed too.

The issue's that I'm having are the hinges won't hold the dust cover. Are they the incorrect ones? can someone point me in the right direction where to buy?
the linn hinges are the same. Yours are probably just worn out. The upgrades on that table are simply a matched set of original rate springs with my ridged centering spring perches in replacement of the original rubber type. the piece added to the bottom of the motor removes a couple of vibration modes from the top plate/studs. There is no tightening of the springs, only ride height and leveling, once the subchassis is suspended.

That table is a bit of a rarity, the table appears to be a TheTurntable, and not an ES-1. the manu date says 1988, however the serial number would indicate 1983. It also has the Haydon 1.5w motor on it which was used only for a brief amount of time in the early production. I haven't seen 84 and up models with anything but the 3W hurst motor. If this is an "83" model, those dust covers were heavier than the 84 and up.

Sorry. Was going to remove my snide remark and acted to slow. I'm probably guilty as anyone rotating gear.

Back
Top Bottom