Offical AR Turntable Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by 4Play, May 23, 2014.

1. Nashou66

Nashou66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Dynamat would work if the springs were a stiffer rate, as Marc said, the added mass needs to be addressed .

I need to get one of my AR's to Marc for his upgrades.

And now would be an ideal time as I got a Sota Sapphire to use while the AR is being hot rodded.

Nashou

M50'sMike likes this.
  2. marcmorin

marcmorin AK Subscriber Subscriber

here's a simple test of the stuff. take a long screw driver and use it like a stethoscope. wrap the shaft with the dynamat, and retest. loss of sound? nope. It works on wobbly panels of metal, like furnace duct work, etc. Once a noise gets into metal, it travels longitudinally. no amount of goo-pucky added to the surface will reduce it's velocity or amplitude. Where does the noise in the subchassis come from? the two major sources are from the suspension studs, and main bearing. Suspension stud noise comes from motor energy into the top plate and transferred up through the springs into the subchassis.

3. L-82

L-82 Well-Known Member

And? What do we do if we have those noises? How would we control them?

4. woodj

woodj Super Member

Equipment design i.e. decoupling.

5. marcmorin

First, go through the motor to quiet it down, then couple the motor to the top plate a bit different than current configuration. it needs mounted more solidly. stiffen the top plate. decouple the springs from the subchassis to reduce energy transfer. The linn upper spring grommets drop the transfer about 6db

woodj likes this.
  6. L-82

L-82 Well-Known Member

Thanks Marc, can you provide some pictures of your ideas?

7. marcmorin

only in email, i'm unable to post photos on this forum

8. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike yesterday afternoon, as he made the trip over to the Pig Hacienda for a listening session. A very nice fellow Mike is, it was a fun way to spend the afternoon. Got at least one record I want to add to my collection. It is my good fortune to meet another audio addict and good AK member here.

That AR table you got has a lot of potential. And Marc is the man to help you along with upgrades along the way. If you do the full Monty of his refurbishments, you get a table that takes several K to beat out. And you don't have to rush it, well unless Marc decides one day to fully retire...or he has an unfortunate accident trout fishing.

Best of luck with the table Mike, I am sure there are plenty of folks here who can help you along the way with getting it just the way you want it.

Regards
    Mister Pig

Rococo, M50'sMike and Audiofreak71 like this.
  9. marcmorin

Had one of those about 4 years ago.............biggest brookie I ever caught, about 25" long Fast water, ulta light tackle. It was going down stream, it came back up stream and tried tying off using my legs. I got myself untangled in this 35mph stream, got it out of the water, put my left thumb in its mouth to remove the hook.......................
    Something in my brain said..........
    IT"S GOT BIG SHARP POINTY TEETH...............brain told hand to let go...........ears heard a big sploish.........the surrounding woods for miles heard some language never uttered before or since.............My oldest son giggled himself to sleep that night.

Rococo, Audiofreak71 and noisefreq like this.
  10. ghamilton

ghamilton Super Member

I sold my AR-ES1 with Linn Basik Plus to get a SOTA Sapphire. Best move I ever made. Why use the AR when you have a Sapphire unless its not in good shape?

11. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

Was your AR-ES1 Modded by Marc?, if not then you missed out on a table that possibility surpassed the Sota, if yours was modded by Marc then your just having fun experimenting with different equipment, no harm in that, we all do it.

Audiofreak71

12. Nashou66

Nashou66 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a few systems around the house why not have more than one top performing TT?

EXACTLY !!!! And I have two AR's one is in int stock condition. So i can have a stock one and a MM AR.

I also have four more TT's besides the three mentioned. I like to collect I guess

Audiofreak71 likes this.
  13. ghamilton

ghamilton Super Member

I know the "Merrell" mods are great but I don't think it's up to a sapphire. Nothing wrong with having another table though.

14. Rococo

Rococo New Member

Long time lurker, wanted to share the centerpiece of my system following a trip for the Morin upgrades. Assembled by Larry Spence and upgraded by Marc.

Went from an AT-LP120 to this awhile back and can't put into words how much enjoyment this simple yet elegant table has brought to me in helping me rediscover my music. While i haven't had direct experience with the big dog tables, my AR recently held its own with my friend's Linn SP 12 going through the same Marantz 2238b and Klipsch KG 3.2 / KG1.

Search for the New Land from Lee Morgan was our test track. One of my favorites is used anytime i want to check my system. While the Linn won out in a close one.. it probably had a good 2k at least put into it worth the arm and cartridge alone. Very happy with this table of mine Thanks to Larry and Marc.

20170603_082052.jpg morinmod1.jpg

BassKulcha, mkane and Audiofreak71 like this.
  15. mkane

mkane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Best feature about the AR's is the user can tinker.

16. Rentz

Rentz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Anyone ever get a knocking / clicking sound from the table after a records been spinning a few minutes?

put on a heavier record today, says 180gr feels heavier and on the second track i started hearing this knocking clicking type noise.
    sure enough let it spin without the needle on and it will make the noise every minute or two but with nothing on the platter i get no noise

17. 4300

4300 Active Member

My guess is the record is weighing the platter down Just enough that it's hitting the pulley.

18. Rentz

Rentz AK Subscriber Subscriber

yeah i tried watching as it rotated kind of hard to see.

this is a really good record too, the hoffman/grey cut of van halen 1

19. 4300

4300 Active Member

Maybe try tightening the suspension just a hair to see if it stops.

20. marcmorin

you should shoot for 3/16" to 1/4" clearance between platter and top plate. Also make sure your pulley is all the way down. They have been known to creep up.