Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Hey guys, question.

AR XA serial XA 64504 can someone identify the manufacture date or year?

There's no way to know for sure, but it's almost certainly from the mid '60s.

Mine is a very early AR-TX (originally a 2-motor), probably from around '63 or '64, and the s/n is in the 18000's, so that gives you some indication.

We know that they were already into 6 digits by 1970. Lots of discussion about s/n's and production dates in this thread:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...difference-between-an-ar-xa-and-xa-91.460741/

Here's mine.

txserial.jpg

From 1978–80, I worked in a design studio at 80 Second Street in East Cambridge. Every day, as I walked to work, I would tip my hat or wave as I passed 24 Thorndike Street, thinking of the larger-than-life personalities who had worked in that building.

And yes, I was a customer, too – I bought a new XA for $78 in 1967. Although by the time I was walking past the building in the late 70s I had bought a TD-165 and given my AR to my nephew. It took me until last year to get an XA again.

Was the screen added or original? Never seen it on one before.

Nashou

Not sure I understand the question. By "screen" are you referring to the bottom plate, or the print? In any event, all of it came with the table when I bought it so I'm assuming it's all original.

So I picked up my XA last August and posted about it then. after living with it for almost a year in ‘as is’ condition I think I may be ready to strip it down and recondition it. First problem is, if anyone remembers, there is what appears to be a 45 adapter fused to the plinth that won’t budge. I’ve applied some acetone to to on both the outside and inside still nothing. Anyone have any ideas for removing it without damaging things too much?
Pics in post pot of this thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/offical-ar-turntable-owners-thread.595003/page-55

So I picked up my XA last August and posted about it then. after living with it for almost a year in ‘as is’ condition I think I may be ready to strip it down and recondition it. First problem is, if anyone remembers, there is what appears to be a 45 adapter fused to the plinth that won’t budge. I’ve applied some acetone to to on both the outside and inside still nothing. Anyone have any ideas for removing it without damaging things too much?
Pics in post pot of this thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/offical-ar-turntable-owners-thread.595003/page-55

Think yer gonna pull the original finish with it. you might try using a heat gun........carefully.......... while you apply some force with a pry bar of sorts (screw driver)

Yeah i figured there was no way to do it without damaging the finish (planning on redoing it anyway). I was just wondering if I could do it without taking everything apart. guess It'll just have to wait 'till the top plate is separated from everything else - probably late July before I'll have the time.

Not sure I understand the question. By "screen" are you referring to the bottom plate, or the print? In any event, all of it came with the table when I bought it so I'm assuming it's all original.

It looks like there is a screen material over the vents of your bottom cover.

Athanasios

Here's mine.

txserial.jpg

Wow, your AR-TX is even earlier than mine!

From 1978–80, I worked in a design studio at 80 Second Street in East Cambridge. Every day, as I walked to work, I would tip my hat or wave as I passed 24 Thorndike Street, thinking of the larger-than-life personalities who had worked in that building.

One of my customers has an office is in that building.

Now:

843944cadcd8f51e2b8ef32d320ef295.jpg

Then:

24Thorndike_c1960.jpg

Tried a heavier dose of acetone and let it sit till it dried and bloom off it came. A quick session with a wire brush and here I am.
20180618_202628.jpg

No way to tell really, but I can't think of any reason to glue it down to the top plate. If you were storing for a long period and wanted to ensure that adapter didn't t get lost, I would think ,the easiest thing to do would be to put it on the spindle.

Are you going to upgrade it or leave it stock and clean it up?

I left mine stock for about a year, then I installed Marc’s arm. The improvement was tremendous. Eventually I got all the Marc Morin mods and the AVFan plinth.

Never gonna sell it.

Are you going to upgrade it or leave it stock and clean it up?

I left mine stock for about a year, then I installed Marc’s arm. The improvement was tremendous. Eventually I got all the Marc Morin mods and the AVFan plinth.

Never gonna sell it.
I gotta say I really like it the way it is, although I have been reading a lot about Mark's work since before I got it sooooo. . . I'm gonna have to contact Mark and talk it through. I'm satisfied from everything I've read that his work does vastly improve the stock deck, just gotta find out about cost and weigh that against other expenses. Deffinately plan to refurb it this summer though.

I gotta say I really like it the way it is, although I have been reading a lot about Mark's work since before I got it sooooo. . . I'm gonna have to contact Mark and talk it through. I'm satisfied from everything I've read that his work does vastly improve the stock deck, just gotta find out about cost and weigh that against other expenses. Deffinately plan to refurb it this summer though.
I think you'll be surprised by how affordable it is.

Back
Top Bottom