Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Anyone want to know what not to do while dusting your AR turntable? Because i now know what not to do while dusting my AR turntable...

Bought something for the XA. Spendy but a class act.

View attachment 1351229

I just got one of those China versions. A lot less, not as nice looking ,but it works great so far On my SOTA ( pic in that thread) But for the XA I got her a gift too.

Can you guess what it is?

31327204937_4e8346f1a7_h.jpg

Figured there'd be issues with the tonearm mass. I think I'm going to hold off on that cartridge. My existing cart has a bent cantilever and i think I'm going to take a shot at having it reworked.

add mass to the H/S, and mass to the CW........7gr at counter weight for every 1gr at H/S..........make sure mass is inline with the vertical pivots and center mass of CW..........not an issue
Marc, is the extra weight at the counter weight just for the sake of balancing the arm, or is there another reason?

Marc, is the extra weight at the counter weight just for the sake of balancing the arm, or is there another reason?

hard to balance the arm when the C/W is barely hanging off the stub. to keep the C/W in a relative position (in relation to distance to pivots) to H/S cart mass, the ratio is 7-1

Bought something for the XA. Spendy but a class act.

View attachment 1351229

Jut picked one of these up a couple months ago after a lot of time hemming and hawing, trying to justify the price. Now that I have it, it is an absolute dream and saves me from worrying. I will say, though, that I forgot to reset it a couple times early on and was like, why is my record skipping?!

Anyone have any experience with the Denon DL-103R cartridge on an AR?
https://www.lpgear.com/product/DENONDL103R.html
I don’t have the 103 but I do have a DL-304 and it sounds outstanding on my XA , however I do have the extra mass counterweight so I can use these types of carts on my table . You can see the CW in this picture if you zoom in , if you’d like another picture that’s more detailed I can provide that .
88FBB79A-E986-4707-BB61-CB72F31F957C.jpeg

Audiofreak71

I think the issue with the 103R and 103 is their compliance and how they work with any particular tonearm and not necessarily how much they weigh. The 103 and 103R are typically used with tonearms that have an effective mass of around 20gr. A modded XA/XB's tonearm has an effective mass of around 12gr and the 103 and 103R have a compliance of about 8cu (at 10Hz vs 5cu at 100Hz). If you use the Vinyl Engine calculator as a guide you'd get a resonance at 12Hz with a modded AR and a 103/103R which is not optimal. Higher compliance cartridges such as the one @Audiofreak71 uses are typically a better fit.

I think the issue with the 103R and 103 is their compliance and how they work with any particular tonearm and not necessarily how much they weigh. The 103 and 103R are typically used with tonearms that have an effective mass of around 20gr. A modded XA/XB's tonearm has an effective mass of around 12gr and the 103 and 103R have a compliance of about 8cu (at 10Hz vs 5cu at 100Hz). If you use the Vinyl Engine calculator as a guide you'd get a resonance at 12Hz with a modded AR and a 103/103R which is not optimal. Higher compliance cartridges such as the one @Audiofreak71 uses are typically a better fit.

Whereas I personally haven't done this, I believe what Marc is telling us is, since the AR arm is a "neutral pivot", you can add whatever weight you need to it to make it work with any cartridge.
Just keep it at 7:1.
Yet another aspect of Ed Villchur's perfect design.

Whereas I personally haven't done this, I believe what Marc is telling us is, since the AR arm is a "neutral pivot", you can add whatever weight you need to it to make it work with any cartridge.
yep, that 7-1 works with any 9" arm. the neutral mass design just makes it more responsive since there isn't the additional +/- restorative forces

yep, that 7-1 works with any 9" arm. the neutral mass design just makes it more responsive since there isn't the additional +/- restorative forces

I believe I understand how the AR tonearm balances the cartridge and the 7:1 ratio but I guess I don't understand if the AR tonearm design negates a resonate frequency that may be audible as predicted by the VE resonance calculator when using a very low compliance cartridge.

Back
Top Bottom