Offical Frank Zappa Thread

grooveman

Decided to start an offical thread devoted to the genius of Frank Zappa. Based on the amount of responses to a previous FZ thread, it looks like several members are also interested in discussing "all things" Zappa. So I'm starting off this initial thread by playing an original mono pressing of the MOI "Freak Out" album.

Hopefully this offical FZ thread will be a place to discuss all aspects of Frank's creative output, and not limited to just a daily playlist. Members are encouraged to share their knowledge and love of all things FZ. Now back to "Hungry Freaks Daddy"!

If this is the official Frank thread well...then... That's right, you heard right, the Secret Word for tonight is Mud Shark! And of course with the Mud Shark Secret Word is the Mud Shark Arpeggio . . . a marvellous little arpeggio, and now the mating call of the adult male Mud Shark . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

Yes.......this is the Psychotic Playground! Btw......the "Flo and Eddie" Mothers lineup was one of my favs.

I have a buddy who wrote his Masters thesis on the Fender Stratocaster as a work of art, and then went on to write his PhD on redemption as expressed in the works of Frank Zappa. He somehow sees what most people miss altogether. Zappa was probably a genius, but you still have to like hearing his music if you are going to listen to it for pleasure. Sometimes I find it a bit too explorative and not so much pleasing to the ear. Have to be in the mood.

"..you have to listen to his music in the mood in which it was construed..."
-- FZ talking about Edgar Varese and applies to FZ as well...

listening to Burn Weeny Sandwich right now...

61Xrstds7dL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You might pretend you ain't got one on the bottom of you........that's why I say.......

Zappa's music can be an acquired taste that's for sure. My first group question in this thread is...."When and how did you first discover Frank Zappa's music?"

Mine was in late 66' while shopping for the first Monkees LP at the tender age of 12. As I went thru the record bins at "Shopper's World" looking for "Meet The Monkees" I stumbled upon the Mothers Of Invention debut LP "Freak Out" a few inches behind.

My first impression of that iconic cover was.....WOW! who are these guys and what's this album all about? Is it some strange kind of comedy record or something? I ended buying the Monkees 1st album, but that image of FO stuck in my mind.

My next Zappa encounter was the cover of "Absolutely Free" in early 67', also placed behind the Monkees record bin at the stores. At this time I still hadn't heard either of these MOI LPs. Radio never played their music.....at least Top 40 AM, which is what I listened to at the time.

It wasn't til the summer of 67' that I finally heard the music contained on these 2 albums. Thanks to a class mate's older "Hippie" type brother's record collection. From then on, my record purchases and listening choices would never be the same!

The first time I heard him was on a promo album you could order from Zappa's record company called Zapped. It was only $1 shipped. Of course it had Zappa on it, Capt. Beefheart. An unknown artist called Alice Cooper, doing a song called Refridgerator Heaven. How does some of that song go......I'm freezin...I'm frozen...I'm icecicle blue...so wo wo cold!

Wish I still had that LP.

Last edited:
I probably first "heard" of him as early as 1975 or so. But I did not hear his music until he was on Saturday Night Live around 1978, I think. I thought he was very funny and my curiosity was sparked.

But not fulfilled. Its not like you hear him much on the radio, save for Valley Girl, but that is another story. My LP budget was meager and I was just starting out, so limited funds went towards the Stones and similiar. As I was 13 in 1978, I was just taking the plunge into hifi and records.

Fast forward to Christmas, 1983. Home from college, a friend and get together and get all spliffed up. He throws on a cassette of Joe's Garage and I was mesmerized. It was hysterical, full of inside jokes, nuances, and crazy satire. And the music was great. The band was tight to the point of perfection. This is Zappa, I thought. I was hooked.

I became familiar with more of us stuff over the next few years. I scalped a second row ticket for $40 and saw him live at the Warner Theater in 1988. One of the most incredible gigs ever. He directed the band like a Conductor. He even left the stage and played guitar not 5 feet away from me.

I was very sad when he died. He was a great artist and a very original thinker. Most of us get a bit more stodgy as we age and I am no exception. But I still agree with most of what he said about anything. Were he not a great musician, I think he could have done well as a journalist, screenwriter, or comedian. He is deserves a spot in the Pantheon of American music right alongside Brian Wilson, Duke Ellington, Stephen Foster, Frank Sinatra, etc. Maybe even next to Bach.

I was living in a small mining town (pop 450) where the gold mine was in the process of being (and then had been) closed. Grade 8 was a great time in my life - we were the oldest kids in school, and girls were something exotic and mysterious (OK, some things don't change), but almost ours for the plucking.

A really smart guy lived on a farm not too far away by bicycle, and I used to go visit. He could play guitar and piano, and had even modified with a rounded bridge a bass guitar that he could bow. He also had "Burnt Weeny Sandwich". It didn't make any sense to me at the time, but by the middle of high school, I "grokked" Zappa.

I always associated Zappa with grey matter, and still do.

What would you consider the best "Flo and Eddie" Mothers album? :scratch2:

I guess the obvious choices would be either "Fillmore 71'" or "Just Another Band From L.A." But I've always liked "Chunga's Revenge" and thought they were great in the "200 Motels" film. Love there backup vocals on the T-Rex stuff as well. And hey.....I've always been a Turtles fan!

Back
Top Bottom