Offical Frank Zappa Thread

The first FZ song I listened to was "Peaches en regalia" on the Italian radio, in the early 70s: it was the title music of the afternoon rock programme, and I loved it at once. Later a schoolmate bought "Overnite Sensation", but it was too hard to understand for non-English-speaking teenagers like us. For many years I couldn't listen to his music, it was just too difficult for me to enjoy, as somebody wrote earlier in this topic.
Then I got a pass for his 1988 concert in Milan: that band was amazing, but unfortunately I didn't knew any of the songs they played, except "My guitar wants to kill your mama", and I got a little bored... I feel so ashamed as I'm writing this, but it's the sad truth: one of my biggest musical regrets.
Finally, after some more time, I saw the light. The first album that caught my attention was "One size fits all", followed by "Joe's Garage" and "Sheik Yerbouti": then I was hooked for ever.
But I couldn't never imagine that one day I would find myself playing with the mighty Ike Willis some of those songs...
A medley with "Sofa #2" and "Tell me you love me" live on Swiss TV in 2000
"I am the walrus" as FZ played in 1988 tour, live on the Italian TV in 2011: if the links doesn't work VPN is needed http://www.rai.it/dl/RaiTV/programmi/media/ContentItem-e1ce9803-f65f-4e1c-aceb-b91a743f108d.html
In case you wonder, I'm the keyboard player on the right :)

Last edited:
Joe's Garage for me, A buddy of mine turned me on to it and we would listen to it and chuckle. It wasn't until I really paid attention to the guitar solo on "Toad o Line" aka "On the Bus that I was hooked then the solo on "Lucille Messed My Mind Up" was the clincher.

I've been exploring his catalog almost non-stop lately especially his live stuff. The man was a great musician!

Too bad Frank's no longer with us. I think he'd really have a fighting chance this year.

zappa.png

I started out sometime in the early to mid 1970's as a young teenager. A friends brother had the equipment to record 8-track tapes. Still have a couple...

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

FUNNY!, Check-out my typing. Hey, I only hung-out in the hallway in front of the typing classes in junior high school, I was never enrolled in the class. Back then that's where all the CHICKS! were...

Notice how I spelled the Zappa album, Ha!

Been listening to Frank since yesterday, listened to a good "Dupree's Paradise" while preparing breakfast.

Love Zappa!! Always have.

Saw him in Houston in '74... it was horrible. 1/3 of the folks walked out, including me.

But!! ... @ least I saw 'him'. :)

I was listening to "Dumb all over" the other day. I'll have to dig up some nugget tonight in his honor. I'm thinking some Jazz Noise would do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom